• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU needs to get back on track v Oklahoma St; what’s the latest on Kouat Noi? / Game Thread

CountryFrog

I must have missed the announcement about our walk on tryout last month.

And it would’ve been kick ass to roll out Kurt Thomas tonight too, but you gotta roll with what you have. Adding variables to the woulda shoulda’s are just excuses in the end.
Kurt Thomas? I'm talking about missing guys who were actually in the team photo this year, not guys who graduated 30 years ago.

You can say we should've won this game if you want but acting like injuries aren't a factor because you have to "roll with what you've got" is just being silly. If the Warriors lose Curry, Durant, and Thompson then they'll "roll with what they've got" right to a first round playoff exit.

WhatTheFrog

Is it me, or does Samuel seem surprised every time the ball is passed to him? That’s unfortunate, they need to get the ball into him in the paint for more high percentage shots. Once he gets it, he needs to move with authority, my opinion.

Too bad we couldn’t defend the 3 tonight.

King of Fun

This team is trash. We’ll limp into the tournament with a first round exit.

Don’t see what people think is so great about Dixon. Average at best.

Rose Bowl

Im sure this won’t be popular but Samuel just isn’t very good. He can’t make a jumper and can only turn over his right shoulder. I know we miss Kenny but this team doesn’t have a guy like Vlad who can make perimeter shots. If he’s not blocking shots he has very little effect on the game.

The effort from the players seems to be there but Jamie has not been very good lately. The staff has not put the guys in positions to succeed. Stubbornness seems to keep the staff from making the needed adjustments and I just can’t understand.

flyfishingfrog

Im sure this won’t be popular but Samuel just isn’t very good. He can’t make a jumper and can only turn over his right shoulder. I know we miss Kenny but this team doesn’t have a guy like Vlad who can make perimeter shots. If he’s not blocking shots he has very little effect on the game.

The effort from the players seems to be there but Jamie has not been very good lately. The staff has not put the guys in positions to succeed. Stubbornness seems to keep the staff from making the needed adjustments and I just can’t understand.
I agree on Samuel at the moment

A big that doesn’t play big on both ends (he does on D) and can’t hit a 5 ft jumper or hook isn’t going to be effective in the B12

So he is going to need to add something in the off-season

But I am not sure what all you guys who want Jamie to adjust expect him to adjust to right now

We don’t have a strong inside capability
We can’t shoot the 3 well beyond 2 people and 1 is hurt
And driving the lane when no one worried about you dishing it off is bound to fail- especially when you are a foot shorter than the defender

netty2424

Kurt Thomas? I'm talking about missing guys who were actually in the team photo this year, not guys who graduated 30 years ago.

You can say we should've won this game if you want but acting like injuries aren't a factor because you have to "roll with what you've got" is just being silly. If the Warriors lose Curry, Durant, and Thompson then they'll "roll with what they've got" right to a first round playoff exit.
Silly? You listed a guy who’s not on the roster anymore and an guy who was scratched due to injury, then used them in a hypothetical to chalk up a win by 10+.

Point is, his availability and Noi and Fishers availability yesterday were exactly the same. So feel free to act like they aren’t hurt or were available so we win by 10 on your schedule. An L is still an L in the history books and this team very well may not win another game this season. But I guess maybe if we had Lee Nailon and Angus McWilliam we win by 10+.

MTfrog5

With a full roster, this is a top 20 team. With Noi hurt we can’t have anyone have a bad night on offense. Last night it was Davis who had his worse game in awhile. Still think we will be a lot better with the simple addition by subtraction, but I really think a grad transfer guard will help.

CountryFrog

Silly? You listed a guy who’s not on the roster anymore and an guy who was scratched due to injury, then used them in a hypothetical to chalk up a win by 10+.

Point is, his availability and Noi and Fishers availability yesterday were exactly the same. So feel free to act like they aren’t hurt or were available so we win by 10 on your schedule. An L is still an L in the history books and this team very well may not win another game this season. But I guess maybe if we had Lee Nailon and Angus McWilliam we win by 10+.
The hell are you talking about? I have no idea what you're reading when you respond to my posts. You either have no reading comprehension or you purposefully spin what I say into something extreme and ridiculous.

Eight

With a full roster, this is a top 20 team. With Noi hurt we can’t have anyone have a bad night on offense. Last night it was Davis who had his worse game in awhile. Still think we will be a lot better with the simple addition by subtraction, but I really think a grad transfer guard will help.

i think this is a good to very good team with a healthy roster though not sure top 20.

the holes that were apparent at the start are still there. when the team moves the ball and doesn't settle for quick 3's it is a good offense and when it bogs down with a player of two dominating the ball in the offensive end by dribbling out high or someone is settling for quick shots there were struggles.

the other area that has been there all year long is the lack of any real depth at 4 or 5 and no interior offensive game. when you look at the 6 players who have either transferred or been down with injury none really showed a proven presence inside on the offensive end. no one player showed they had the ability to fill the role vlad did in this offense by hitting the shot from the elbow on the high screen as well as effectively post up down low.

non-conference the frogs did okay without this presence because no one really posed the defensive presence they have seen in the big 12. no real way to know in conference play and i will concede having fisher and noi back does change this team from the perimeter.

neither though fills the hole in offense left by williams and vlad and neither is a great on the ball defender.

i have said it before and will say it again, every member of the 2019 recruiting class is either a wing or guard and the tallest player is 6'6".

no way this program can go into next year and expect significant change without bringing in multiple big's. you have samuel and barlow and no other big's on the projected roster for nbext year and if there is one area the frogs have struggled to recruit depth in these 4 classes of dixon are big's.

MTfrog5

i think this is a good to very good team with a healthy roster though not sure top 20.

the holes that were apparent at the start are still there. when the team moves the ball and doesn't settle for quick 3's it is a good offense and when it bogs down with a player of two dominating the ball in the offensive end by dribbling out high or someone is settling for quick shots there were struggles.

the other area that has been there all year long is the lack of any real depth at 4 or 5 and no interior offensive game. when you look at the 6 players who have either transferred or been down with injury none really showed a proven presence inside on the offensive end. no one player showed they had the ability to fill the role vlad did in this offense by hitting the shot from the elbow on the high screen as well as effectively post up down low.

non-conference the frogs did okay without this presence because no one really posed the defensive presence they have seen in the big 12. no real way to know in conference play and i will concede having fisher and noi back does change this team from the perimeter.

neither though fills the hole in offense left by williams and vlad and neither is a great on the ball defender.

i have said it before and will say it again, every member of the 2019 recruiting class is either a wing or guard and the tallest player is 6'6".

no way this program can go into next year and expect significant change without bringing in multiple big's. you have samuel and barlow and no other big's on the projected roster for nbext year and if there is one area the frogs have struggled to recruit depth in these 4 classes of dixon are big's.
Disagree and still think that just Fisher and Noi healthy this team is a top 20 team. I do agree that nobody has replace Vlad and JD hasn’t developed into the best defender like his goal was. With Fisher though, that creates another scoring threat we really don’t have and allowed Samuel more room down low. Alok was also starting to get more aggressive before he broke his hand. He also had a mid range shot that Samuel doesn’t have and was at the least a body at the 5. Still think this is a top 20 team and would be top 4 in conference if Fisher and Noi were healthy.

Eight

Disagree and still think that just Fisher and Noi healthy this team is a top 20 team. I do agree that nobody has replace Vlad and JD hasn’t developed into the best defender like his goal was. With Fisher though, that creates another scoring threat we really don’t have and allowed Samuel more room down low. Alok was also starting to get more aggressive before he broke his hand. He also had a mid range shot that Samuel doesn’t have and was at the least a body at the 5. Still think this is a top 20 team and would be top 4 in conference if Fisher and Noi were healthy.

i do agree noi and fisher change the spacing on the offensive end of the floor. still not sure if this team is good enough defensively to finish in the top 4 of the conference.

when i look at kstate, kansas, tech, and iowa state they all have holes, don't really have a dominant player so they have to rely on the collective, but at their best they take care of the ball and play solid half court defense.

the big 12 is going to be interesting to watch it play out and i do think the team that wins the regular season title will be the one who can stay on point defensively and not carelessly turn the ball over.

this would also be a good year in regards to the overall conference to not have a tournament. i know it doesn't work that well, but i think after this season and then the weekend some teams are going to be spent come time for the ncaa tournament.