• The KillerFrogs

Selection Sunday Thread

CountryFrog

0, 4, 20, 8 for Mr. Noi for the last games (points). I'm not inferring that the facts are that important as there may be other factors involved but it is what it is, while Miller went 2, 5, 5, & 8.
That's fine, but the post I was responding to was you mentioning 3 specific games, 2 of which Noi didn't even play in. So you can change it now to the last 4 games that he did play in but that wasn't what you said originally.

As for Miller, I have no idea why anyone would ever expect consistent scoring from him. He's never been consistent as a scorer or shooter in his 4 years. So him disappearing for any stretch of games is nothing new.

Eight

NCAA Selection Committee

Bernard Muir
Division I Men’s Basketball Committee chair and director of athletics at Stanford University

Muir began service on the committee Sept. 1, 2014, and is serving as chair of the committee for 2018-19.

Other Committee Members Include:
  • Mitch Barnhart, director of athletics, University of Kentucky
  • Tom Burnett, commissioner, Southland Conference
  • Janet Cone, director of athletics, University of North Carolina Asheville
  • Bernadette McGlade, commissioner, Atlantic 10 Conference
  • Michael O’Brien, vice president and director of athletics, University of Toledo
  • Jim Phillips, vice president for athletics and recreation, Northwestern University
  • Chris Reynolds, vice president for intercollegiate athletics, Bradley University
  • Craig Thompson, commissioner, Mountain West Conference
  • Kevin White, director of athletics, Duke University

The Big 12 is the only Power 5 conference without a member on the committee.

interesting, also noticed 6 of the 10 are from the mid-conferences or smaller and only two of the committee played a sport at a major conference level.

what is more interesting is the working relationship between the committee members. if you look at kevin white's bio on the duke website you will see among the current ad's who he has mentored include bernard muir, jim phillips, and chris reynolds.

also listed among the ad's mentored by kevin white is none other than a favorite of this site ian mccaw.

Eight

It's weird how in football no one wants the mid majors to be a part of anything but in basketball it's celebrated.

the cinderella story sells when it comes to the ncaa tournament.

in the end the powers normally end up being the teams standing at the end, but the general population loves the stories of the little programs that could such as loyola last year or butler or vcu or whomever.

football has fewer slots and they want to control the variables

CountryFrog

the cinderella story sells when it comes to the ncaa tournament.

in the end the powers normally end up being the teams standing at the end, but the general population loves the stories of the little programs that could such as loyola last year or butler or vcu or whomever.

football has fewer slots and they want to control the variables
Totally true. It's just a bit of a paradox. If anything, I prefer the lean that basketball has and wish football would open itself up more.

Eight

Totally true. It's just a bit of a paradox. If anything, I prefer the lean that basketball has and wish football would open itself up more.

agree which is why i would like to see going to 8 and a slot for each of the p-5 champions. that and i think it would stabilize the future of the big 12.

Wexahu

I don't. Two totally different sports. Football games are played a week apart, there's a lot of buildup for each game, and the negative effect of having a lopsided contest is much, much worse. I have no interest in watching Oklahoma beat Mid Major U by 30 points in a snoozer football game just for the sake of inclusion. The negatives outweigh the positives. Hell, we had people complaining about the boring, non-competitive games in this year's 4-team CFP.

In basketball, the games are over in a couple hours and it's easy to move on to the next game that'll be played 2 days later. Much, much easier to throw a bunch more teams in there just so they have their place at the table. The logistics of the two sports in terms of how a tournament is staged is just completely different.

Eight

Gonzaga is technically in a “mid-major” conference and they are dominate.

gonzaga is an anomaly, since their cinderella run in 1999 they have made the sweet sixteen 8 other times and been ranked in the final ap pole every year since 2008.

few has taken advantage of the support of the school and the community as well as television exposure to build a program that to some degrees is unparalleled at the mid level.

a big part is few has opted to stay at gonzaga unlike his predecessor and you could draw parallels to what few has done in spokane with what gary had done in ft worth.

CountryFrog

I don't. Two totally different sports. Football games are played a week apart, there's a lot of buildup for each game, and the negative effect of having a lopsided contest is much, much worse. I have no interest in watching Oklahoma beat Mid Major U by 30 points in a snoozer football game just for the sake of inclusion. The negatives outweigh the positives. Hell, we had people complaining about the boring, non-competitive games in this year's 4-team CFP.

In basketball, the games are over in a couple hours and it's easy to move on to the next game that'll be played 2 days later. Much, much easier to throw a bunch more teams in there just so they have their place at the table. The logistics of the two sports in terms of how a tournament is staged is just completely different.
Less than 10 minutes for you to come in at the mention of the college football playoff. Impressive.

CountryFrog

gonzaga is an anomaly, since their cinderella run in 1999 they have made the sweet sixteen 8 other times and been ranked in the final ap pole every year since 2008.

few has taken advantage of the support of the school and the community as well as television exposure to build a program that to some degrees is unparalleled at the mid level.

a big part is few has opted to stay at gonzaga unlike his predecessor and you could draw parallels to what few has done in spokane with what gary had done in ft worth.
The other thing that has greatly helped Gonzaga is the epic collapse of Pac 12 basketball over the past several years. Every now and then schools like Arizona or Oregon have jumped up and had great years but there hasn't been any consistently good depth in that conference for a while and Gonzaga has taken advantage to become the best basketball program in the Western half of the country.

I'd imagine it would be much harder for a non traditional program to do that in the middle of ACC or Big 12 country over an extended period of time.

Wexahu

Less than 10 minutes for you to come in at the mention of the college football playoff. Impressive.

Thanks. Do you disagree with what I'm saying?

I think what it comes down to is if the results don't come out the way you want as it pertains to your own team, then it's time to complain. About something. Just complain, because things didn't work out the way you wanted them so there has to be something wrong and something to blame. Not saying this personally about you, just in general.

We've got people complaining a team didn't get a bid that finished 7-11 in it's conference and whose best OOC win was against a 19-15 Florida team at home. But now the argument is in reverse, now we didn't get in because the committee wants a bunch of mid-majors. It's comical how predicable the masses are when things don't go their way.

Eight

The other thing that has greatly helped Gonzaga is the epic collapse of Pac 12 basketball over the past several years. Every now and then schools like Arizona or Oregon have jumped up and had great years but there hasn't been any consistently good depth in that conference for a while and Gonzaga has taken advantage to become the best basketball program in the Western half of the country.

I'd imagine it would be much harder for a non traditional program to do that in the middle of ACC or Big 12 country over an extended period of time.

the basis for gladwell's book outliers. the timing of something as much as anything is the critical component for creating something others couldn't imagine.

az under lute was a machine and ucla was still strong in the 90's. that changed and as you pointed out country there has been a vacuum on the west coast. gonzaga has been able to establish a presence with top talent on the west coast, accepted p 5 transfers, and done a great job with foreign players.

spokane might not be los angeles, but if i am a kid wanting to play at a high level for a team that does get national exposure and plays a very competitive non-conference schedule they aren't a bad location

Purp

I think as much as anything the blowing the 21 point lead to OK St in the tourney hurt, even though we still won.

Had we held onto win by 15+ you could make the case for momentum coupled with the win at TX. But the committee uses the eye test a little and I think blowing that lead showed that the 7 man roster just wasn’t going to be able to compete for 40 minutes against NCAA Tournament quality teams.

Take into account the only team we beat with a pulse the last month of the season was Iowa St and that’s all the justification the committee needed. We couldn’t beat quality teams consistently.

Our wins in conference -

2x - Texas - win in Austin was very similar to football winning at Baylor this year. Probably shouldn’t have won but beat a better team due to heart.
1 - OKST holding tryouts in January to field a team - and that was at the buzzer
1 - West Virginia as they hit rock bottom
2 - Iowa St - gave us a chance
1 - Baylor - blew a 20 point lead in that one also.

We just couldn’t play for 40 mins against good teams.

Non conference we beat a bad USC and SMU team with Fisher and held on to Florida after blowing a big lead vs them as well.

Hopefully Lat and Barlow get healthy, the newcomers can all play and NOT leave.
I think you make some good points here, but Baylor was NOT a better team than us this year. Not even without our top 2 QBs were they a better team than us this year.

Eight

WTH? The women have a much better resume than the men. I'd be beyond surprised if they don't make it, but if that's not a jinx post....

link to a discussion my daughter sent to me.

the selection committee for the women's tournament committee provided a list of the 8 teams on the bubble so to speak. among those eight was tcu.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-...62/tennessee-make-women-ncaa-tournament-field

what is interesting is the very same issue that come up about the men's record seem to put the women in peril. a weak non-conference schedule, only 2 wins over top 50 teams, and no win inside the top 100 outside the conference.

Purp

The PAC in general has been a real mystery from an athletics performance standpoint in recent years.

In basketball you could always count on UCLA and Arizona to annually be in the elite tier of college basketball teams and several other programs were very good more often than they were average. The last several years, though, none of those programs have been worth a damn and UCLA feels like they'll never become a top basketball program again.

In football USC is one of the most storied programs in history and Oregon in the last couple decades stormed into elite program status. Cal, Stanford, Washington, Oregon State, the Arizona schools, Colorado, etc. have always been solid programs who generally compete in the top 25 with shallower droughts than in recent years. Yet the last several years have finished leaving us to wonder what in the actual darn has happened to football in the PAC.

Similarly, baseball seems to be trending down in the PAC. The baseball hasn't dropped off quite to the extent football and basketball have, but aside from a truly elite Oregon State baseball power the recent PAC baseball teams have been underwhelming. Arizona went on a run in Omaha a few years ago (we stayed in their team hotel the year the Chanticleers embarrassed the field with 78 mph fastballs), but I seem to remember them being a 3 seed in their regional and being the 2nd biggest surprise in Omaha that year behind Coastal Carolina. They hardly showed up as a juggernaut or carried any of the intimidation with them you saw from UCLA or USC or Arizona State in prior years.

Maybe what I'm noticing more is the deterioration of athletics at the California schools that's dragging the conference perception down, but after the last round of realignment, the PAC-12 Network launch, and the threat of OU and Texas defecting to form a PAC-16 I don't think anybody saw the decline coming that we've witnessed the last 3-4 years from that conference. Maybe it's an anomaly, but every year that goes by worse than the previous year it feels less and less so.

Purp

WTH? The women have a much better resume than the men. I'd be beyond surprised if they don't make it, but if that's not a jinx post....
Much smaller field. It's a harder tournament to get into for the women. I'd love to see them get in and I think Jordan Moore could carry our team to a win or two in the dance, but I won't be shocked if we're no invited.