• The KillerFrogs

Uhhh...Dixon to UCLA rumor/ news

Bruin Steve

Appreciate the info, Bruin Steve. What do you think of this potential hire?

I am happy with it. I think Jamie is a very good coach, has a reasonably good resume and seems to be a pretty good guy. I think he will do very well at UCLA...and will comfortably fit into the environment.

A lot of those who are unhappy with the hire were really not going to be happy with much of anything. Happened when we hired Alford as well--and then, when Alford didn't do that well, those folks, of course, gloated--as if it proved them right. But here's the problem--when UCLA makes a coaching change, those people get all excited--as if, somehow or another, we are about to sign the greatest, proven coaching legend since John Wooden. Of course, there is always a chance that, under perfect circumstances, they get their wish...In this case, the real dream candidate was not Calipari or Tony Bennett--rather Billy Donovan--who, if my info is correct, at one point a year or two ago, thought he wasn't going to last at OKC and was ready to return to college hoops and wanted to do it at UCLA--he's the sort of personality that fits in well in LA...and he knows LA well and is comfortable here. But, well, it was a matter of timing--we weren't in a position to pull the trigger then...and now, Donovan is a little more secure at OKC having just extended his contract.

But, these "fans" were just all to ready to believe that either we were going to get Donovan...or somehow pry Brad Stevens from the Celtics...or get Tony Bennett or Jay Wright or Mark Few to leave their current teams...Then these folks were ecstatic thinking there was anything real about the Calipari rumors (which were never as close as the media would have you think). Well, if you are a fan with that "list" as your only acceptable choices, then you've pretty much set yourself up to be disappointed and unhappy.

Reasonably, the list, aside from Jamie, would have been Cronin, Beard, Musselman, Krystowiac, Randy Bennett, Shaka Smart, Buzz Williams, Nate Oates, Kevin Keatts, Steve Prohm, Gregg Marshall and others in that approximate category--winning coaches at a decent level school who might move to a bigger name program for the right deal...Of course, then guys start coming off that list for various reasons--for some it's the question of possible NCAA violations, for others, other reasons--like, for Beard, the problem is that he is waiting for the Texas job to open...and Texas is waiting for him. He supposedly made a demand that any contract include a "free out" if Texas comes calling.

Outside that list, I know UCLA contacted Thad Matta--whose resume is exceptional...but Thad's health is actually still a major issue...and may keep him from ever coaching again.

Aside from the outside shot at Donovan or Stevens, there are several NBA coaches--mostly now out-of work former NBA coaches who may have contacted UCLA--Hoiberg, of course--but he just got his dream job in Nebraska, Earl Watson (a UCLA alum, but no college experience--just NBA), the Van Gundy brothers (both Southern California natives), maybe David Blatt...Luke Walton often mentioned since his job with the Lakers is tenuous at best...But, really, the only one on that list with substantial college experience is Hoiberg.

So, all things considered, I think Jamie is the guy with the best college experience combined with a major connection to Southern California (aside from growing ub here, his first couple of assistant coaching gigs were local as well).

He's going to inherit an incredible roster, talent and potential-wise. You have to assume he'll do a better job coaching than Steve Alford (who, frankly, was a poor coach of defense or of fundamentals) and should be able to win fairly quickly...

TX_Krötenechse

I am happy with it. I think Jamie is a very good coach, has a reasonably good resume and seems to be a pretty good guy. I think he will do very well at UCLA...and will comfortably fit into the environment.

A lot of those who are unhappy with the hire were really not going to be happy with much of anything. Happened when we hired Alford as well--and then, when Alford didn't do that well, those folks, of course, gloated--as if it proved them right. But here's the problem--when UCLA makes a coaching change, those people get all excited--as if, somehow or another, we are about to sign the greatest, proven coaching legend since John Wooden. Of course, there is always a chance that, under perfect circumstances, they get their wish...In this case, the real dream candidate was not Calipari or Tony Bennett--rather Billy Donovan--who, if my info is correct, at one point a year or two ago, thought he wasn't going to last at OKC and was ready to return to college hoops and wanted to do it at UCLA--he's the sort of personality that fits in well in LA...and he knows LA well and is comfortable here. But, well, it was a matter of timing--we weren't in a position to pull the trigger then...and now, Donovan is a little more secure at OKC having just extended his contract.

But, these "fans" were just all to ready to believe that either we were going to get Donovan...or somehow pry Brad Stevens from the Celtics...or get Tony Bennett or Jay Wright or Mark Few to leave their current teams...Then these folks were ecstatic thinking there was anything real about the Calipari rumors (which were never as close as the media would have you think). Well, if you are a fan with that "list" as your only acceptable choices, then you've pretty much set yourself up to be disappointed and unhappy.

Reasonably, the list, aside from Jamie, would have been Cronin, Beard, Musselman, Krystowiac, Randy Bennett, Shaka Smart, Buzz Williams, Nate Oates, Kevin Keatts, Steve Prohm, Gregg Marshall and others in that approximate category--winning coaches at a decent level school who might move to a bigger name program for the right deal...Of course, then guys start coming off that list for various reasons--for some it's the question of possible NCAA violations, for others, other reasons--like, for Beard, the problem is that he is waiting for the Texas job to open...and Texas is waiting for him. He supposedly made a demand that any contract include a "free out" if Texas comes calling.

Outside that list, I know UCLA contacted Thad Matta--whose resume is exceptional...but Thad's health is actually still a major issue...and may keep him from ever coaching again.

Aside from the outside shot at Donovan or Stevens, there are several NBA coaches--mostly now out-of work former NBA coaches who may have contacted UCLA--Hoiberg, of course--but he just got his dream job in Nebraska, Earl Watson (a UCLA alum, but no college experience--just NBA), the Van Gundy brothers (both Southern California natives), maybe David Blatt...Luke Walton often mentioned since his job with the Lakers is tenuous at best...But, really, the only one on that list with substantial college experience is Hoiberg.

So, all things considered, I think Jamie is the guy with the best college experience combined with a major connection to Southern California (aside from growing ub here, his first couple of assistant coaching gigs were local as well).

He's going to inherit an incredible roster, talent and potential-wise. You have to assume he'll do a better job coaching than Steve Alford (who, frankly, was a poor coach of defense or of fundamentals) and should be able to win fairly quickly...
You know that there isn’t a minimum word count on posts here right

flyfishingfrog

Give me a break - they contacted everyone they could before Dixon

He is like number 6 on the list at best

Settling in everyWay and it shows with the buyout problen

Bruin Steve

Give me a break - they contacted everyone they could before Dixon
He is like number 6 on the list at best

Of course...they did a thorough job...You wouldn't want to hire a coach, then find out you could have had someone you thought was untouchable. How would you feel if TCU hires a coach...then later you learn that, say, Mark Few wanted the job--but your AD never even called him?

Famously, back when Jim Harrick was hired, someone in the press asked him about being the sixth choice...And Harrick responded "I wasn't my wife's first choice either"...

Billy Clyde

Funny how

Aside from the outside shot at Donovan or Stevens, there are several NBA coaches--mostly now out-of work former NBA coaches who may have contacted UCLA--Hoiberg, of course--but he just got his dream job in Nebraska, .

Damn shame there can only be one Basketball Coach at Nebraska, since it seems like it's everyone's "dream job."

Moose Stuff

Make it stop.