• The KillerFrogs

To Those Who Know Jamie Best.....

PurpleBlood87

only dixon and his wife can answer that question......but, does it matter if he came to tcu for the tenure of his contract and not to finish his career?

the tcu basketball program is not a destination program at this time and i am not sure if it ever will reach that status.

i don't fault the guy for looking at the ucla job anymore than i wouldn't fault tcu for asking for the full buyout. if he wants to be in socal so be it. you know the costs.

as far as his legacy in ft worth he did bring credibility and wins, but he also has left a mess with a roster that could be far worse than what he inherited from trent.

ironic isn't that for all those losses and playing in a high school gym trent landed and KEPT on campus

mike williams
vlad
brandon parrish
jd miller
alex robiinson
karviar shepherd
chris washburn
kenrich williams

guess we will have to see how all this plays out, but it does raise and interesting question who put the program in a better position to succeed after them

Trent Johnson didn't leave the cupboard bare.

PurpleBlood87

Never burn a bridge from either side. Scorched earth will get you a whole lot of ex-employers, lovers and clients that will not ever reach back out to you or help you out when in need.

Good rule of thumb to live by.

Or if you are Russia scorched earth tactics will pay off when Napoleon or Hitler invade your country.

TX_Krötenechse

So much speculation with so little information

The simple fact is that UCLA is a better job than TCU. He’ll make more money, have better recruits, more fan support, and have a lot more historical clout/prestige. The family ties are bonuses.

The other thing is that coaches, including Patterson and Schloss, do this all the time. If JD ends up staying, I expect he’ll do just as good a job as he’s done his whole career - he’s not going to tank TCU out of spite, that’s just dumb.

MagicFrog

So much speculation with so little information

The simple fact is that UCLA is a better job than TCU. He’ll make more money, have better recruits, more fan support, and have a lot more historical clout/prestige. The family ties are bonuses.

The other thing is that coaches, including Patterson and Schloss, do this all the time. If JD ends up staying, I expect he’ll do just as good a job as he’s done his whole career - he’s not going to tank TCU out of spite, that’s just dumb.

Well now apparently Rick Barnes is who they want so Dixon will be stuck here with a bunch of people who don't trust him anymore. I'm sure he's thinking "Gee thanks UCLA".

Eight

Well now apparently Rick Barnes is who they want so Dixon will be stuck here with a bunch of people who don't trust him anymore. I'm sure he's thinking "Gee thanks UCLA".

it only matters if the players on his roster and his staff buy in and believe in him.

posters on message boards don't mean squat and if the team wins the seats will get filled.

MagicFrog

So Schloss’s guys are all distrustful too? We’re screwed!

I just think the way the whole thing went down did Dixon and TCU no favors. I think most people have their eyes open when good positions in their industry are open. Who knows what was in Jamie's mind? Maybe he was curious about it, maybe he really had no intention of leaving this job but was interested in hearing what that job was about, or maybe he's really unhappy here and is looking. But for his name to get out as a "favorite" for that job when they haven't even done their due diligence to find out his buyout situation is bush league. In the end it leaves Dixon in a horrible position, doesn't make TCU look particularly good either, and UCLA is the least affected other than looking a little silly.

Given what has been reported in the news how could anyone completely trust Jamie?

UCLA seems like it's run by some might unprofessional people.

MagicFrog

it only matters if the players on his roster and his staff buy in and believe in him.

posters on message boards don't mean squat and if the team wins the seats will get filled.

I'm not talking about message board posts; I'm talking about whats been in the newspapers which has been plenty to damage JD.

Eight

I'm not talking about message board posts; I'm talking about whats been in the newspapers which has been plenty to damage JD.

people read the paper still?

why in the world do people really give so much credence to what gets written and said by talking heads when it doesn't really freaking matter.

more importantly recruits who flip high school teams and select teams at the drop of a hat to better their situations understand this was a business discussion that dixon had to consider.

Last edited:

Eight

I just think the way the whole thing went down did Dixon and TCU no favors. I think most people have their eyes open when good positions in their industry are open. Who knows what was in Jamie's mind? Maybe he was curious about it, maybe he really had no intention of leaving this job but was interested in hearing what that job was about, or maybe he's really unhappy here and is looking. But for his name to get out as a "favorite" for that job when they haven't even done their due diligence to find out his buyout situation is bush league. In the end it leaves Dixon in a horrible position, doesn't make TCU look particularly good either, and UCLA is the least affected other than looking a little silly.

Given what has been reported in the news how could anyone completely trust Jamie?

UCLA seems like it's run by some might unprofessional people.

again, why put faith in what is reported when we have multiple instances of what was reported was flat wrong.

10 years ago this would have happened and a handful of people would have known about it, but now in the age of social media where there is a rush to be first and throw [ Finebaum ] out and wait to sort out the details we get these situations.

who truly knows the story about the negotiations? sources? really......it will be okay.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
UCLA did a lot of leaking, which in turn stirred a lot of anger around Fort Worth. As stated in Gil's piece covering this drama, Dixon at no time lied to or was anything but forthright in his dealings with Donati and TCU. While in hindsight, this made the situation look ominous, but in truth was simply TCU maintaining a little bit of dignity and handling things with clarity and purpose.

UCLA and it's team probably has no idea what such a unified front would be like, seeing as how they are a splintered mass of competing groups quicker to attack each other than the many problems they face. They probably thought that leaking would weaken the resolve of the TCU team, lead them to bow to pressure and drop the $8 million. That didn't happen. Donati has successfully weathered the storm twice now, and he seems to be a very steady hand at the helm.

HFrog1999

UCLA did a lot of leaking, which in turn stirred a lot of anger around Fort Worth. As stated in Gil's piece covering this drama, Dixon at no time lied to or was anything but forthright in his dealings with Donati and TCU. While in hindsight, this made the situation look ominous, but in truth was simply TCU maintaining a little bit of dignity and handling things with clarity and purpose.

UCLA and it's team probably has no idea what such a unified front would be like, seeing as how they are a splintered mass of competing groups quicker to attack each other than the many problems they face. They probably thought that leaking would weaken the resolve of the TCU team, lead them to bow to pressure and drop the $8 million. That didn't happen. Donati has successfully weathered the storm twice now, and he seems to be a very steady hand at the helm.

I completely agree.

I don’t blame Dixon for being interested in the UCLA job. I think how they handled it made them look bad. Hopefully that results in Dixon staying several more seasons and elevating our program

H0RNEDFR0G

Yes, hindsight is great, I agree there, and there's no question about the ability of the players. But there's just a little bit of a hired gun aspect to bringing in kids from overseas, and I'm not sure it's a great trend for a program in the long run. You gotta get who you can get though.

Seems to be working out pretty well for Texas Tech.