• The KillerFrogs

Glad we weren't in the First Responder Bowl today

BABYFACE

They were talking refunds on the news, if that's the case I hope the cancellation doesn't cause the bowl to fold.
giphy.gif

Eight

this might have something to do with the decision

5c23d169744403c28b00004b.png

i am sure the dallas city council is thrilled they decided to pay espn $300,000 to help subsidize the cost of the bowl.

curious if the agreement had provisions written into them as to what happens to that payment if the game is cancelled for any reason.

Realtorfrog

This bowl has struggled for several years...... obviously a new title sponsor didn’t help with attendance. I wouldn’t be surprised if some type of insurance was bought but then again whe would think a game would be cancelled. I hope it wasn’t a one year sponsorship

YA

This bowl should shut down. As realtorfrog said it has never had good attendence.

The city of Dallas wasted taxpayers money putting something along the lines of $80 million into the recent upgrades.

Metropolis777

Why would ESPN care if it was re-scheduled? They miss out on the programming content with it being cancelled anyway.
https://awfulannouncing.com/espn/espn-first-responder-bowl-cancelled-weather.html

In a way, ESPN’s overall involvement with the game had to have made it easier to cancel outright. The network has already made its sponsorship money on this particular game. And any losses will be offset by the solid ratings and revenue generated by the other 13 bowl games they’re overseeing. They couldn’t really play the game later because that space on their networks is already spoken for, and the extra costs incurred by keeping everyone in town an extra day or two wouldn’t have been worth the payoff. Bowl games are a bundled deal for ESPN and this one wasn’t particularly important enough to mess with that. Besides, whatever revenue they miss out on here will be more than made up for in their College Football Playoff ad buys.