• The KillerFrogs

Re: Hurt to OU, I agree with Sewo

Wexahu

I think he's a decent player, but IMO they aren't going to get the QB play they've gotten the past couple years. Not even close. Hurts operating behind a mostly rebuilt OL doesn't really scare me a great deal IMO. They'll be good because they are Oklahoma and they'll be hard as hell to beat because they've got a lot of good players, but they'll have to do it a bit differently.

Portland Frog

I hope it turns out to be hype. Riley develops QBs well. We will see. Hurts may not have been flashy but Bama won with him. And Riley may make him even better.

BABYFACE

It would have been great to have Hurts here at TCU for one season to allow JR more time to heal and Duggan to redshirt. Will Hurts be as good as Murray or Mayfield at OU? Don’t know, but we will get that answer this next season.

As mentioned previously, I would be shocked to see the DT Athletic Club Heisman committee award 3 Heismans in a row to an OU player no matter how deserving the player is.

Last edited:

Snoop1122

This makes me dislike OU all the more. All we can do is prove him wrong for not considering the Frogs and JR can show the doubters up.

FrogCop19

What worries me is that last year everyone was saying exactly the same things about Murray that we are saying now about Hurts. "He's good, but *choose an excuse*, so he's going to struggle. I mean, he's no Mayfield, right?"

BAM. Heisman.

Rebuilt OL! Facing different defenses! People have film and can plan for him! He's too short! He's not as fast or accurate as Mayfield. No way he can be as good as Mayfield, right? RIGHT???

Yeah, we all said that stuff last year about Murray. So now OU has another 5* QB from the SEC coming in, and Riley has a track record of digging to the bottom of the barrel in terms of getting the most out of his players. I'm not gonna lie, this makes me nervous.

LisaLT

I figured he'd end up at OU. How can any school compete with back to back QB Heisman winners, PLUS the #1 overall pick in the draft (Mayfield), and Murray likely to go in the first round as well. If I were Hurts, and I had NFL aspirations, I pick OU too.

I hope we beat the heck out of them this year.

Purp

What worries me is that last year everyone was saying exactly the same things about Murray that we are saying now about Hurts. "He's good, but *choose an excuse*, so he's going to struggle. I mean, he's no Mayfield, right?"

BAM. Heisman.

Rebuilt OL! Facing different defenses! People have film and can plan for him! He's too short! He's not as fast or accurate as Mayfield. No way he can be as good as Mayfield, right? RIGHT???

Yeah, we all said that stuff last year about Murray. So now OU has another 5* QB from the SEC coming in, and Riley has a track record of digging to the bottom of the barrel in terms of getting the most out of his players. I'm not gonna lie, this makes me nervous.
I said these things, but I think the difference with Hurts is he has a much larger body of work to demonstrate his deficiencies throwing the ball. I said it in another thread, but if Lincoln gets Hurts anywhere near the Heisman conversation next year then he'll be able to name his price in the NFL the following year. If he's not in the Heisman conversation then OU has a downgraded QB situation which helps us. Hurts is not a top NFL prospect right now for a reason. If Lincoln makes him one then NFL teams will be grovelling at his feet.

Last edited:

Wexahu

BAM. Heisman.

It would be a hell of an experiment to put Jalen Hurts on 2018 Kansas State and Alex Delton on 2018 Alabama and just see what the results are. I'm not saying Delton is better at all, but the result of that experiment might have people having drastically different opinions about those two players. Those Bama guys are slinging it around to absolute studs at WR and Delton was throwing to a bunch of guys that were probably thrilled to be playing at a P5 school. That HAS to make a major difference.

crash813

Also remember, Mayfield and Murray had multiple years to develop at OU. Hurts has the spring. We'll see how successful they'll be next year. It was an obvious choice for Hurts but is OU hurting developing internal talent by doing this?

Eight

Also remember, Mayfield and Murray had multiple years to develop at OU. Hurts has the spring. We'll see how successful they'll be next year. It was an obvious choice for Hurts but is OU hurting developing internal talent by doing this?

i think the primary focus is winning games and that in riley's mind starts will playing the best quarterback he can find be it via conventional means of recruiting and developing or transfers.