• The KillerFrogs

Where is the game thread?

TooColdU

West Virginia started 3 true freshman. 2 of them had a combined 47 points.

Culver had 22 points, 21 rebounds
McCabe had 25 points, 11 assists

CountryFrog

Honestly trying not to go overboard here, but I haven't thought we've looked like a well-coached team for quite awhile now. I know injuries and defections are a factor, but compare this to our football team, specially the defense that Patterson coaches. GP has had to weather a ton of injuries and thin rosters as well through the years but they very rarely look like anything but a well prepared, disciplined unit that has a plan that they try and execute. Maybe that's too high a bar for these guys to reach, but that is what a well-coached team looks like. This looks like anything but that. This just looks like nobody has a freaking clue what role they are supposed to be playing and that is on the coaches IMO.
So you were saying that this was a poorly coached team back when we were beating everyone by 30 and scoring 80+ every night?

And there have been several times when Patterson has dealt with personnel shortages and its significantly hurt the performance. 2015 probably would've been a losing season if not for having one of the most dynamic offenses in college football.

We have a senior PG who missed 7 FT's, was 0-4 from 3, had 5 TO's and defensively saw the opposing PG score 22 points over his average. I'm just not sure how much of that to pin on the coaches.

Wexahu

So you were saying that this was a poorly coached team back when we were beating everyone by 30 and scoring 80+ every night?

And there have been several times when Patterson has dealt with personnel shortages and its significantly hurt the performance. 2015 probably would've been a losing season if not for having one of the most dynamic offenses in college football.

I'm not sure we've ever beat up on everyone by 30 points and scored 80 every night unless it was against god awful teams. And I know GP's results have suffered at times, but they hardly ever looked unprepared, they were just so massively beat up and/or inexperienced or undersized they had little chance. 5 guys play basketball at a time and for most of the game we had very experienced players out there, simply no excuse for this. Just my opinion.

CountryFrog

I'm not sure we've ever beat up on everyone by 30 points and scored 80 every night unless it was against god awful teams. And I know GP's results have suffered at times, but they hardly ever looked unprepared, they were just so massively beat up and/or inexperienced or undersized they had little chance. 5 guys play basketball at a time and for most of the game we had very experienced players out there, simply no excuse for this. Just my opinion.
I hate calling out individual players, but it's kind of unavoidable in this game. Our senior PG was 2-9 on FT's, 0-4 from 3, had 5 TO's with only 5 assists, and allowed the opposing PG to go for 25 when he had averaged 3 ppg coming in. I'm just not sure how much to fault our coaches for all that.

And yes, we were winning many games by 30 early in the year. It was against lesser competition, but I don't remember anyone saying we were poorly coached back then. Poorly coached would seem to be evident regardless of the level of competition. And honestly I think several of the teams we played in OOC were better than this WVU team or the OSU team we lost to last week.

MTfrog5

Didn’t watch a second and only just looked at the box score. We’re refs that bad or were the 13 extra foul calls legit? Neither team shot free throws well but they shot a lot more

netty2424

I would just say that we looked pretty well coached back when we still had a full roster. I knew that losing Fisher would greatly limit the offense and I don't think there's anything coaching wise that could've been done to completely avoid that. This was a perimeter oriented team from the beginning and losing our best shooter was something that couldn't be replaced.

I don't know how much to blame the coaches for some of the decision making by the older players on the team or for the mass transfers.
This team has been bouncing guys in and out all year long. Not sure they’ve played consecutive games with a full roster. Seems like CJD always had someone or several out. Brutal.

As for tonight’s game and the rest of the season, it’s just survival mode at this point.

The depth was a non-factor. WVU played 9 guys, but Horton played 2 minutes, and Routt played 1 minute. They had another guy play 7 minutes so really they ran with 6 players for the majority of the game.

netty2424

Didn’t watch a second and only just looked at the box score. We’re refs that bad or were the 13 extra foul calls legit? Neither team shot free throws well but they shot a lot more
Dvr took me to 1 minute left in second overtime and I lost the rest. Lol. Didn’t catch the end.

Refs were refs. Reality is, the worst call of the night was the missed goal tend when Samuel pinned a layup after it came off the glass. That missed call gives us the tie to take it into overtime.

ATC Frog

One other observation: the Frogs really are the cure-all to a sizable losing streak this year in the B12. That’s now, what, 3 straight games lost against teams with at least a 5 game losing streak coming into the game (OU, OSU, and WVU)?

Uncanny.

froggolf65

We had 3 chances to take the last shot and win the game and we only got 1 shot attempt... Robinson shooting a baseline fade away. Not sure how we are in that situation so many times and can't come up with a way to get a decent look... I guess any look at this point.