• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Houston reportedly lures Holgorsen away from W. Va.

FrogLifeYo

Y
Hard to recruit to WVU considering West Virginia produces very little high school football talent. Easier to build a better program at Houston arguably.

You could say this statement about 1/2 the Big12...KU,KSU,ISU,WVU,OU, and OSU all reside in poor recruiting states...It’s not a reasonable excuse in today’s CFB landscape

TCUdirtbag

Really interested to see how this plays out on Texas Tech Internet. Holgo to UH pretty much tells you he was Tech’s to lose and the AD said no. And in the AAC, Holgo is almost sure to have a better record than Wells every year.

Who does WVU go get? They’re a place that could handle Leach’a eccentricities, yeah? Would Littrell be a candidate? This is late in the cycle and could be a tough search. Can they afford to get Campbell away from ISU?

MTfrog5

Really interested to see how this plays out on Texas Tech Internet. Holgo to UH pretty much tells you he was Tech’s to lose and the AD said no. And in the AAC, Holgo is almost sure to have a better record than Wells every year.

Who does WVU go get? They’re a place that could handle Leach’a eccentricities, yeah? Would Littrell be a candidate? This is late in the cycle and could be a tough search. Can they afford to get Campbell away from ISU?
I've seen Troy's coach thrown around as a possible hire

Aside from the obvious monetary considerations involved.....a move from West Virginia to the UofH is farcical.

A simple case of "Money Talks, BS Walks"

MTfrog5

Some very interesting tidbits... Houston opens at OU, "neutral" site in Houston against Leach, at North Texas. Could be 0-3 pretty easily imo. Also they have Tech in 2021 and 2022. Holgo going to try and score 100 in those games.

LVH

Makes you wonder how successful UH needs to be with this hire for it to be impactful.

I think UH still has their sights set on the Big 12 or a better conference, and I just don't see it happening. The Big 12 is a lot more stable than it was, and any movement would be 2024 at the earliest.

Still wont stop us getting drive by posted from UH fans though.

Dogfrog

Saturating a state with too much college football has been proven to hurt success by watering down tv viewership and hyper competitive recruiting as we saw in the SWC. There are five P5 schools in the state of Texas, only other state close is California with four. One more would be disastrous. Go ahead and expand if you want but UH is a loser. UH is desperate and any talk of PAC 12 interest is being generated by UH IMO.

Eight

Makes you wonder how successful UH needs to be with this hire for it to be impactful.

I think UH still has their sights set on the Big 12 or a better conference, and I just don't see it happening. The Big 12 is a lot more stable than it was, and any movement would be 2024 at the earliest.

Still wont stop us getting drive by posted from UH fans though.

you raise a very good question.

if uh wins 9-10 games a season with dana, but stays in the g5 and never makes the cfp will fertitta consider this a success?

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Good move. Dana couldn’t get WVU over the hump given the disadvantages facing him from a dearth of quality HS players to geography/travel issues in the B12. At Houston he negates those issues and gains a favorable schedule and grateful fan base to help build a program.

I like to see the G5 schools, like UCF, continue to improve and shake up the cabal of the CFP. The more G5 schools that can pressure the status quo each season the sooner we can get to an 8 or 16 team playoff and a true post-season. However, UH to the B12 makes no sense. I would expect the ACC take UH and UCF before our conference considers adding another Texas school and boxing us in geographically.