• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Tough decision upcoming for elite TCU lineman: Leave early for NFL or return for senior season

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Tough decision upcoming for elite TCU lineman: Leave early for NFL or return for senior season?

BY DREW DAVISON

SCOTTSDALE, ARIZ.

TCU right tackle Lucas Niang is weighing his options about possibly turning professional after Wednesday’s Cheez-It Bowl, or returning to school for his senior season.

“I’m not sure,” Niang said about returning to TCU next season. “I haven’t made a decision yet, but I’ll decide after the game.

“The goal [is to play in the NFL], but I’m not in a rush. I think highly of myself and I would like to go pretty high. If that’s not the case, I’m coming right back.”

Read more at https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article223528435.html

Limp Lizard

Depending on when he would be drafted makes all of the difference. Remember when Tommy Blake didn’t go pro when he was likely a first round pick?
One weird instance versus a ton of flops(his mental illness might have been caught even if he had declared early). Versus many, many careers in the NFL for those who waited. Also a lot of people who scream first round then quickly change their story when they declare. Unless they are really, really good, going early is stupid, unless you come from schools like Alabama and get the benefit of the doubt.

Chico Dusty

Guess he wants to join the long list of TCU players who left early and made it big in the NFL, such as.....such as...such as....NOBODY!

Niang’s future of making it the NFL has nothing to do with the other Frogs that left early. The only thing they have in common is they played college at TCU. That didn’t factor in why they didn’t flourish in the league. They didn’t make in the NFL because of personal ability and performance.

Chico Dusty

I’m not sure I buy that a year of “working on his hands” in college would have done a damn thing for his long term NFL prospects.

Yeah I was talking with a NFL receivers coach 2 weeks ago, who also was a receiver in the NFL for years. He basically said you can either catch or you can’t catch.

LisaLT

Niang needs another year in college imo. He would not be a very high draft pick at this point. He needs more experience. He was also part of a weak OL effort this season so that doesn’t help.

Moose Stuff

Niang needs another year in college imo. He would not be a very high draft pick at this point. He needs more experience. He was also part of a weak OL effort this season so that doesn’t help.

I hope he comes back, but I wouldn’t say he “needs” another year of experience. IMO..... all things considered if the NFL deems a guy as good enough then I will never fault a guy for leaving early. Get your money while you can.

Eight

I’m not sure I buy that a year of “working on his hands” in college would have done a damn thing for his long term NFL prospects.

the extra year could help in regard to his maturity and understanding the small things he needs to do to become a contributing nfl player.

the biggest challenge you hear for nfl players is all the freedom, all the time, now have money, and limited time working with coaching staffs especially during the off-season.

4th. down

Believe he will be advised to stay at school. 2nd. team all Big 12 but next year will or should be, 1st. team which should get him drafted in the 2nd. round.

2016 Draft, Ronnie Stanley (no.6) in draft and 1st. offensive lineman, $13mil signing bonus. After the 2nd. round the $$ fall dramatically. If Lucas stays he has a legit shot of going in the 2nd. and a long shot for 1st. Either way, a good payday.

Punter1

If Lucas was a 4th yr junior I would be worried. But leaving after 3 years as an OL usually doesnt work out well. I bet he comes back and goes from a 4th/5th round pick to a 2nd round pick.

Ask Connor Williams...who left after 3 highly successful years at UT and has struggled all season for the Cowboys. OLs need that 4th year to get stronger and more mature physically...

Last edited: