• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 signs new TV contract

MAcFroggy

- There was only one bidder for the Big 12 Championship game, they tried to get Stadium involved and NBC but neither was in the ballpark of value needed. ESPN/ABC was the best partner available, glad they went there.

Last question... Didn't fox initially offer the Big 12 the high teens for the CCG? Did the big 12 overplay their hand a little bit and end up losing money?

The one game per year, for now, is the one OOC game that each Big 12 team “owned” the right to outside of our other rights agreements. In past years, TCU’s has been on FSSW for the most part. And yes, it will probably be the game we have against a [ Finebaum ] team every year.

Now, that COULD change, if ESPN decides to offer a bonus payment to move a game or two to ESPN+ from their conference slate, but so far I don’t think they will.

Moose Stuff

This doesn't seem any different than what we've always had, it'll just be on ESPN+ instead of FSSW. UT was already putting at least one football game per year on LHN and OU was already putting at least one game per year onto their Fox network.

ESPN+ is definitely different than LHN or Fox network.

Last question... Didn't fox initially offer the Big 12 the high teens for the CCG? Did the big 12 overplay their hand a little bit and end up losing money?

No doubt the Big 12 regrets how they handled the initial negotiation around the return of the Big 12 Championship Game... ESPN and Fox didn’t exactly cooperate either, but the Big 12 PROBABLY could have gotten more per game through 2025 by just working with a single rights owner at the time.

In general, the Big 12 is constantly worried about trying to keep both Fox and ESPN happy and engaged for future rights needs, sometimes to their detriment. The 2025 negotiations will be interesting.

Dman890

I think this is a good move. It will keep our per team avg in a solid third place behind SEC/Big 10. Also, this is as close to a Big 12 network that we will ever get under the current set up.

Even if you have to pay for ESPN+ access, at least its reliable and available on mobile.

I get A&M's snarky tweet, but I think the Big 12 only works if UT/OU get their incremental on top of the rest. That's just the way it goes.

Purp

I think this is disingenuous.

For starters, due to LHN owning wHorn tier 3 rights this would have never included them without totally rearranging that agreement. I don't see that happening until closer to the expiration of that deal.

Next, OU has a similar arrangement for tier 3 right with Fox so their stuff was also off the table. In other words, I don't see any favoritism being played here by the conference. It's part of the B12 landscape as the only conference with tier 3 liberties held by each university.

Finally, if aTm was still with the B12 they'd have a deal very similar to OU for their tier 3 rights and also would have been excluded from this newly announced deal. This is just aTm acting like the doofus in the corner who nobody likes making a snarky comment that everyone except him knows is totally specious.

I'm with you that I'm not enthusiastic about the ESPN+ arrangement b/c I'd prefer to not have to manage another subscription to consume my games, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it b/c I'm pretty sure it was all going to go this way sooner or later anyway so it's not much different than it would have been.

pastorfrog

Living outside the B12 footprint this is great. I pay 25 bucks extra each month on satellite to get FSSW. Now I’ll pay 5 and I bet they’ll steam way more baseball games.

Seems like OU/UT and/or their fans are eager to leave the Big 12. Just hope TCU is not caught with it's pants down. This is as good as a network deal, but it would of been nice to have a Big 12 Network. Big 12 could expand to bring in more markets. Wonder now with this new deal Big 12 now really does go after the Arizona schools or others to gain more viewership? It would certainly help gain more confidence that Big 12 will stabalize if the Arizona schools did make way to the Big 12.

LeagueCityFrog

Paging Donati, CDC, and Joe Castiglione... please go get Arizona and Arizona State, add them to this new TV deal and the bigger Tier 1 and 2 rights coming in 2024, stick them in the Big XII 'Southwestern' division with the 4 Texas schools, and TCU's future has been secured after 2024.

The Pac 12 can go back to being the Pac 10 and no one will care or they can add Houston and BYU or Boise. Regardless, TCU and the Big XII will be looking good. We still owe the Pac 12 for swiping Colorado and trying to swipe 'Our Coach.'