• The KillerFrogs

Heavy: Jamie Dixon UCLA Rumors: Will TCU Coach Leave for Bruins?

Brog

The program trajectory is still headed up. We’ve made critical investments in hoops and their infrastructure. Trent deserves credit for getting this thing turning and now JD has gotten us doing an about face. Whether you think JD is the kind of coach who can get us to a final 4 is irrelevant. This is a WAY more attractive job then it was 6 years ago. If JD is to go, I think there are better coaches who will not only want the job but can continue the trajectory. There is no reason to panic either way...We are gonna be fine.

Do you mind sharing with us your list of the better coaches who will want the job?

Eight

Beware of the internet/KF.c bullies!

isn't this normally where you start questioning posters work history though what work history would make one adept at judging the qualifications and abilities of anonymous individuals as a way to either lend credence or discredit their opinions?

Wexahu

what I do know is UCLA has fired the last two coaches for having better track records that Dixon has had at TCU so far...which should concern JD at the least if he is considering it.

I think most anyone who takes a job such as UCLA takes it knowing that middle-of the-pack conference finishes aren't going to cut it. If JD thinks he's going to be able to go there and be average without consequences he's pretty dumb, but I don't think that is the case.

Bruin Steve

Hello, my Frog friends...
I have been lurking on here a bit today...just out of curiosity. I really don't know whether Jamie Dixon might end up at UCLA or not. I just know a lot of the same rumors as everyone else. It would make sense to me that almost any coach securely positioned at his alma mater would be difficult to move. OTOH, Jamie is a native of the LA area and grew up watching UCLA. If he was going to leave TCU for any job, this would be the one.

I did find a lot of the comments on your board to be quite interesting--often born out of either bias, ignorance or misinformation. I thought I'd respond to a few points I've read here.

1. Taxes. Yes, California has a highest marginal income tax rate of 13.3%. Texas has no state income tax., However, do not be deceived. ALL states require money and have ways of taking it from their citizens. Texans are not getting all of their state governmental services for free. Texas' property tax rate, for example, is among the highest in the US at 1.86% and re-valued annually. California is at the other end--with a cap of 1.25% based on original home purchase price--with a very low cap on annual adjustments. Here's an article which ranks California's tax burden at the twelfth lowest in the country...Texas logs in at #41. You cannot just look at state income tax brackets in a vacuum.

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst-states-to-be-a-taxpayer/2416/

2. Someone mentioned that coaches' salaries at public universities in California are somehow capped by state law. That bit of misinformation has floated around for awhile...but is completely untrue. Chip Kelly's contract at UCLA earns him a base salary of just shy of $5 million per year.

3. Some have intimated that UCLA doesn't have the money to pay a high salary. Again, far from true. Remember that UCLA's contract with Under Armor is for $280 million over 15 years--by far the largest in college athletics. How much does TCU get from Nike?

4. Someone stated that UCLA has "poor" facilities. UCLA's Pauley Pavilion went through a $135 million dollar renovation a few years ago and seats 13,800. For comparison, your arena seats 6,700. And just this past year, UCLA unveiled its brand new state of the art basketball practice facility--the Mo Ostin Center--at a cost of $35 million. By the way, even with a poor year, UCLA's home attendance topped TCU's by well over 2,000 people per home game.

5. Various people claimed that the UCLA program is a "dumpster fire". Others, with a little more understanding, came on to counter that--referencing the very large number of UCLA players taken in the NBA draft in recent years as well as the large number of NCAA appearances, Sweet 16s and Final Fours in recent years. I would also point out that the current state of the program, outside of the present coaching situation, is anything but a dumpster fire. Whoever the new coach might be, he will inherit a very deep roster of very highly ranked young players. Even assuming the supposed defections (one starter has already declared for the draft and one more is expected to join him...and an outside possibility one or two more leave--despite really not being ready because the NBA drafts big men on potential alone), counting this year's current signees, the Bruins would return at least three starters and have at least 12 or 13 scholarship players, at least 9 or 10 of whom were ranked in the Top 100 coming out of high school (Per 247, one of this year's two signees was ranked in the Top 100 nationally, 5 of 6 in last year's class, 2 of the 3 still around from the prior year's class and one of the two in next year's senior class...and there is a strong rumor that an incoming freshman ranked in this year's Top 30 is only waiting on the coaching announcement...Of course, making space would require someone additional leaving the program). I am guessing that is the kind of "dumpster fire" most coaches would love to inherit upon taking over a program.

6. The comment above that "UCLA has fired the last two coaches for having better track records that Dixon has had at TCU"? No, obviously nobody is ever fired for having a good record. Steve Alford was let go because his teams were underperforming. His teams played very poor defense. They looked disorganized at times. He was let go for , basically, not being all that good of a coach...and continually losing games to very overmatched teams. The coach before him, Ben Howland, was let go in a move that had little to do with his coaching and basketball skills. Of course, it might be hard to see from a distance...You might need to have been around the program. Howland had developed an atmosphere that was somewhat toxic. There were players on the team ready to revolt. Certain players were outrageous discipline problems. The team might have been winning, but the situation was a ticking time bomb.

That said, the general feeling at UCLA right now is not one of finding the coach with the best record. Results often depend on a lot of other factors. UCLA needs a coach that 1) Teaches sound fundamental basketball, 2) Understands the strategies involved in the game, 3) Can attract high quality recruits and manage a disciplined program, 4) Runs a clean program without controversy or scandal (which disqualified a lot of coaches on many people's lists), and 5) Fits well into UCLA's culture. The local recruiting grounds are rich and UCLA has great drawing power from elsewhere around the country. The facilities are outstanding. The history and tradition is rich. Feeling is that, if we get the right coach in there, he will be VERY successful.

That said, a lot of the rumors floating out there of late were, pretty much, just that. Though anyone might have to take a look at Calipari, he just didn't fit the character issues well...and those rumors may have been leaked by Calipari himself--just to gain leverage in renegotiating with Kentucky. Tony Bennett was clearly on UCLA's list--great coach and has West Coast/Pac 12 ties. There are several others who were or weren't on the list for many reasons. The "search" as it were, has been conducted by a three-man committee including former UCLA player and current General Manager of the Golden State Warriors, Bob Myers--who knows a thing or two about basketball. At this point, I am trusting that Bob knows what he's doing.

I guess we'll all know what's happening soon.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Very nice reply, Mr. Bruin.

I submit that, like the hideous Tennessee Football ordeal not too long ago, there is the perception outside the L.A. area that the job is a dead end unless the Sweet 16 is reached within 2 years. Or less. Anything less is unacceptable. Coaches looking at that reality from the comfortable position they currently occupy make it a difficult sell.

Perhaps "dumpster fire" was the wrong metaphor. Rather, "Being continuously eyed by Madame Guillotine" would be more apt.

LawFrog504

This latest Frogs O'War article should result in somebody behind bars. Headline is "TCU is one of only 3 big 12 teams to play a basketball game in April!!!!"

Just unbelievable. I'll swap playing in April with the year KU or Baylor had, even if they didn't get to play games in April (which is apparently some kind of achievement).

WhiteHispanicFrog

Curmudgeon
I have been lurking on here a bit today...just out of curiosity. I really don't know whether Jamie Dixon might end up at UCLA or not. I just know a lot of the same rumors as everyone else. It would make sense to me that almost any coach securely positioned at his alma mater would be difficult to move. OTOH, Jamie is a native of the LA area and grew up watching UCLA. If he was going to leave TCU for any job, this would be the one.

I did find a lot of the comments on your board to be quite interesting--often born out of either bias, ignorance or misinformation. I thought I'd respond to a few points I've read here.

1. Taxes. Yes, California has a highest marginal income tax rate of 13.3%. Texas has no state income tax., However, do not be deceived. ALL states require money and have ways of taking it from their citizens. Texans are not getting all of their state governmental services for free. Texas' property tax rate, for example, is among the highest in the US at 1.86% and re-valued annually. California is at the other end--with a cap of 1.25% based on original home purchase price--with a very low cap on annual adjustments. Here's an article which ranks California's tax burden at the twelfth lowest in the country...Texas logs in at #41. You cannot just look at state income tax brackets in a vacuum.

2. Someone mentioned that coaches' salaries at public universities in California are somehow capped by state law. That bit of misinformation has floated around for awhile...but is completely untrue. Chip Kelly's contract at UCLA earns him a base salary of just shy of $5 million per year.

3. Some have intimated that UCLA doesn't have the money to pay a high salary. Again, far from true. Remember that UCLA's contract with Under Armor is for $280 million over 15 years--by far the largest in college athletics. How much does TCU get from Nike?

4. Someone stated that UCLA has "poor" facilities. UCLA's Pauley Pavilion went through a $135 million dollar renovation a few years ago and seats 13,800. For comparison, your arena seats 6,700. And just this past year, UCLA unveiled its brand new state of the art basketball practice facility--the Mo Ostin Center--at a cost of $35 million. By the way, even with a poor year, UCLA's home attendance topped TCU's by well over 2,000 people per home game.

5. Various people claimed that the UCLA program is a "dumpster fire". Others, with a little more understanding, came on to counter that--referencing the very large number of UCLA players taken in the NBA draft in recent years as well as the large number of NCAA appearances, Sweet 16s and Final Fours in recent years. I would also point out that the current state of the program, outside of the present coaching situation, is anything but a dumpster fire. Whoever the new coach might be, he will inherit a very deep roster of very highly ranked young players. Even assuming the supposed defections (one starter has already declared for the draft and one more is expected to join him...and an outside possibility one or two more leave--despite really not being ready because the NBA drafts big men on potential alone), counting this year's current signees, the Bruins would return at least three starters and have at least 12 or 13 scholarship players, at least 9 or 10 of whom were ranked in the Top 100 coming out of high school (Per 247, one of this year's two signees was ranked in the Top 100 nationally, 5 of 6 in last year's class, 2 of the 3 still around from the prior year's class and one of the two in next year's senior class...and there is a strong rumor that an incoming freshman ranked in this year's Top 30 is only waiting on the coaching announcement...Of course, making space would require someone additional leaving the program). I am guessing that is the kind of "dumpster fire" most coaches would love to inherit upon taking over a program.

6. The comment above that "UCLA has fired the last two coaches for having better track records that Dixon has had at TCU"? No, obviously nobody is ever fired for having a good record. Steve Alford was let go because his teams were underperforming. His teams played very poor defense. They looked disorganized at times. He was let go for , basically, not being all that good of a coach...and continually losing games to very overmatched teams. The coach before him, Ben Howland, was let go in a move that had little to do with his coaching and basketball skills. Of course, it might be hard to see from a distance...You might need to have been around the program. Howland had developed an atmosphere that was somewhat toxic. There were players on the team ready to revolt. Certain players were outrageous discipline problems. The team might have been winning, but the situation was a ticking time bomb.

That said, the general feeling at UCLA right now is not one of finding the coach with the best record. Results often depend on a lot of other factors. UCLA needs a coach that 1) Teaches sound fundamental basketball, 2) Understands the strategies involved in the game, 3) Can attract high quality recruits and manage a disciplined program, 4) Runs a clean program without controversy or scandal (which disqualified a lot of coaches on many people's lists), and 5) Fits well into UCLA's culture. The local recruiting grounds are rich and UCLA has great drawing power from elsewhere around the country. The facilities are outstanding. The history and tradition is rich. Feeling is that, if we get the right coach in there, he will be VERY successful.

That said, a lot of the rumors floating out there of late were, pretty much, just that. Though anyone might have to take a look at Calipari, he just didn't fit the character issues well...and those rumors may have been leaked by Calipari himself--just to gain leverage in renegotiating with Kentucky. Tony Bennett was clearly on UCLA's list--great coach and has West Coast/Pac 12 ties. There are several others who were or weren't on the list for many reasons. The "search" as it were, has been conducted by a three-man committee including former UCLA player and current General Manager of the Golden State Warriors, Bob Myers--who knows a thing or two about basketball. At this point, I am trusting that Bob knows what he's doing.

Putt4Purple

What an Essay! Its more than what I would have put on any post or response. That is pretty much the only reason I liked and responded.

Westsider

Wow, Mr. Guerrero, you have a lot of time on your hands. Hope JD tells you no. Appreciate your interest, though.

AroundWorldFrog

TLDR

AroundWorldFrog

BTW, the article you quoted is based on "median US income" which makes the numbers very skewed. Nice try.

flyfishingfrog

California has the second highest cost of living in the country

Come up with a million ways to spin it - doubling you salary would be a requirement vs Texas

Jamies house in Montserratt is under $2 mil I would guarantee and it would take 2x that to replace it anywhere within 30 mins of UCLA

Same with every other expense- so lower property taxes only matter in California if you have lived in your house for 20 years - not if you are moving now since home prices are so inflated

And both your coaches that were fired had better records and had gone farther than JD has ever done in the post season at TCU - spin away, but it’s a fact either way

UCLA will be a fine job but it’s not a top 10 job anymore

MTfrog5

California has the second highest cost of living in the country

Come up with a million ways to spin it - doubling you salary would be a requirement vs Texas

Jamies house in Montserratt is under $2 mil I would guarantee and it would take 2x that to replace it anywhere within 30 mins of UCLA

Same with every other expense- so lower property taxes only matter in California if you have lived in your house for 20 years - not if you are moving now since home prices are so inflated

And both your coaches that were fired had better records and had gone farther than JD has ever done in the post season at TCU - spin away, but it’s a fact either way

UCLA will be a fine job but it’s not a top 10 job anymore
Big player in everything is that UCLA fired Dixon’s mentor at Pitt. Better believe Dixon remembers how that went down

Brog

Pretty reasonable stuff until your incredible notion that the last two coaches weren't fired because of their win/loss record. No, not win/loss, you say, just because of the culture on the team, coaching attitude, etc. Do you really believe that if they had gone to the Final Four, the culture on their team would have gotten them fired? As I say, you make some good points, but the last one was ridiculous.