• The KillerFrogs

2019 Recruiting Thread

I completely understand your perspective. I have no idea of your experience in athletics, and I am in no way saying that you're wrong, but in my own experience, the big fish/little pond comparison is very relevant. I've been coaching at the middle school level for over a decade now, and I've seen this happen as kids move on to high school and even followed my students' progress on on to college. There are kids that dominate across every sport in middle school. After two years of praise and attention at school, and sometimes from their outside school activities as well, they begin to believe their own press.

Then, when they get to high school with all the stud athletes from the OTHER middle schools that feed in, they are no longer the best. Some learn to fight and work hard, while others fade back because now they can't dominate like they used to. They dont know how to really push themselves, because it's always been easy for them, and it only gets harder from there.

I firmly believe that is one of the reasons CGMFP has been so successful with the 2-3 star kids in the past. They are hungrier than the higher ranked kids. They play with that famous Patterson chip on their shoulder because they know what it's like to struggle for their spot.

I would rather take a kid who has had to fight his way up through the ranks and learned to struggle than a natural athlete that has dominated solely on his natural gifts.

Of course there are the unicorns of sports, those kids that have the natural gifts AND know how to out-work everyone around them. There are over a million kids in high school football, but by the time they reach the next level, and the one after that, it has been whittled down to thirty-two 53-man rosters. From over a million to just under 1,700. Those aren't the big fish in a little pond, those are more like sharks in a pond.
If your point is that it is harder to dominate against good competition, then you're obviously correct. I would rather find players who are great natural athletes AND who are willing to work. The lower ranked players that have been successful were not successful because they weren't good athletes who had to struggle, they were successful because they were better than others projected them to be, worked hard, and were put in position to succeed. Some kids it wouldn't matter how hard they work; no one is going to be successful at P5 football without some baseline level of ability to go with the work.

netty2424

So does Hurts make his decision after their loss tonight?
tenor.gif

CryptoMiner

Prototypical safety out of Georgia with plenty of offers and good grades in the classroom

Treron Collins 6-2/190 from Fairburn, GA Langston Hughes offers include Louisville, Miss, NC State, Kansas St, NC, Tenn, West Virginia and many others. Been quiet about recruiting and at one time had a top ten that has long been deleted. TCU interested but has not offered yet.

FrogCoach84

I have kids that go to a small private school and the athletics are a joke. There are guys that look like superstars on our team that wouldn’t even sniff the field at a 5a school and wouldn’t make the team at a big 6a school. If someone at Duncanville or Highland Park looks like a man against boys that is really impressive because there are probably only 50 players in the country that could do that. If someone does it against an OL that averages 5’10” and 200 lbs, it isn’t as impressive because there are 5,000 kids that could do that.

Again, this guy may be an absolute stud, but you can’t know from watching him play against oompaloompas.
Every 5A isn’t Highland Park or Aledo. Every 6A isn’t Duncanville.

There is a lot of REALLY bad football played across all levels. DFW private schools routinely beat 4A-6A public schools...many times convincingly.

That’s what makes evaluating HS players so difficult. The guys that are clear cut blue chip guys are easy to spot no matter where they are. But as you get further down the list trying to compare players across different states, classifications, etc. is a tough task.

FrogCop19

If your point is that it is harder to dominate against good competition, then you're obviously correct. I would rather find players who are great natural athletes AND who are willing to work. The lower ranked players that have been successful were not successful because they weren't good athletes who had to struggle, they were successful because they were better than others projected them to be, worked hard, and were put in position to succeed. Some kids it wouldn't matter how hard they work; no one is going to be successful at P5 football without some baseline level of ability to go with the work.

So if you look back at my post, you'll see you are arguing the exact same position I was. Consider the bolded part above, and then consider that I stated that some of those 1) good athletes (better than projected) 2) "learn to work hard, while others fold" (worked hard) and 3) CGMFP has been successful with those kids because he gets them to "play with that famous Patterson chip on their shoulders" (put in a position to succeed).

We also agree that we both know there are kids with natural talent AND the drive to work hard, and we prefer to get those kids.

I will concede that you said evaluation of their potential is an essential part of the process, which is something I missed, for sure.

As for your first sentence, that is actually NOT my point. My point was that a lot of kids that dominated at HS levels dont make it in P5 programs because they're not as good as they think they are, and dont have the work ethic to achieve their full potential. I don't know if this kid is one of those kids, but then again that's why I'm a middle school coach and not a talent scout for a P5 university...

CryptoMiner

another offer to the guy who plays against oompaloompas

After a great talk with @CoachChinander I’m blessed to say I’ve received an offer from Nebraska! #Huskers #GBR