• The KillerFrogs

Uhhh...Dixon to UCLA rumor/ news

netty2424

obtained secret footage of adjd heading to meet with dixon's representation

dr_strangelove2_900x507_758_426_81_s_c1.jpg
He’s put on weight.

PO Frog

Slam dunk breach of contract, no questions asked. I mean, I'm assuming a halfway literate lawyer wrote the contract in the first place.
You're right. That might only take a couple of years to work through the system and get to a judgment. And that's presuming you don't get any counter-claims or allegations that TCU didn't breach in any fashion, such as prohibiting him from hiring certain candidate or forcing him to fire certain staff members. My bad - just send them a letter and I am sure they will cut the check post haste.

The buy outs are hollow if both parties agree to renegotiate. But ADJD has the leverage if he wants it. Up to him and the rest of the TCU brass really.

We are going to see if ADJD is worth a poop. I'm pulling up a chair and eating popcorn. TCU doesn't need to settle .

For fun:
How about... if they want 2 million off then if Big 12 ever breaks apart I want UCLA to guarantee that it will push and plead and vote for TCU to join the Pac-12 and get that in writing. If they don't they owe TCU double the full buyout amount.

Eight

You're right. That might only take a couple of years to work through the system and get to a judgment. And that's presuming you don't get any counter-claims or allegations that TCU didn't breach in any fashion, such as prohibiting him from hiring certain candidate or forcing him to fire certain staff members. My bad - just send them a letter and I am sure they will cut the check post haste.

just hire that law firm from lubbock that continually mails out letters claiming people have unpaid moving violations

Bruin Steve

I guess I can take a stab at why one negotiates the buy-out clause.
First, the caveat that I have no idea how this one is written...and, likely, no one else here has seen it either. But, it might be written in several ways that don't make it an absolute single payment number.
You don't have a contract with the new employer--only a contract between the coach and current school...so, it is likely written as something other than a lump sum...More likely a payout in installments, paid out over several years--so, present value may be nowhere near that $8 million figure.
When the contract was agreed to, there was likely a penalty clause that reads both ways...If the school chose, instead, to fire the coach, the payout likely would be paid out over time--and discounted by any earnings by the coach in taking a new job--so, again, the present value would be not the stated value but a lesser amount that could be diminished beyond that...so, often those sorts of buyouts are negotiated...
But the penalty paid by the departing coach would have to be something equitable--you can't have a one-way contract or risk challenge in the courts...and, you can't really have an arbitrary liquidated damages provision--it can't just be pure penalty--it has to bear some relationship to the actual damages done by the breaking of the contract.
Also, note that you can't get "specific performance" on a personal services contract--You can't force someone to work for you (and you probably don't want a disgruntled employee in the job).
AND, neither side would want to go through the judicial system to litigate this...So, no matter what the contract says, a quick, easy negotiated truce is preferred.
You also don't want to deal with this issue when you negotiate a new contract with the next guy...

TCUdirtbag

I don't know why, but these buyouts always seem to be starting points in negotiations rather than firm numbers that must be paid. I think about our deal with the Big East, WVU's too, where those buyouts weren't paid in full.

Perhaps some our legal friends can clue us in to why that is.

Conference buyouts and coach buyouts are quite different.

jake102

And we've gone too far on lawyer talk. I'll take a seat. Just seems relatively straight forward with the leverage pretty much entirely in one corner.

AroundWorldFrog

I wonder if it's a competitive deal where the "market" is that buy-outs don't get paid in full, and thus, if TCU were to demand full payment we would be outside of "market" terms. And being out of "market" may then make it more difficult to attract top tier coaches.
Why would anyone do that? Then start with $20M

TCUdirtbag

Our lawyer AD likely wrote the contract

That’s actually pretty unlikely.

I don’t recall if he ever practiced. If he did, it wasn’t for long. And I would doubt TCU was carrying legal malpractice insurance on a Sr. Associate AD in 2016. Typically university in-house counsel write their coaches’ contracts. At the time of JD’s deal, TCU did not have in-house counsel, so outside counsel likely did so.

DickBumpastache

You guys really think a buyout is going to get in the way of this? Come on.

My first call is to Craig Smith at Utah State. Energetic, coaches a fun brand of ball, and could possibly bring some really good transfers with him. USU was very young this year and had a stud freshman big man from Portugal.

I'd also like Chris Jans. Although he has a skeleton or two in his closet, he can absolutely coach. NMSU should've beaten Auburn in the 1st round this year.

Eight

You guys really think a buyout is going to get in the way of this? Come on.

My first call is to Craig Smith at Utah State. Energetic, coaches a fun brand of ball, and could possibly bring some really good transfers with him. USU was very young this year and had a stud freshman big man from Portugal.

I'd also like Chris Jans. Although he has a skeleton or two in his closet, he can absolutely coach. NMSU should've beaten Auburn in the 1st round this year.

i would guess this is one of those duck on the pond scenarios

in plan view not much going on and underneath it all tcu is going ninety to nothing in a couple of directions including early contact to the representation of some coaches that frogs wish to discuss the position if it does come open

TCUdirtbag

First, the caveat that I have no idea how this one is written...and, likely, no one else here has seen it either. But, it might be written in several ways that don't make it an absolute single payment number.
You don't have a contract with the new employer--only a contract between the coach and current school...so, it is likely written as something other than a lump sum...More likely a payout in installments, paid out over several years--so, present value may be nowhere near that $8 million figure.
When the contract was agreed to, there was likely a penalty clause that reads both ways...If the school chose, instead, to fire the coach, the payout likely would be paid out over time--and discounted by any earnings by the coach in taking a new job--so, again, the present value would be not the stated value but a lesser amount that could be diminished beyond that...so, often those sorts of buyouts are negotiated...
But the penalty paid by the departing coach would have to be something equitable--you can't have a one-way contract or risk challenge in the courts...and, you can't really have an arbitrary liquidated damages provision--it can't just be pure penalty--it has to bear some relationship to the actual damages done by the breaking of the contract.
Also, note that you can't get "specific performance" on a personal services contract--You can't force someone to work for you (and you probably don't want a disgruntled employee in the job).
AND, neither side would want to go through the judicial system to litigate this...So, no matter what the contract says, a quick, easy negotiated truce is preferred.
You also don't want to deal with this issue when you negotiate a new contract with the next guy...

The part where you assume installments is very unlikely. Typical practice in coaches contracts is a lump sum due within 30-90 days by departing coach or hiring institution. Amount is typically a % of the remaining value on the contract.

Sure it’s possible TCU could’ve gotten really creative as a private school that doesn’t have to disclose. But it’s more likely the deal is standard and in line with industry practices.

BABYFACE

The only thing I could think is maybe Dixon would just quit instead, or go full June Jones late-era SMU and just stop caring, neither of which seem like good things to do for your career.
Well, he could do that too and sit out until he is contractually able to be hired again. Although, I don’t see him doing that.

Moose Stuff

Too long. Did not read.

TCUdirtbag

Un/little-discussed consideration is TCU’s sudden appearance in the FBI investigation and the firing of one Assistant Coach Barker. No way to know whose hands that might play into in an exit discussion.

But Jamie Dixon and his agent aren’t going to sue TCU for refusing to drop the buyout. TCU wouldn't have a hard time showing it’s buyout clause was reasonable. “Look we were super [ Finebaum ]ty, he came here and we were pretty decent.” They can trot out all sorts of metrics, wins, attendance, income, postseason, recruiting, etc. Unless there’s something we don’t know about in the FBI deal that predates CJD at TCU, dare him to be the coach that screws AND sues his alma mater. TCU has little to lose and CJD has a lot to lose in reputation, time, distraction, etc.