• The KillerFrogs

Ok, that is complete BS comment while watching CW Bowl

mc1502

I'm sure it is tough for him, especially with how his backup is struggling. Even if he feels he made the right decision, they're still his teammates and I'm sure he wants to see them do well.

But he doesn't feel quite bad enough to play the last game with the team mates that made it possible for him to make bank in the future.

I have zero empathy for a guy that leaves his team hanging

HFrog1999

Fascinating point here.

I died in the middle of writing the post....

wpugdbg.gif

Bizarro Frog

This is a very odd situation to draw a line in the sand on. It’s not a playoff game. I am sure he wants his team to win as much as the next guy but come on and see the big picture. Unless he has a monstrous disability policy then it’s his choice. If a junior leaves early has basically has chosen to sit out 12+ games. Should he be a pariah? Is a college bowl game worth giving up security for your family or the rest of your life? Live to play another day.

HFrog1999

This is a very odd situation to draw a line in the sand on. It’s not a playoff game. I am sure he wants his team to win as much as the next guy but come on and see the big picture. Unless he has a monstrous disability policy then it’s his choice. If a junior leaves early has basically has chosen to sit out 12+ games. Should he be a pariah? Is a college bowl game worth giving up security for your family or the rest of your life? Live to play another day.

This is one of the reasons why I don’t like the “playoff”. It further diminishes the rest of the Bowl Games. This is a Bowl between 2 ranked teams from major conferences. That used to matter.

BABYFACE

This thread was not started for whether he should sit or not sit out the bowl. My issue is that the TV play by play guy should not be telling to feel sympathy for the guy watching from home. That was Grier’s choice.

Again, this thread was not about whether he should have sat or not.

Last edited:

FrogSweep

Lemme think. School gives full-ride scholarship & perks for four years. Player endears school, teammates, coaches, and fans to him for good performances. And just when all aforementioned need him most for bowl revenue, bowl attendance, team prestige, the last game for some, and the most important game of the year, he turns his back on all of them. I defer to Judge Judy on this one.

Mean Purple

having played on a team, I don't buy that he is miserable. Not after he left them high and dry. when you commit to a team, you see it through.

if the guy was about anybody but himself, he would not have pulled the stuff he did at florida.

Deep Purple

I bet it is pretty damn tough. That guy loves his coach, and teammates, and school. I’m sure he’d love to be playing with his teammates one last time.

But he also experienced late last year how easy it is sustain a fluke injury. And he has more than just himself to look out for. He has a wife and a little girl to support and provide for. One could argue that him deciding to sit out was a very selfless decision versus a selfish one like you are all but implying he made.
I understand and agree with his decision not to play for the sake of his NFL career, but calling it "selfless" is pure blather. "I'm going to selflessly preserve myself for a 7-figure annual paycheck"??

giphy.gif

Yes, he has a wife and child to provide for. Tens of millions of men manage to do that very well without a 7-figure annual income.

Absolutely nothing wrong with pulling down that kind of bankroll if you can get it. But you certainly don't need it to support a wife and little girl, and it's definitely not some kind of selfless, sacrificial act.

Wog68

Lemme think. School gives full-ride scholarship & perks for four years. Player endears school, teammates, coaches, and fans to him for good performances. And just when all aforementioned need him most for bowl revenue, bowl attendance, team prestige, the last game for some, and the most important game of the year, he turns his back on all of them. I defer to Judge Judy on this one.
Where would the Frogs be today if The Mule had decided to sit out the Cheez-it Bowl?

TAINTed frog

Stupid azz commentary from play by play guy about Will Grier choosing to sit out the bowl game. I am not going to get into whether it is right or not to sit out a bowl game. My frickin issue is the ESPN play by play guy saying how hard it is and how much it must hurt for Grier to sit and home and watch his team play. Seriously?

Again, I am not here to discuss if sitting out a bowl game is justified or not. Just don’t ask me to feel sorry for or have sympathy for a guy that chose to sit out.
And how did that make you feel?

Frog-in-law1995

I understand and agree with his decision not to play for the sake of his NFL career, but calling it "selfless" is pure blather. "I'm going to selflessly preserve myself for a 7-figure annual paycheck"??

giphy.gif

Yes, he has a wife and child to provide for. Tens of millions of men manage to do that very well without a 7-figure annual income.

Absolutely nothing wrong with pulling down that kind of bankroll if you can get it. But you certainly don't need it to support a wife and little girl, and it's definitely not some kind of selfless, sacrificial act.

Maniac is saying that foregoing a bowl game you really want to play in (and perhaps enduring a media/fan/teammate bashing in the process) in order to ensure a financially secure future for your family that would be at risk if you played could be considered a selfless act.

I believe it’s a little far-fetched to think that’s Grier’s motivation, though.

Last edited:

MN Frog

You just won a $5 million Powerball on Saturday night and you have the ticket with you. Your buddies want to continue to drink and celebrate all night until you're drunk. Do you:

A) risk it by drinking all night and potentially lose the ticket?
B) go home and put the ticket in a safe?

froginmn

You just won a $5 million Powerball on Saturday night and you have the ticket with you. Your buddies want to continue to drink and celebrate all night until you're drunk. Do you:

Good comparison. Cuz those are exactly the same thing.

Actually, he could have bought an insurance policy, which would have at least been similar to "putting it in a safe".

Those guys are the ones who helped him earn that money, and who worked along side him for several years.

Why not just quit after his first contract in the NFL, at which point he'll have more than enough money to take care of his family?

Paradoxotaur

Did your buddies help you buy the ticket?

MN Frog

Good comparison. Cuz those are exactly the same thing.

Actually, he could have bought an insurance policy, which would have at least been similar to "putting it in a safe".

Those guys are the ones who helped him earn that money, and who worked along side him for several years.

Why not just quit after his first contract in the NFL, at which point he'll have more than enough money to take care of his family?

I didnt say they were exactly the same thing. Soooo which option are you choosing?