• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
I have not heard good things about Engines, but Alita sounds like a good time?
Same here regarding Engines, but it’s on my list. Alita does look like it has great potential.

Wife is taking me to see Will Ferrell as Holmes later today. Hoping for a good laugh, but keeping my expectations low.

Eight

the trailers for marwen never were appealing and when i read a bit of the storyline it sounded like a bad variation of suck punch

Pharm Frog

Same here regarding Engines, but it’s on my list. Alita does look like it has great potential.

Wife is taking me to see Will Ferrell as Holmes later today. Hoping for a good laugh, but keeping my expectations low.

When articles are being written about a movie being most notable for the number of people walking out, it’s probably best to keep expectations low.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
When articles are being written about a movie being most notable for the number of people walking out, it’s probably best to keep expectations low.

Well... that was something. Certainly don't think it deserved a 0% on Rotten Tomatoes, but it wasn't one of Ferrell's better efforts by far. There was a lot he could have done to spoof Holmes, but it ended up a wasted effort, devoid of originality, that came across as a madlibs-style script. There were a few moments but they were overshadowed by gags that overstayed their welcome and several current events jokes that landed flat.

Wait to see Holmes and Watson until it gets to cable TV.

Eight

Well... that was something. Certainly don't think it deserved a 0% on Rotten Tomatoes, but it wasn't one of Ferrell's better efforts by far. There was a lot he could have done to spoof Holmes, but it ended up a wasted effort, devoid of originality, that came across as a madlibs-style script. There were a few moments but they were overshadowed by gags that overstayed their welcome and several current events jokes that landed flat.

this looks like a mash up of ricky bobby and step brothers in england and all improv

HFrog1999

That’s so disappointing.

Chongo94

Mortal Engines is apparently a big big bomb for that studio. The books may be cool but that concept for a movie seems DOA to me.

Chongo94

this looks like a mash up of ricky bobby and step brothers in england and all improv

Heard that’s exactly what it is. I thought the trailers looked stupid and decided to pass and seems like with all the reports of people walking out I’m not missing a thing.

Will Ferrell needs to take a vacation for a while and rediscover his humor. Last movie of his I truly enjoyed was Talledega Nights I believe.

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Please report your findings
Events conspired, and we didn't make it. We were both a little peeved that all we had to choose from was a mid-afternoon showing and no other options.

I imagine it will be released soon on a disc or something.

Chongo94

Just finished Bird Box and I’m not sure what to think. I’m not sure I liked it as much as everyone else it seems.

It’s a grind at parts. Towards the end I was just ready for it to be over, especially in the forest, damn they drew that out. I didn’t dislike it I guess, but there was just something that I can’t put my finger on that was meh for me. Wasn’t great by any means so I don’t understand all the massive press it received.

Last edited:

netty2424

Watched a documentary called Operation Odessa.

It’s about 3 guys involved in dealings with the cartels as they negotiated a submarine deal with the Russians after the Soviet Union collapsed and everything was for sale, including Russian helicopters, subs, etc.

Fascinating.

Chongo94

Watched a documentary called Operation Odessa.

It’s about 3 guys involved in dealings with the cartels as they negotiated a submarine deal with the Russians after the Soviet Union collapsed and everything was for sale, including Russian helicopters, subs, etc.

Fascinating.

I watched that! Russia post-communism ‘90s was apparently just off the chains!

Good documentary.