• The KillerFrogs

Game Thread: Frogs vs Jayhawks

We shot very poorly. Didn't deserve to win based on that, however I saw way too many foul by Kansas go uncalled.

I mean they blatantly tripped Robinson late in the game and then even the biased announcers agreed that blocking foul on TCU should have been a Kansas charge.

4th. down

the most frustrating part of the loss is the things that have bit this team in the butt all season continue to happen.

they can't do anything about getting any of the 4 players back who left the program and effectively this is a 6-man roster as they are not getting much of anything from lat and after showing flashes from rj against ku and baylor he has disappeared.

so focus on what you can control and that is where this loss is so frustrating. defensively certain players not getting back to shooters and asking samuel to defend much more mobile players out away from the basket.

i don't even want to talk about a couple of the fast breaks when you had two experienced players not recognize kansas had multiple players release up the flow. the lack of court awareness at times is stunning and that isn't an issue of talent or experience.

offensively the lack of a post game kills this team at times. they struggle to score easier baskets and the last three offensive possessions were not good and when bane is standing in the corner not involved that just can't happen.

the first three offensive possessions of the overtime period weren't good as well and my biggest fear is that while the talent and players might change the offensive system stays the same.

you don't have to call timeout to run a play, somehow other teams do it and yes the program is in far better shape than it was when dixon came in, yet these same type of mistakes that can be corrected would still be frustrating.

"the first three offensive possessions of the overtime period weren't good as well and my biggest fear is that while the talent and players might change the offensive system stays the same. "

That is my biggest worry going forward. Not only this year but on down the road. Kansas showed us how to flow a motion offense with 4 freshmen.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
This is a different team after winning that game at the buzzer last week! Confidence level very high! Great crowd and atmosphere last night!!

Anyone not at the game? Did the crowd sound loud on tv?

Watched the game on TV.

Crowd looked great--don't know if the later start had anything to do with it, but this was the first game I've watched and saw a full house, especially the lower level seating.

Noise?--the home faithful were so loud I had to crank down the volume on my TV.

Pharm Frog

"the first three offensive possessions of the overtime period weren't good as well and my biggest fear is that while the talent and players might change the offensive system stays the same. "

That is my biggest worry going forward. Not only this year but on down the road. Kansas showed us how to flow a motion offense with 4 freshmen.

This doesn't worry me at all. We have seen our offense flow in motion quite well but it doesn't appear that we have the urgency to do it all the time. Personally, I didn't mind running off a lot of clock. What I minded most was what we didn't do with the time when we decided to attack (and who was involved). I just think a lot of our players get transfixed standing and watching and then don't get moving to create openness and spacing when the time comes. I think better and more diversified talent and more court savvy (and experience from one player in particular) will cure a lot of this.

I’d feel better about evaluations of the offense it I were confident the players are actually running JD’s offense. The Frogs need players who can set a pick if the offense is ball screen/pick and roll

jake102

Go back and watch those “point blank shots” under the rim. They were incredibly contested. You guys make it seem like he is missing bunny layups. KU’s defense was really good in the second half and every shot was highly contested.

Yeah I don't understand the point blank comment. What I do have a problem with is taking point blank shots when you have two or three guys all over you. You would be better off taking a contested 3 pointer than throwing the basketball at the rim from three feet away. It's going to get blocked the vast majority of the time, and if it doesn't, it's unlikely to go in. I'm all for driving the paint and being aggressive, but you have to know when they've got the numbers and kick it out. Just because you are close to the rim doesn't mean it's a good shot.

Wexahu

I’d feel better about evaluations of the offense it I were confident the players are actually running JD’s offense. The Frogs need players who can set a pick if the offense is ball screen/pick and roll

They need to be more creative off the ball IMO. Way way way too often our offense is a guy dribbling up top with 2-3 others just kind of standing around. We need more motion, more off the ball screens, more cutting either to the basket or to open areas outside the 3-point circle.

Pick and rolls are fine but college players have a lot harder time executing them than NBA players do, mainly because the big men aren't nearly as skilled.

Wexahu

Yeah I don't understand the point blank comment. What I do have a problem with is taking point blank shots when you have two or three guys all over you. You would be better off taking a contested 3 pointer than throwing the basketball at the rim from three feet away. It's going to get blocked the vast majority of the time, and if it doesn't, it's unlikely to go in. I'm all for driving the paint and being aggressive, but you have to know when they've got the numbers and kick it out. Just because you are close to the rim doesn't mean it's a good shot.

Plus when you miss those kind of shots it really opens up the fast break on the other end. Having your PG sprawled out on the floor usually isn't good for your transition defense.

4th. down

This doesn't worry me at all. We have seen our offense flow in motion quite well but it doesn't appear that we have the urgency to do it all the time. Personally, I didn't mind running off a lot of clock. What I minded most was what we didn't do with the time when we decided to attack (and who was involved). I just think a lot of our players get transfixed standing and watching and then don't get moving to create openness and spacing when the time comes. I think better and more diversified talent and more court savvy (and experience from one player in particular) will cure a lot of this.

Well yes, but we appear to be running a motion offense but it surely isn't like the one Kansas was running last night and i don't think it was talent per say because they had 4 freshmen on the floor a lot against our starting 5. Again, and I'm going to give everyone a break on this, TOO MUCH DRIBBLING and the clock running down and with 5 seconds left we clang one off the backboard. To me, that's coaching, not a talent difference. IF, we make it to the dance, don't look for this type of clock management to beat high quality teams.

Wexahu

Well yes, but we appear to be running a motion offense but it surely isn't like the one Kansas was running last night and i don't think it was talent per say because they had 4 freshmen on the floor a lot against our starting 5. Again, and I'm going to give everyone a break on this, TOO MUCH DRIBBLING and the clock running down and with 5 seconds left we clang one off the backboard. To me, that's coaching, not a talent difference. IF, we make it to the dance, don't look for this type of clock management to beat high quality teams.

I'm impressed with how quickly JD has turned the program from a perennial loser to pretty good in short order but I'll be honest, when I watch us play I don't often see what I would consider a well-coached team. I don't know if it's just the fact that we've got quite a few kids with low basketball sense and JD just has to deal with it or what. And while I thought it was a little better last night, sometimes our clock/score/situation awareness is just awful.

4th. down

I'm impressed with how quickly JD has turned the program from a perennial loser to pretty good in short order but I'll be honest, when I watch us play I don't often see what I would consider a well-coached team. I don't know if it's just the fact that we've got quite a few kids with low basketball sense and JD just has to deal with it or what. And while I thought it was a little better last night, sometimes our clock/score/situation awareness is just awful.

I just don't understand when we have 25 secs. left in regulation, we don't call time out and set up a play for Bane to drive to the basket where he either makes it or gets fouled and he can shoot free throws. I'm having trouble getting my head around this or it could be that we were out of timeouts?

jake102

I just don't understand when we have 25 secs. left in regulation, we don't call time out and set up a play for Bane to drive to the basket where he either makes it or gets fouled and he can shoot free throws. I'm having trouble getting my head around this or it could be that we were out of timeouts?

It was a communication mistake that is ultimately on Dixon. In that situation a player on the court has to call timeout, not Dixon. That obviously didn't happen. I had no idea this was a rule until reading about it this morning.

MAcFroggy

I know Miller has not played well the past month or so, but he has been a pretty solid player for us throughout his career. He is asked to do a lot. Last night he was forced to guard players much larger than him. He might miss a lot of shots, but he always brings energy to the game. He and Davis seemed to be the only ones in OT willing to get dirty and drive to the basket.

The most frustrating thing for me to watch is the continual screen and roll near the top of the key. Robinson just gets his head down too much, and fails to see the floor at times.

This team is talented and has good scorers (particularly Bane). I think those players and Dixon need to be a little more assertive in getting the ball in their hands near the end of games.

We are still safely in the field of 68 right now. If we can make the tournament two years in a row that would be a HUGE step for this program. I know we all want to win every game, but sometimes we have to take a step back and look at how well we are doing as a program.

jake102

I know Miller has not played well the past month or so, but he has been a pretty solid player for us throughout his career. He is asked to do a lot. Last night he was forced to guard players much larger than him. He might miss a lot of shots, but he always brings energy to the game. He and Davis seemed to be the only ones in OT willing to get dirty and drive to the basket.

There is absolutely no questioning Miller's desire and effort. He's a great Frog, the ceiling just isn't very high and our offensive game plan should take that into consideration. I wish Noi would take a note from Miller on how to play with energy on both sides of the floor.

MTfrog5

They need to be more creative off the ball IMO. Way way way too often our offense is a guy dribbling up top with 2-3 others just kind of standing around. We need more motion, more off the ball screens, more cutting either to the basket or to open areas outside the 3-point circle.

Pick and rolls are fine but college players have a lot harder time executing them than NBA players do, mainly because the big men aren't nearly as skilled.
Our screens are horrendous. Our post don’t even make contact which is the fault of whoever is trying to get open typically. Can say the same on the pick in roll. Our screen slips every time. That is a great tool if you do it every once in awhile but not every time. Last night Kansas didn’t allow the guard to turn the corner and the screener isn’t a threat from the outside. Kansas knew that and basically took away the entire play by doubling the ball. I think the new rule that the screener’s feet can’t be wider than his shoulders has decreased the ability to set a solid screen with the worry of being called for an illegal screen

Jackson

We shot very poorly. Didn't deserve to win based on that, however I saw way too many foul by Kansas go uncalled.

I mean they blatantly tripped Robinson late in the game and then even the biased announcers agreed that blocking foul on TCU should have been a Kansas charge.
Agree the charging call against us was BS. Don’t agree with your complaining about a no call on Robinson.....he spends so much time out of control the Refs are never going to give him that 50/50 call. IF he were playing against us and foul were called we’d all be claiming KU owns the Big XII Refs!

Eight

It was a communication mistake that is ultimately on Dixon. In that situation a player on the court has to call timeout, not Dixon. That obviously didn't happen. I had no idea this was a rule until reading about it this morning.

you don't have to call a time out to tell your 5 on the floor to run a specific play. other programs somehow do it and i get the feeling dixon places a huge amount of trust in the players on the floor to make good decisions with what they see on the floor

MTfrog5

you don't have to call a time out to tell your 5 on the floor to run a specific play. other programs somehow do it and i get the feeling dixon places a huge amount of trust in the players on the floor to make good decisions with what they see on the floor
I'm fine with everything on that last possession except that Davis didn't have the ball. Hell when he got the ball with 4 seconds left he was actually able to get around the defender for a decent shot even though it was late.