• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Ex-TCU star KaVontae Turpin opens up about being kicked off team, pro dreams

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Ex TCU star KaVontae Turpin opens up about being kicked off team, pro dreams

By Drew Davison

Former TCU star KaVontae Turpin knows he put his football career in jeopardy last fall, and it remains in doubt with two pending domestic violence charges.

But Turpin is staying positive about his situation and focusing on a hopeful professional career. He’s training at APEC in Fort Worth, possibly for TCU’s pro day on March 29 (if the university allows him to participate) or other workouts with teams.

Turpin just wants an opportunity, whether it’s the NFL, CFL or one of the startup leagues such as the AAF or XFL.

“It’s been stressful,” Turpin said of the time since coach Gary Patterson dismissed him from the TCU program in late October.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article226684294.html#storylink=cpy

Billy Clyde

Made me cringe seeing this. I understand it from the reporter's standpoint (although it would be nice if he at least attempted to ask about the victim)... But if dude isn't going to acknowledge and address his problem, show some contrition... Then just shut up. Feels just really wrong for him to be engaged in self-promotion in this context. And I love him as a player, since day one as a freshman- but I sincerely hope Gary tells him, "No way," about Pro Day. That kind of thing is a privilege which should be reserved for young men who represent TCU the right way.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I would think no. In fact, not a chance.

Not only did he very likely commit some inexcusable violence, he lied about it to Coach P's face. His lies and omissions resulted in embarrassment and harm to the program and to TCU.

Billy Clyde

Not our call. Up to CGP. Whatever decision he makes has my support.

If posts and comments are limited to what is "our call," gonna be pretty Slim Pickens around here... Reasonable position to take, so long as you weren't one of the many calling out Stoops over Mixon, or Urban or Briles over (choose a 'bad dude")

froginmn

If posts and comments are limited to what is "our call," gonna be pretty Slim Pickens around here... Reasonable position to take, so long as you weren't one of the many calling out Stoops over Mixon, or Urban or Briles over (choose a 'bad dude")
og-slim-pickens-35048.jpg

Atomic Frawg

Made me cringe seeing this. I understand it from the reporter's standpoint (although it would be nice if he at least attempted to ask about the victim)... But if dude isn't going to acknowledge and address his problem, show some contrition... Then just shut up. Feels just really wrong for him to be engaged in self-promotion in this context. And I love him as a player, since day one as a freshman- but I sincerely hope Gary tells him, "No way," about Pro Day. That kind of thing is a privilege which should be reserved for young men who represent TCU the right way.
What if he is actually innocent?

Billy Clyde

What if he is actually innocent?

The day after the Fort Worth charge, GP *suspended* him from playing vs. Kansas, "while we look into it." Pretty sure that look included someone meeting with the player.
The day after that, he was kicked off the team permanently... Is there anything about that, or any of the other facts around this whole thing, that says to you, maybe actually innocent?
Also, I'll repeat the theme of an earlier reply: Did you say, "What if Shawn Oakman is actually innocent?"
I think most *good* TCU fans want to believe all our leaders will hold our students and student-athletes to a higher standard than some of our conference brethren. I think and hope we do, and perfectly willing to accept whatever cost comes with that.

HFrog1999

I am not an attorney, but I believe that the 5th Amendment covers the issue well.

It does from a legal standpoint.

However, there a plenty of people who commit crimes who aren’t convicted in a court of law. Just because they’re innocent legally doesn’t mean they didn’t commit the crime.

I wish he were innocent and I’d love to see evidence for that.

However, I have no tolerance for men who hit women.

What Up Toad

Is there one ounce of information out there that leads you to believe he could be? Serious question.

1. The original battery charge was for him grabbing her arms hard enough for them to bruise.
2. The second battery charge was for him grabbing her from behind with one arm across her neck with her feet dragging while she kicked and yelled at him.
3. Patterson said Turpin never lied to him.

I think it makes sense to ignore that they had been in a 4+ year relationship and that they were still together after the initial incident, because plenty of people stay in abusive relationships. I think it makes sense to ignore his mom saying that it was blown out of proportion, because she has a vested interest in him making it to the NFL.

However, I could very easily see it being that they got in a verbal argument and she started punching/kicking him, and the best way for him to react was to try to restrain her.

Again, I don't know that he's innocent, but I think there's definitely a chance.