• The KillerFrogs

Heavy: Jamie Dixon UCLA Rumors: Will TCU Coach Leave for Bruins?

Salfrog

Tier 1
If JD leaves, he leaves. I doubt that he does, but not going to worry about it if he does. The basketball program is in a much better position than it was before he came. I feel that we would be attractive to another good coach wanting to coach in the toughest conference.

Virginia Frog

Dixon refused to talk about any UCLA speculation during a media availability for the NIT semifinals on Monday at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square. “I don’t talk about rumors, speculation ... no part of it,” Dixon told the Star-Telegram. “I don’t think it’s good for anyone involved. I stay consistent in that regard.”

The most Dixon would say about his job, “For me, I’m just thankful to be coaching basketball and doing what I do. “I can sit here and tell you this -- we’re coaching the game that we love and fortunate to be doing it as long as I have.”
I don't like this verbal dance that JD is offering up to the media. If offered, he's going...the Cinci coach is just too ugly for Tinsel-town and JD is a pretty boy that fits the Hollywood image for UCLA.

Fran number 2.

Give GP an honorary doctorate. Give JD a one-way ticket.

Brog

If JD leaves, he leaves. I doubt that he does, but not going to worry about it if he does. The basketball program is in a much better position than it was before he came. I feel that we would be attractive to another good coach wanting to coach in the toughest conference.

Yeah, but I can't help but wonder if he does go, and we get "another good coach wanting to coach in the toughest conference", does that new coach just see us as a stopping place on the way to a REAL basketball school if he's successful here? Kinda thought when we got Dixon that we had one who would stick with us. Still hope so.

froginmn

I don't like this verbal dance that JD is offering up to the media. If offered, he's going...the Cinci coach is just too ugly for Tinsel-town and JD is a pretty boy that fits the Hollywood image for UCLA.
Fran number 2.
Give GP an honorary doctorate. Give JD a one-way ticket.
e31.jpg

Eight

Yeah, but I can't help but wonder if he does go, and we get "another good coach wanting to coach in the toughest conference", does that new coach just see us as a stopping place on the way to a REAL basketball school if he's successful here? Kinda thought when we got Dixon that we had one who would stick with us. Still hope so.

in the big picture they are all temporary coaches. the only thing that differs is the length of their tenure

Froggish

The program trajectory is still headed up. We’ve made critical investments in hoops and their infrastructure. Trent deserves credit for getting this thing turning and now JD has gotten us doing an about face. Whether you think JD is the kind of coach who can get us to a final 4 is irrelevant. This is a WAY more attractive job then it was 6 years ago. If JD is to go, I think there are better coaches who will not only want the job but can continue the trajectory. There is no reason to panic either way...We are gonna be fine.

LawFrog504

Anyone heard anything through the grapevine about this last few days? I'm not in FW anymore so I don't hear little rumblings like I used to

tetonfrog

It would be a huge step back if JD leaves, at least in the short term. Frogs have some serious needs next year and a new coach would have to recruit on the fly quickly. And do we have any idea who would replace him?

Eight

It would be a huge step back if JD leaves, at least in the short term. Frogs have some serious needs next year and a new coach would have to recruit on the fly quickly. And do we have any idea who would replace him?

no idea who would be interested and we would find out just how well connected jeremiah is in the industry

in response to filling needs it doesn't always have to be done via recruits.

who is to say whomever would hypothetically follow dixon doesn't have ties to potential transfers that meet those needs

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Oh, the doom and gloom...

Take a look at the UCLA program: It is a dumpster fire. Whichever coach decides to take that job has a lot of rebuilding to do, and he has to do it in the headwinds of a bad administration and unrealistic expectations from what fanbase they have remaining. Any contract signed by such a coach had better make sure it is all guaranteed money...

Dixon has revived things at TCU, and has the program improving. I cannot see him ditching what he has built here to chase a moderate increase in money, while accepting higher taxes (thus negating the salary increase) and all the baggage the UCLA job (at present) entails. He has long-term stability at TCU, while the UCLA job carries the distinct possibility of a 2-3 year tenure before being fired for not winning "enough."

Dogfrog

Oh, the doom and gloom...

Take a look at the UCLA program: It is a dumpster fire. Whichever coach decides to take that job has a lot of rebuilding to do, and he has to do it in the headwinds of a bad administration and unrealistic expectations from what fanbase they have remaining. Any contract signed by such a coach had better make sure it is all guaranteed money...

Dixon has revived things at TCU, and has the program improving. I cannot see him ditching what he has built here to chase a moderate increase in money, while accepting higher taxes (thus negating the salary increase) and all the baggage the UCLA job (at present) entails. He has long-term stability at TCU, while the UCLA job carries the distinct possibility of a 2-3 year tenure before being fired for not winning "enough."

Yea, some people cling so tightly to program “names” without considering how far the mighty have fallen. 2018-19 TCU is a better program than UCLA and John Wooden has been gone a long long time. PAC basketball pretty much sucks. I love visiting Westwood but wouldn’t want to live there. If Dixon does go it will be mostly because his chances of winning in the much weaker PAC are much greater than winning the B12.

Eight

Yea, some people cling so tightly to program “names” without considering how far the mighty have fallen. 2018-19 TCU is a better program than UCLA and John Wooden has been gone a long long time. PAC basketball pretty much sucks. I love visiting Westwood but wouldn’t want to live there. If Dixon does go it will be mostly because his chances of winning in the much weaker PAC are much greater than winning the B12.

ucla in the last 15 years or so have made 6 sweet 16's and 3 final 4's. i believe tcu has made 1 tournament during that time and i don't think the frogs have any win's while it was just 2 years ago ucla went to the sweet 16 which i think you have to win at least one game.

they do have issues such as a poorly run ad department and their facilities are not top tier.

what they do have going for them is they sit among an area loaded with talent and even with alford they have had plenty of talent on the floor. in this decade alone they have had 14 players taken in the nba draft. not sure who the last frog to get drafted in the nba was, maybe kurt thomas.

to say tcu is a better basketball program than ucla really is staggering

Last edited:

Zubaz

Yea, some people cling so tightly to program “names” without considering how far the mighty have fallen. 2018-19 TCU is a better program than UCLA and John Wooden has been gone a long long time
I am all for homer goggles but...c'mon. UCLA's "down" is right around TCU's peak over the last 20 years. They've made tournament runs inside of the last 20 years that puts anything we've done in our program's history to shame. The guy that just got fired made multiple Sweet 16's.

If you want to say that he'd have a far shorter leash and that expectations are going to be well higher, yeah I'm totally with you. As stated, Steve Alford just got fired despite having a better resume than what Dixon did at Pitt and TCU during the same time period. That makes sense. The taxes thing I tend to think can be worked out just by hitting a certain number. But to say that UCLA is a dumpster fire? Or that TCU is a better program? Yeesh.

watchfrog

Gary Parrish and Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports just talked about the UCLA opening on the Jim Rome Show. Both thought it unlikely that UCLA would be willing to pay the large buyout unless TCU agreed to lower it.

Eight

Gary Parrish and Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports just talked about the UCLA opening on the Jim Rome Show. Both thought it unlikely that UCLA would be willing to pay the large buyout unless TCU agreed to lower it.

dixon's buyout is in the area of 8 million which is what they wanted to offer calipari.

i doubt dixon would get that high an offer, but if you offered 5 or 6 for multiple years the buyout included is in the area of what you wanted to pay cal.

Eight

90's fashion was "What if I bought suits that are 3 sizes too big?"

funny how things swing the other way because there is a weather man in houston who i swear wears suits straight out of the kids' department.

guy is showing good 2" of shirt cuffs when his arms are down by his side

froginmn

Can someone forward this stupid thread to the UCLA AD?

That would be enough to let them know how bad JD is... No way they'd hire such a terrible coach, right?