• The KillerFrogs

Selection Sunday Thread

Pharm Frog

1. https://bleacherreport.com/articles...19-who-got-screwed-in-the-ncaa-bracket#slide3

It's not a big surprise that 16-16 Texas was left out. I had the Longhorns in because they had five Quadrant 1 wins and faced one of the 10 toughest schedules in the country, but I also get it. Finishing .500 overall cannot be tolerated, nor should it be.

TCU missing the cut with a 20-13 record, though, was the most shocking exclusion, especially considering several of the Horned Frogs' best wins—Iowa State (twice), vs. Florida—looked a little more impressive by the end of the week due to their respective conference tournament showings.

Honestly, it might be because Texas was left out that TCU was subsequently cut, too. TCU swept the Longhorns, but it ended up with just four wins over tournament teams.

The Horned Frogs didn't suffer any terrible losses. Road games against Oklahoma State and West Virginia don't feel like good losses. However, the Cowboys finished just outside the NET top 75, so that was barely a Q2 result instead of Q1. And the game against the Mountaineers went into triple overtime, and it came late in the season when WVU was on the verge of winning games against Iowa State, Oklahoma and Texas Tech. No shame in that result.

Or so we thought. Apparently, the committee wasn't thrilled with TCU losing a game that's tougher than a long weekend at your in-laws.

Moreover, TCU dealt with injuries and transfers all year. They lost Jaylen Fisher after just nine games. Freshman Lat Mayen left after 17 games. Kouat Noi missed six games. But the Horned Frogs played well toward the end of the season when they were at full strength.

But with so many injury/suspension changes to keep track of around the country, perhaps that was swept under the rug, along with TCU's ticket to the dance.

Peacefrog

Degenerate

1. https://bleacherreport.com/articles...19-who-got-screwed-in-the-ncaa-bracket#slide3

It's not a big surprise that 16-16 Texas was left out. I had the Longhorns in because they had five Quadrant 1 wins and faced one of the 10 toughest schedules in the country, but I also get it. Finishing .500 overall cannot be tolerated, nor should it be.

TCU missing the cut with a 20-13 record, though, was the most shocking exclusion, especially considering several of the Horned Frogs' best wins—Iowa State (twice), vs. Florida—looked a little more impressive by the end of the week due to their respective conference tournament showings.

Honestly, it might be because Texas was left out that TCU was subsequently cut, too. TCU swept the Longhorns, but it ended up with just four wins over tournament teams.

The Horned Frogs didn't suffer any terrible losses. Road games against Oklahoma State and West Virginia don't feel like good losses. However, the Cowboys finished just outside the NET top 75, so that was barely a Q2 result instead of Q1. And the game against the Mountaineers went into triple overtime, and it came late in the season when WVU was on the verge of winning games against Iowa State, Oklahoma and Texas Tech. No shame in that result.

Or so we thought. Apparently, the committee wasn't thrilled with TCU losing a game that's tougher than a long weekend at your in-laws.

Moreover, TCU dealt with injuries and transfers all year. They lost Jaylen Fisher after just nine games. Freshman Lat Mayen left after 17 games. Kouat Noi missed six games. But the Horned Frogs played well toward the end of the season when they were at full strength.

But with so many injury/suspension changes to keep track of around the country, perhaps that was swept under the rug, along with TCU's ticket to the dance.
“But the Horned Frogs played well toward the end of the season when they were at full strength.”

Damn. Truer words have never been spoken.

TooColdU

NCAA Selection Committee

Bernard Muir
Division I Men’s Basketball Committee chair and director of athletics at Stanford University

Muir began service on the committee Sept. 1, 2014, and is serving as chair of the committee for 2018-19.

Other Committee Members Include:
  • Mitch Barnhart, director of athletics, University of Kentucky
  • Tom Burnett, commissioner, Southland Conference
  • Janet Cone, director of athletics, University of North Carolina Asheville
  • Bernadette McGlade, commissioner, Atlantic 10 Conference
  • Michael O’Brien, vice president and director of athletics, University of Toledo
  • Jim Phillips, vice president for athletics and recreation, Northwestern University
  • Chris Reynolds, vice president for intercollegiate athletics, Bradley University
  • Craig Thompson, commissioner, Mountain West Conference
  • Kevin White, director of athletics, Duke University

The Big 12 is the only Power 5 conference without a member on the committee.

robbroyy

I think as much as anything the blowing the 21 point lead to OK St in the tourney hurt, even though we still won.

Had we held onto win by 15+ you could make the case for momentum coupled with the win at TX. But the committee uses the eye test a little and I think blowing that lead showed that the 7 man roster just wasn’t going to be able to compete for 40 minutes against NCAA Tournament quality teams.

Take into account the only team we beat with a pulse the last month of the season was Iowa St and that’s all the justification the committee needed. We couldn’t beat quality teams consistently.

Our wins in conference -

2x - Texas - win in Austin was very similar to football winning at Baylor this year. Probably shouldn’t have won but beat a better team due to heart.
1 - OKST holding tryouts in January to field a team - and that was at the buzzer
1 - West Virginia as they hit rock bottom
2 - Iowa St - gave us a chance
1 - Baylor - blew a 20 point lead in that one also.

We just couldn’t play for 40 mins against good teams.

Non conference we beat a bad USC and SMU team with Fisher and held on to Florida after blowing a big lead vs them as well.

Hopefully Lat and Barlow get healthy, the newcomers can all play and NOT leave.

Pharm Frog

I’ve now listened to over 3 hours of national radio re: the bracket and snubs and seeding and errors and comparisons of projections to actual and I just heard these three letters for the first time: TCU. And nothing else other than a nod to being in first four out. Heard a lot about UNCG, NCST, Indiana, and others but apparently nobody thinks TCU was snubbed.

Pharm Frog

I’ve now listened to over 3 hours of national radio re: the bracket and snubs and seeding and errors and comparisons of projections to actual and I just heard these three letters for the first time: TCU. And nothing else other than a nod to being in first four out. Heard a lot about UNCG, NCST, Indiana, and others but apparently nobody thinks TCU was snubbed.

And just a few minutes ago I heard the Belmont v TCU argument based on that being the only at large variance between actual and projections by Palm and Linardi. Personally I think that’s a dumb comparison since TCU was still third out but the commentators were “good” with having Belmont in and TCU out but primarily because it’s fun to have two bids for the OVC.

MTfrog5

And just a few minutes ago I heard the Belmont v TCU argument based on that being the only at large variance between actual and projections by Palm and Linardi. Personally I think that’s a dumb comparison since TCU was still third out but the commentators were “good” with having Belmont in and TCU out but primarily because it’s fun to have two bids for the OVC.
Good reasoning.