• The KillerFrogs

2018 Cheez-it Bowl Game Thread

sentcu

Far as I’m concerned I got about 10 laughs out of that game that were harder than any comedy I’ve seen this year, so in that regard it was great. That game should not be treated as anything else than a 4 hour absurdist comedy routine, all serious treatments of it will result in more hysterical laughter.

OmniscienceFrog

Got stuck in San Antonio, could get a flight out, then spent most of my afternoon and evening stuck on 35, finally got home an hour ago to a mess the dogs made in the living room, water broken upstairs, but was able to see another come from behind bowl victory and I couldn't be happier.
With a day like that I'm surprised you didn't get home in time to watch that whole thing.

Mean Purple

Don't start bad mouthing Cohen, he was well away from the play, the ref was in a bad position and there should have been a warning before the penalty was given. And besides, WE WON!
My only complaint is that he did not throw an elbow. After the refs refused to call holding by Cal at epic levels, and not calling the cheap shot or the Cal db repeatedly throwing a towel to the tcu backfield hoping to trip up the runner, I'd say the ref deserved it.

ThisIsOurTime

Very happy to win and looking forward to the next season. And yet, Cumbie and GP need to learn from this game.

1. You need to abandon pass/run balance when only one is working. Stubbornly adhering to a philosophy when the game situation dictates otherwise is hubris. Had we keyed on the run game as he should have, we win this game by the middle of the 4th quarter.

2. GP is way too risk averse to be making go for it or when to kick decisions. He needs to abdicate these decisions to someone else. Maybe not Cumbie but someone else. It hurts us more than it helps because his defensive tendencies means he will take less risks and whenever he has any degree of fear, he will go extremely conservative and create situations like the first field goal attempt that was missed. How we managed that series of plays was as much the coach's fault as it was Bunce for the missed field goal attempt.

3. What in the world is GP thinking yelling at our kicker right before he kicks a field goal? If he can't control his emotions, he should not be yelling at any offensive players in key situations. Also, how there was any confusion on who would kick in the first place is another sign of a coaching failure. There should have been no confusion whatsoever on that.

4. Why didn't we see the emergence of a #2 receiver? This has been an issue all season long and Cumbie was still giving several more weeks of practice to help find someone to offset Reagor. Yet, we could not develop him. Maybe you can place some blame on Muelstein but really a lot of that has to fall on the receivers and Cumbie. We can't let that happen again because it just means if Reagor were to get hurt, we suddenly have no passing game.

5. TCU probably needs to look at taking an extra RB on scholly going forward. We were way too thin this season and without Sewo we lose this game and maybe the last one as well. With coaching philosophies and other coaching errors, we must assume that we will again need to rely on RBs at some point or another. Best way to combat that is to recruit an extra RB. Of course, this year might be more extreme because we lost Turpin mid season and Kenedy Snell.

I'm sure there is more but most of these are things that need to get improved upon if we are to become a championship team.