• The KillerFrogs

Forrest Gregg dies...remember him?

Brog

He got to be 85, but here's the report: Forrest Gregg, the great lineman for the mighty Green Bay Packers of the 1960s whom Vince Lombardi called the “best player I ever coached,” has died. He was 85.
He played for SMU back there in the early 1950's, was sure good. SMU had several good East Texas players, Gregg from Sulphur Springs, Don Meredith from Mount Vernon. After coaching several NFL teams, he agreed to coach SMU after their death penalty, and went 3-19 from 1988-91. I didn't know him, but reportedly, he was a good guy.

HFrog1999

6l200vp7d5j11.jpg

Billy Clyde

I used to live nearby, would drift over to watch Coach Gregg conduct that SMU group's practices, which they would have on the lawn next to M'bird in embarrassingly plain view of passing traffic. Man, they were untalented, small, and few...
Their first conference game back from DP remains a favorite all-time football moment of mine. Playing the role of sacrificial lambs against the despicable Whorns.
First offensive snap from scrimmage, SMU O-lineman (think it was RT) dropped to one knee and gave a straight uppercut to the UT D-Lineman's jewel box. Left him curled up like a fried shrimp on the field. SMU player ejected immediately, UT trounced them as expected, but what a glorious statement by the little guys.

SwissArmyFrog

SMU player sounds like a dick, who - not surprisingly - made a dick move on someone's dick.

First offensive snap from scrimmage, SMU O-lineman (think it was RT) dropped to one knee and gave a straight uppercut to the UT D-Lineman's jewel box. Left him curled up like a fried shrimp on the field. SMU player ejected immediately, UT trounced them as expected, but what a glorious statement by the little guys.

Billy Clyde

SMU player sounds like a dick, who - not surprisingly - made a dick move on someone's dick.

99 times out of 100 that would be a fair analysis. This was that 100th time where probably the ONLY people who didn't think it was epic were UTerus fans. IIRC, I think even the announcers thought it hilarious until they recovered and found their tsk, tsk.

pastorfrog

I used to live nearby, would drift over to watch Coach Gregg conduct that SMU group's practices, which they would have on the lawn next to M'bird in embarrassingly plain view of passing traffic. Man, they were untalented, small, and few...
Their first conference game back from DP remains a favorite all-time football moment of mine. Playing the role of sacrificial lambs against the despicable Whorns.

I don’t like it but I’m glad he did it

He got to be 85, but here's the report: Forrest Gregg, the great lineman for the mighty Green Bay Packers of the 1960s whom Vince Lombardi called the “best player I ever coached,” has died. He was 85.
He played for SMU back there in the early 1950's, was sure good. SMU had several good East Texas players, Gregg from Sulphur Springs, Don Meredith from Mount Vernon. After coaching several NFL teams, he agreed to coach SMU after their death penalty, and went 3-19 from 1988-91. I didn't know him, but reportedly, he was a good guy.
Stupid headline. Who has ever forgot?

frog-hat

...unless the UT player was YOUR son. He was certainly somebody's son.
no doubt. if he was someone I knew I'm sure I would have been pissed at the SMU player.

And if he is related to anyone who posts on this board then I apologize for re-opening that old wound. But I really doubt that's the case. Therefore, I still think it was funny and appropriate given the circumstances.

Virginia Frog

That he would take on the job at SMU after the death penalty says a lot about his character. I am sorry to hear about his passing.
FG was a prophet of sorts. In the mid-'90s he predicted the "haves and have nots" that we have today in Div 1-A college football. (Power 5 schools versus the Group of 5 ones/the leftovers)

His mission at SMU was to counter that trend and unfortunately fell short there.

TCU is fortunate/lucky that we are one of only three (UU, Louisville) that "made it" to the monied class of college football.

I still can't help but cheer for a Boise of UCF to beat the big boys.