• The KillerFrogs

Uhhh...Dixon to UCLA rumor/ news

AddRan Clark

Funny that I remember those same type of comments about our baseball program a few years ago when it came to playoff and seedings...yet we had a coach that pushed past it, made some solid runs deep in the playoffs in back to back years and now we get a lot more benefit of the doubt than most programs

Sure, but this basketball program has done nothing to deserve the benefit of the doubt so far. If Dixon were to stay, and our program is consistently in a place to win games in the NCAA tournament, then we can start making comparisons to the baseball team.

As it stands now, if both UCLA and TCU were on the bubble, with similar records/profiles, and there's only one spot, we know who's getting picked.

flyfishingfrog

Sure, but this basketball program has done nothing to deserve the benefit of the doubt so far. If Dixon were to stay, and our program is consistently in a place to win games in the NCAA tournament, then we can start making comparisons to the baseball team.

As it stands now, if both UCLA and TCU were on the bubble, with similar records/profiles, and there's only one spot, we know who's getting picked.
My point was maybe if he didn’t run off to where he can live off the accomplishments of others...maybe he could build something here that got the benefit of the doubt - much like two other guys I know...

y2kFrog

“As many have speculated, his interest in UCLA is very real. Both his and his wife’s parents still live in Southern California, and he is intrigued by the name recognition of a program like the Bruin’s - especially after TCU was snubbed by the NCAA Tournament this year. Dixon believes that, with 11 National Championships, UCLA would have gotten the benefit of the doubt, whereas his TCU team clearly did not.”

If he leaves for UCLA because we got left out after going 7-11 in conference he’s tenure at UCLA will be really short. At UCLA 7-11 in conference gets you fired whether you make the tourney or not.

netty2424

If he leaves for UCLA because we got left out after going 7-11 in conference he’s tenure at UCLA will be really short. At UCLA 7-11 in conference gets you fired whether you make the tourney or not.
Yah I was really surprised to see that in the article. It wasn’t a direct quote so who knows if it’s true.

Zubaz

I'm sorry, but what? Why does he deserve an extension and pay raise at this point? How about finish better than .500 in conference then a raise can be discussed. Just because we are better than we were, (mostly with CTJ's players last year) the year still ended on a down note. Then this clown show. So why a raise?
You're worth what someone is willing to pay you.
Ohio State?

WhiteHispanicFrog

Curmudgeon
Ohio State?

27176B0D-2DBA-42B5-8339-4423F53EB014.gif

That's wex-bait.

Hell Sent Frog

UCLA is going to embarrass themselves if they are not careful.
They are looking at getting into a bidding war with TCU, not to mention having to pay the buyout.

I suspect that UCLA may be all hat with not as many cows as they would have you believe.

When it comes to finding money for their sports programs these days, TCU seems to be quite competitive.
Why is everyone assuming that UCLA has more money to spend than TCU?
Big 12 teams receive more money from their conference than PAC-12 teams do.
They are a public university in California and likely have many more people to answer to regarding monies spent in a case like this one than the TCU administration does

UCLA doesn't have the balls to steal a damn thing from old TCU.

I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so.

BABYFACE

So how does JD feel if he is only staying because TCU is requiring the $8M buyout, and he would really like to leave? Making him stay because his dream job's employer was too cheap to fund the buyout will not make him want his dream job any less. He might very well be left in a job he doesn't want, and have animosity towards his current employer because they stood between him and his nervana. I've seen this exact scenario over a dozen times in my capacity due to executive noncompete agreements

Yes and no, IMO. Dixon wanted to be here seemed content on finishing coaching here. Probably never thought he would be offered the UCLA gig. But, then it happened. So, he is still in a place he wants to be.

I would agree with you if Dixon was interviewing with a half dozen schools and looking to get out of Dodge. But that wasn’t the case, UCLA came calling and Dixon decided to listen and entertain the idea.

Last edited:

Eight

So how does JD feel if he is only staying because TCU is requiring the $8M buyout, and he would really like to leave? Making him stay because his dream job's employer was too cheap to fund the buyout will not make him want his dream job any less. He might very well be left in a job he doesn't want, and have animosity towards his current employer because they stood between him and his nervana. I've seen this exact scenario over a dozen times in my capacity due to executive noncompete agreements

if your "dream employer" was too cheap to pay the buyout do you really think they are going to give you the things you need to be competitive down the road?

ucla has a $280M deal with under armour and between that, players in the nba etc.. they couldn't come up with $8m?

doesn't sound like a dream and dixon should know that returning home doesn't always mean smooth sailing

Last edited:

BABYFACE