• The KillerFrogs

Did we hear anything about how Rogers, Delton, and Duggan did in the spring?

Snoop1122

it seems as Rogers as looked a lot better since the bowl game. If he is fully healthy by late summer/early fall as far as mobility goes, then he should start. I saw some posts on Twitter that he had some great throws to Reagor and a few other guys.

MinFrog

Delton is a pretty known quantity and pending JR's health, he will be the starter.

Rogers needs to continue to get healthy. IMO, he has the most upside, but it is coming up on 2 years since the injury and he still isn't 100%. I hope like hell that he makes it back to 100%. I think he beats out Delton at 95%, but it seems he is 85-90% right now.

Duggan should still be in high school (age-wise). By all accounts he may have the upside that Rogers does, but is still young.

Collins is playing from behind right now.

So unless Rogers gets to >95%, it will be Delton and then Rogers and Duggan splitting reps (while keeping Duggan at 4 games).

Pharm Frog

Not to impose on Moose's role here, but JC has had some pretty good coverage on the QB situation at 247. From nuggets that have been shared here it sounds like Delton, Rogers, and Duggan have all be great in their own way.

Delton apparently has an under-rated arm and we all know he has terrific mobility and leadership qualities. I feel like I'd be surprised if he doesn't start merely b/c he came in as a grad transfer so you feel like that wouldn't have happened if he wasn't likely to start.

Rogers is throwing great, but still recovering some mobility. He's a big, strong kid who can sling it and shed would-be tacklers with relative ease and that's a valuable asset in a lot of ways. If he gets his mobility back 100% he'll be an especially dangerous weapon.

I'd be surprised if Duggan started this year, but I'll also be surprised if he isn't great for us for several years. By all accounts he's got every tool you want on a dual threat QB's tool belt and they're all premium grade tools. When he gets experience added to those tools I gather he has the highest ceiling of the lot of them.

Agree with this except for the part about Rogers shedding would-be tacklers. It seems that would-be tacklers simply bounce off of him.

jake102

I actually think one more year on the bench/healing is good for JR. That being said, not sure he will be able to beat out Duggan in another year. Very close call. Unfortunately for JR, if there's one thing Patterson weighs in on offensively, it's that he prefers a running QB. Sounds like that's probably not going to be JR, regardless of where his recovery lands.

Personally, I really hope JR has a great summer and wins the job this year.

4th. down

Delton is a pretty known quantity and pending JR's health, he will be the starter.

Rogers needs to continue to get healthy. IMO, he has the most upside, but it is coming up on 2 years since the injury and he still isn't 100%. I hope like hell that he makes it back to 100%. I think he beats out Delton at 95%, but it seems he is 85-90% right now.

Duggan should still be in high school (age-wise). By all accounts he may have the upside that Rogers does, but is still young.

Collins is playing from behind right now.

So unless Rogers gets to >95%, it will be Delton and then Rogers and Duggan splitting reps (while keeping Duggan at 4 games).

Believe this analysis is the most logical going forward. GP said Collins injury was serious and he's behind some good competition while Duggan is still probably a year away. That leaves Rogers to press Delton and cannot see Rogers winning the position battle if he's less than about 98% health wise.

If Delton can move the chains and score, he's going to be hard to replace, but we have to score TD's because we don't still have a field goal kicker. So, if it's 4th. and 1 or 2, we probably will have to run for it. However, with Delton under center and Anderson/Sewo as split backs with double tight ends, we have a better chance of making a score or first down than trying a 40 yd. field goal.

westoverhillbilly

I feel that Duggan (and Rogers if healthy) will surpass Collins even if he is able to play.. These two have upside that Collins just doesn't have, despite his being a great team player and filling in for us when needed last year- he's not going to take one to the house from 50 yards out in a conference game like the other two are capable of doing (same with Delton)..

Fosterpark Squatter

To start out the year feel like we'll see Delton and JR switch out, the bowl game was months ago and the coaches thought JR was ready enough to see action there so assuming he doesn't need a whole other regular season of 0 action.

BigPurple87

Asked some players at the FCA dinner and they all said if they had to say now it would be delton. Says he runs the option well. Also asked GP for fun and you can imagine how that went. He said he didnt know yet which I believe

Froggish

Delton will be the best runner we’ve ever had and that’s why he will get the nod. His arm is lacking but he can throw the short game and he’s seen a lot career snaps which speaks GPs love language. Over and over Cumbie and GP have said we they want a duel threat guy...Cumbie has recruited 3 QBs in his time here...SRob, Justin, and Max....all duel threat guys...Until Justin can get back to being a read option weapon (aka Duel Threat guy) he will stay be behind the others....

Froggish

OK, Delton can run. I'm not sold on the other part of being a dual threat. But hope I'm surprised.

@Froggish - better runner than Boykin? You serious?
Tough to compare in that Boykin was in a throw first offense...We didn’t really script a bunch of runs for him...This current offense is different in that it’s heavy RPO..Delton has excellent speed as much or more downhill ability as Boykin

Wexahu

Do you mean currently on the roster? I remember a guy who wore #2 who could scramble and run with the best of them.

Yes, I think Delton will be a better runner than Boykin. Boykin was very good at buying himself time in the pocket but in terms of just gaining yards by running the ball, I think Delton will be a bigger threat.

This won't go over well here, but I personally thought Boykin was a little overrated by our fan base. He could make some spectacular plays but he was FAR from a polished QB and he got a lot of help from the guys around him. Just my opinion.

DeuceBoogieNights

Yes, I think Delton will be a better runner than Boykin. Boykin was very good at buying himself time in the pocket but in terms of just gaining yards by running the ball, I think Delton will be a bigger threat.

This won't go over well here, but I personally thought Boykin was a little overrated by our fan base. He could make some spectacular plays but he was FAR from a polished QB and he got a lot of help from the guys around him. Just my opinion.

Not disagreeing but strictly talking rushing ability, I'll take Boykin.

tcumaniac

I spoke with someone that works with the team and he disagrees with a lot of the things JC has been posting over at 247, mainly in regards to Delton. His take was that Delton initially surprised/impressed a lot of people at the beginning of spring ball with his athleticism, work ethic and leadership, but once live scrimmages began, Delton left A LOT to be desired with some very poor decision making and missed reads on a fairly consistent basis.

He also thinks that Duggan is already as good if not better than Justin and that Max is clearly our QB of the future.

He said Collins is on track to being 100% healthy after rehabbing from ankle surgery he had done after the Baylor game and is the most likely starter come September.

He thinks Delton, while extremely fast and athletic, will result in an offense with limited upside and an underwhelming passing threat. He holds a pretty strong opinion that outside of a few creative wrinkles, we do not want to see Delton under center next fall.

As I stated previously, he sees Mike Collins as our most likely starter. Delton will be used for occasional wrinkles similar to wild frog with an additional passing threat. And Justin and Max are a toss up, with Max possibly already with an edge.

*Don't shoot the messenger* (all the asshats over at 247 get really butt hurt when anyone posts something that contradicts what Jeremy says)

4th. down

I spoke with someone that works with the team and he disagrees with a lot of the things JC has been posting over at 247, mainly in regards to Delton. His take was that Delton initially surprised/impressed a lot of people at the beginning of spring ball with his athleticism, work ethic and leadership, but once live scrimmages began, Delton left A LOT to be desired with some very poor decision making and missed reads on a fairly consistent basis.

He also thinks that Duggan is already as good if not better than Justin and that Max is clearly our QB of the future.

He said Collins is on track to being 100% healthy after rehabbing from ankle surgery he had done after the Baylor game and is the most likely starter come September.

He thinks Delton, while extremely fast and athletic, will result in an offense with limited upside and an underwhelming passing threat. He holds a pretty strong opinion that outside of a few creative wrinkles, we do not want to see Delton under center next fall.

As I stated previously, he sees Mike Collins as our most likely starter. Delton will be used for occasional wrinkles similar to wild frog with an additional passing threat. And Justin and Max are a toss up, with Max possibly already with an edge.

*Don't shoot the messenger* (all the asshats over at 247 get really butt hurt when anyone posts something that contradicts what Jeremy says)

Maniac, I've been thinking along those lines for a month or so. I mean, you are who you are, and Delton's upside is limited because of his passing. We get behind by a couple of TD's and Delton passing the ball won't bring us back but can Collins? Collins has missed a lot of reps. from last year and he will enter fall behind the other 3. I still think barring any injuries, Max does a RS, so that leaves Rogers. I just cannot see Delton changing that much from KState. However, if Rogers is 98% by our first game, I could see him starting at least 1 of our non conference games before the 12 begins. Whoever comes out of the Purdue game with a W will start in the first game of the 12.

Froggish

This isn’t a huge stretch on Delton...We all know he has limited upside. Hell we spent the last 3 years watching how limited he is. His accuracy at KSU was awful.....Having said that I think this year GP will be more close handed with Cumbie and the QB. He’s probably willing to limit the offense if that means less turnovers and poor execution. I also think we will be able to establish a run game this year. Still, I think Delton gets the early nod over the others with a quick leash. With the new redshirt rule weeks 1-3 could turn into an open competition. Duggan/JR will get plenty of chances to win the job. Collins was impressive for about 3 quarters total as his rain as a starter. Still, that 3 quarters more than the others..

One thing I do find interesting is that initially there were lots of good things said about how “surprisingly good” Delton was throwing the ball...Recent comments have all been in the “He’s so good for our QB room” camp...