• The KillerFrogs

FWST: If Alabama’s Jalen Hurts decides to transfer ... TCU could be “perfect landing spot”

Purp

Not sure why. I haven't seen anything from Hurts at Alabama to suggest he has anywhere near the ability to hurt you like Bakefield and Kyler did by extending plays and throwing perfect passes on the run after escaping a half dozen certain tackles. Hurts is a great athlete and a solid QB, but I actually feel pretty good about CGP's ability to defend OU with him at the helm compared to the last two guys they trotted out there.

I boldly said very similar things about Kyler last year so I could very well be wrong on this one, but Jalen has a much larger body of work than Kyler at this level and i think his abilities are fairly well known at this point. If Lincoln gets Hurts anywhere near the Heisman conversation then the NFL will covet him more than anybody else for being a QB whisperer.

netty2424

Not sure why. I haven't seen anything from Hurts at Alabama to suggest he has anywhere near the ability to hurt you like Bakefield and Kyler did by extending plays and throwing perfect passes on the run after escaping a half dozen certain tackles. Hurts is a great athlete and a solid QB, but I actually feel pretty good about CGP's ability to defend OU with him at the helm compared to the last two guys they trotted out there.

I boldly said very similar things about Kyler last year so I could very well be wrong on this one, but Jalen has a much larger body of work than Kyler at this level and i think his abilities are fairly well known at this point. If Lincoln gets Hurts anywhere near the Heisman conversation then the NFL will covet him more than anybody else for being a QB whisperer.
Not dismissing BM or KM talents because they’re proving they’re really good QBs, but it’s no secret they both had ridiculously good offensive lines to stand behind. The type of line that might take a pretty good QB to a really good QB.

Hurts was the benefactor in the same way at Bama. What was he, 26-2 coming into last year or something like that? Not sure he got benched bc he wasn’t any good, he just got passed up by a guy that had a better arm.

He’s going to win a bunch of games next year.

lonestarfrog89

Solely because I would rather not find out how good he will be in this conference by being on the receiving end of another OU butt whipping. Would have preferred to have had him on our sideline.

Purp

Not dismissing BM or KM talents because they’re proving they’re really good QBs, but it’s no secret they both had ridiculously good offensive lines to stand behind. The type of line that might take a pretty good QB to a really good QB.

Hurts was the benefactor in the same way at Bama. What was he, 26-2 coming into last year or something like that? Not sure he got benched bc he wasn’t any good, he just got passed up by a guy that had a better arm.

He’s going to win a bunch of games next year.
That's kinda my point, though. Hurts has already played behind a top 5 OL in the country and was an average passer. He would make some great plays and then he'd miss some easy ones. Very inconsistent with his arm. He consistently beat people with his legs, but without the extra threat of his arm like Murray and Bakefield had I feel like it's a little easier for GP to defend against.

He may end up torching us like the last two guys, but if he does I think Lincoln will name his price in the NFL the next year. Hurts is trying to play another year in college bc he doesn't project so well to the NFL right now. If that changes after a single season under Riley then I'll be convinced anybody would have been a successful QB at OU.

netty2424

That's kinda my point, though. Hurts has already played behind a top 5 OL in the country and was an average passer. He would make some great plays and then he'd miss some easy ones. Very inconsistent with his arm. He consistently beat people with his legs, but without the extra threat of his arm like Murray and Bakefield had I feel like it's a little easier for GP to defend against.

He may end up torching us like the last two guys, but if he does I think Lincoln will name his price in the NFL the next year. Hurts is trying to play another year in college bc he doesn't project so well to the NFL right now. If that changes after a single season under Riley then I'll be convinced anybody would have been a successful QB at OU.
I’m not a Bama fan and admittantly haven’t watched them consistently enough to say he doesn’t have a good arm or isn’t a consistent passer. But we certainly hear that a lot.

It’ll be interesting to see how Riley creates the offense with him in it.

Purp

I’m not a Bama fan and admittantly haven’t watched them consistently enough to say he doesn’t have a good arm or isn’t a consistent passer. But we certainly hear that a lot.

It’ll be interesting to see how Riley creates the offense with him in it.
I watched a lot of Bama football b/c I usually look for the best games on Saturdays to watch. They tend to be among the best. Hurts has a respectable completion %, but it was largely a lot of low risk passes. He'd throw a handful of deep balls with varying degrees of quality, but even the short stuff was great at times and perplexing at others. He's definitely a good QB and I wish he'd come to Fort Worth, but I don't see him as a game change for OU that will keep them as tough to defend as they have been recently. I see Hurts as a much better version of Alex Delton.

netty2424

I watched a lot of Bama football b/c I usually look for the best games on Saturdays to watch. They tend to be among the best. Hurts has a respectable completion %, but it was largely a lot of low risk passes. He'd throw a handful of deep balls with varying degrees of quality, but even the short stuff was great at times and perplexing at others. He's definitely a good QB and I wish he'd come to Fort Worth, but I don't see him as a game change for OU that will keep them as tough to defend as they have been recently. I see Hurts as a much better version of Alex Delton.
Sounds like you were describing Cumbies playbook.

LisaLT

Sounds like Lincoln Riley had a change of heart about Kendall transferring to WVU. Looks like he won’t [ the old ricardo ] block that after all.