• The KillerFrogs

Dixon?

Froggish

This thread is silly....Dixon is a very good coach and a huge upgrade over the past guys we’ve had around here. I do think he is struggling with how the game has changed offensively. His most productive years were in the defensive minded, grind it out, beat the hell out of each other Big East. The game is more Spread out and 3Ball driven and for whatever reason he hasn’t been able to coach that style. He built his reputation on defensive teams that rebound well....these Frog teams are none of that...His struggles feel to me like a systematic identity crisis....

He’s in year 3...We are going to be fine

MTfrog5

Dixon took over a program that was absolute trash. It had some players, but had no idea how to win. He took those players and won the NIT year one. They only transfer that pisses me off is Archie. Dude would be playing 20 plus minutes right now and would be taking all of RJ's minutes. Archie thought he was a big time player that everyone in the country said no thanks to so he had to go to UTEP. His defense and rebounding ability is something this team would like as RJ doesn't do either of those particularly well. Offense is a wash even though Archie I think would end up driving the ball with more confidence.

Wexahu

His most productive years were in the defensive minded, grind it out, beat the hell out of each other Big East. The game is more Spread out and 3Ball driven and for whatever reason he hasn’t been able to coach that style. He built his reputation on defensive teams that rebound well....these Frog teams are none of that...His struggles feel to me like a systematic identity crisis....

He’s in year 3...We are going to be fine

Despite that last sentence, this doesn't really sound optimistic. And Year 3 in basketball years is fairly deep into a tenure, especially in the one-and-done/transfer environment of today, it's probably the equivalent to Year 5 in football. I don't think it's a ridiculous opinion to think that things need to start trending up soon or some apathy is going to start setting in. 2016-17 was great because expectations were so low but it's been fairly disappointing since.

Wexahu

Archie thought he was a big time player

Has this been confirmed or is this just what everyone assumes? Even if it is true, based on people's disappointment that he left, it seems like they think he was a big-time player too.

He maybe just didn't like playing basketball for JD and TCU.

MTfrog5

Has this been confirmed or is this just what everyone assumes? Even if it is true, based on people's disappointment that he left, it seems like they think he was a big-time player too.

He maybe just didn't like playing basketball for JD and TCU.
Sometimes you just have to trust people and learn who it is that makes those hints. Based on the video that is out there about Archie saying he’d lockdown Zion and wouldn’t let him dunk, I’d say Archie definitely had some people in his ear telling him he was the next MJ

Froggish

Despite that last sentence, this doesn't really sound optimistic. And Year 3 in basketball years is fairly deep into a tenure, especially in the one-and-done/transfer environment of today, it's probably the equivalent to Year 5 in football. I don't think it's a ridiculous opinion to think that things need to start trending up soon or some apathy is going to start setting in. 2016-17 was great because expectations were so low but it's been fairly disappointing since.

I get it...My question is how far below expectations is he achieving at...Is the expectation in year 3 a Big12 title? Upper half finish?...Seems like we don’t have much a frame of reference for basketball success around here. I’m not saying we haven’t underachieved this year, only that I don’t think we are as far off of expectations as maybe some around here think.

Dixon inherited a program bordering on a state of stagnation. His past reputation for building quality programs

precedes him and if given the proper amount of time.....he will establish a solid program at his alma mater.

Patience is a virtue!

Billy Clyde

I surrender-cobra'd every time RJ got the ball Saturday, knowing he was going to stand there looking lost then heave up a 3 and miss... Almost made me sick to my stomach knowing that it was going to happen. Then when it was too late to matter, he had a really nice drive for a layup and (finally!) a made 3... Maybe this is what Jamie has been seeing in practice that hasn't translated to the games yet. Whether we can make post-season or not, I don't see this team finishing the year the way we all thought they would at the beginning, so I'd to see more of RJ, to find out if maybe the light will come on for him, or if we need to move on from him.

Wexahu

I get it...My question is how far below expectations is he achieving at...Is the expectation in year 3 a Big12 title? Upper half finish?...Seems like we don’t have much a frame of reference for basketball success around here. I’m not saying we haven’t underachieved this year, only that I don’t think we are as far off of expectations as maybe some around here think.

Based on what JD reportedly gets paid, I would think the expectations are NCAA tournament every year, top half the Big 12 virtually every year, and an occasional run to the Sweet 16 or better, how "occasional" is defined is obviously up for debate. Maybe every 3-4 years or so on average.

You don't pay a basketball coach $3M/year to make the NIT and be a middle-of-the-pack program just trying to finish in the top half of the league. You don't pay him that for long anyway. And I know an occasional bad season sometimes can't be avoided.

tetonfrog

I have not lost faith in Dixon. Very happy he is here and think our best days are ahead of us.

That does not mean I don't think there can be improvements, especially in our half-court offense and in-bounds plays. He is a great ambassador for our school and will continue to be successful. I find it amazing that that Frogs fans continue to go off on him. Winning the NIT, making the NCAAs and now probably going back to the NIT is better than anything we have done since Killer was coaching us. And our recruits next year will help us get back to the NCAAs.

The rest of this season is going to be tough, especially if Noi does not come back. The injuries have killed us. Our guys are worn out and it shows. Hope they can find a way to win a game at home against ISU or KSU. That won't stop the trolls from coming back, but it would give the fans a boost.

Jackson

A number of you need to remember where we were for YEARS prior to Dixon’s arrival. The guy brought HIS success to our loser program and has done quite well considering the mess he inherited. If there is a serious issue within the Team one needs to take a long look at the persistent injuries as they are occurring far to often. Our strength and conditioning guru’s program needs to be reevaluated!!

Wexahu

A number of you need to remember where we were for YEARS prior to Dixon’s arrival.

I do remember those. But the bar has been raised. That's what happens when you join a P5 league, pump a bunch of money into massively upgrading your arena, and start paying a coach $3M/year +.

I'm happy he's here, i just want to watch more games where I can say at the end we sure looked like the better-prepared, better-coached team.

Eight

A number of you need to remember where we were for YEARS prior to Dixon’s arrival. The guy brought HIS success to our loser program and has done quite well considering the mess he inherited. If there is a serious issue within the Team one needs to take a long look at the persistent injuries as they are occurring far to often. Our strength and conditioning guru’s program needs to be reevaluated!!

please stop parroting the same old tired line about the s&c coaches needing to be re-evaluated.

which of the transfers/injuries can you name that has a link to that phase of the program?

fisher's broken wrist as a freshman? fisher's multiple cartilage injuries which if if recall correctly he came to tcu with one knee already having been injured while in high school

alok's broken wrist/hand and susequent transfer?

macwilliams issues overcoming a concussion (or was it multiple, we don't and won't know) and subsequent transfer

kaden archie's transfer (i am sure the s &c staff is somehow to blame)

lat hurting the knee over a year ago and seeming to never get fully well

noi spraining an ankle in practice.

please point out which of these are s&c related? maybe if they were throwing weights at jaylen and yuat and asking them to catch them when they both suffered the fractures. maybe you might have something about fisher and mayan being cleared to play by the medical staff, but since we have no real knowledge of the injuries we are just hitting golf balls in the fog.

Last edited:

jake102

You don't pay a basketball coach $3M/year to make the NIT and be a middle-of-the-pack program just trying to finish in the top half of the league. You don't pay him that for long anyway. And I know an occasional bad season sometimes can't be avoided.

Very valid point. He is certainly being paid to produce, part of the deal. We didn't get him on the cheap or something.

LawFrog504

I have not lost faith in Dixon. Very happy he is here and think our best days are ahead of us.

That does not mean I don't think there can be improvements, especially in our half-court offense and in-bounds plays. He is a great ambassador for our school and will continue to be successful. I find it amazing that that Frogs fans continue to go off on him. Winning the NIT, making the NCAAs and now probably going back to the NIT is better than anything we have done since Killer was coaching us. And our recruits next year will help us get back to the NCAAs.

The rest of this season is going to be tough, especially if Noi does not come back. The injuries have killed us. Our guys are worn out and it shows. Hope they can find a way to win a game at home against ISU or KSU. That won't stop the trolls from coming back, but it would give the fans a boost.
We have inbounds plays? Haven't seen a single one all year. Usually it's holding the ball for 4.5-4.8 seconds and then humming it backcourt to Arob to set up another PNR set

Eight

I do remember those. But the bar has been raised. That's what happens when you join a P5 league, pump a bunch of money into massively upgrading your arena, and start paying a coach $3M/year +.

I'm happy he's here, i just want to watch more games where I can say at the end we sure looked like the better-prepared, better-coached team.

agree. not sucking in my mind is just not an appropriate benchmark.

what is? i agree wex in being competitive and in the top half of a difficult conference is not shooting for the moon.

i hear we need to be patient and allow time, but when you are talking about a 13-man roster and individual players can have a bigger impact than any of the 3 major sports exactly what is enough time.

dixon has signed 14 players in his first 3 classes. 7 of those players remain on the roster with bane only 1 more year. you have 3 very talented players signed for next year.

what that tells me is that there is a great deal of work in regards to the roster, there is significant work need in the development of the 2 big's on the roster, the offense needs to be tweaked and mentioning any of these should not be off limits or viewed as asking for dixon's job.

Last edited:

BABYFACE

We have inbounds plays? Haven't seen a single one all year. Usually it's holding the ball for 4.5-4.8 seconds and then humming it backcourt to Arob to set up another PNR set
I have seen them lob into Bane and Noi for easy baskets on an inbounds play. They have been there but not as frequently as most of us would like and been absent the last few games.

Farmfrog

With all the injuries we’ve had I give Coach Dixon a pass. It’s hard to win games when you only play 7 or 8 guys. Now are there some in game decisions that are questionable, yes. He came here as a defensive guy but it hasn’t translated and that needs to change.