• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Watched my Xmas present last night
This is Where I Leave You
then afterwards realized it was an updated version of another old favorite film, The Big Chill. A bit macabre to realize I enjoy family/friends dysfunctional dramedys when brought together by funerals. Guess I could toss The Judge in there as well tho it’s more drama than comedy.

talor

Watched my Xmas present last night
This is Where I Leave You
then afterwards realized it was an updated version of another old favorite film, The Big Chill. A bit macabre to realize I enjoy family/friends dysfunctional dramedys when brought together by funerals. Guess I could toss The Judge in there as well tho it’s more drama than comedy.
Its likeable but kinda sad too. We are all dysfunctional in unique ways

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
You wont see it advertised but the WWI documentary by Oscar award winner Peter Jackson called "They Shall Not Grow Old" is showing tomorrow and is supposed to be really freaking good.

Mrs. Brewingfrog and I are going to see it tomorrow.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Saw Mary Poppins Returns with the kids and it was practically boring in every way. The near dozen songs—which were all utterly forgettable the moment the music stopped—and some of the acting made for a long droning mess of a production. It was one of the few movies I've been to over the last several years where I was looking at my watch through many of the scenes hoping the next one would get to ending that was being foreshadowed heavily through every act. I get that a sequel to one of Hollywood's classic films is hard to pull off 50 years later, but the whole plot felt like a paint-by-numbers routine attempting to rekindle some of the 60's era magic. I had heard that Disney was using cutting edge technology in CGI for this film, but it didn't feel ground-breaking or original. In fact, my oldest said she thought they were just trying to use the same effects used in the original but it just looked comical in the execution.

I would recommend waiting for this one to hit Redbox or Netflix.

On the other hand, my wife took our oldest to see Bumblebee this afternoon and they both said it was outstanding. My wife isn't a big fan of Transformers, but my daughter wanted her to go see it, so it must have been good if she came back all smiles (and apparently the 80's soundtrack helped with her enjoyment for the film).

SwissArmyFrog

Saw “Mary Poppins Returns” the other night.

Wasn’t as good as the original, but thought it was a very well done, very well cast effort. We all enjoyed it very much.

It was fun seeing the original Jane Banks in a small cameo, and the appearance of Dick Van Dyke near the end was marvelous.