• The KillerFrogs

2019 Recruiting Thread

Moose Stuff

You can argue that the 2010 undefeated Rose Bowl team got lucky with Dalton but Dalton didn’t win those games alone. It is legitimate to argue that team played a lower level of competition but what about 2014? This was our best team ever - should have been in playoff and killed in the Peach Bowl. That season was against Big 12 competition. The last several seasons we have had higher rated classes but I would argue our program has not necessarily progressed with those players. Recruiting is super important but the recruit rankings are a bit of a crapshoot.

The teams that are playing at the end have very highly rated classes. Highly rated classes do not equate to titles, but titles have not been won without them. Someone (perhaps us) will break through eventually, but it will not be even remotely sustainable in the absence of very good recruiting classes year after year after year.....

BABYFACE

You made a solid effort over there (though I didn’t entirely agree with you). That place can be a beat down.
I had to cancel the card (stolen wallet)that my account at 247 was charging to. I didn’t update my new payment info until about 4 months later(this past month). I had a lot of other things going on then and right now.

Back to the point; I remember in the past, some posters at 247 remarked at how they stay off KFC because of the drama. Well, I was surprised at all drama that there is now over there and now how tame KFC is in this department. I love reading and following JC but there are handful of posters over at 247 that make it unenjoyable on how they dominate the conversation with their negativity.

Moose Stuff

I had to cancel the card (stolen wallet)that my account at 247 was charging to. I didn’t update my new payment info until about 4 months later(this past month). I had a lot of other things going on then and right now.

Back to the point; I remember in the past, some posters at 247 remarked at how they stay off KFC because of the drama. Well, I was surprised at all drama that there is now over there and now how tame KFC is in this department. I love reading and following JC but there are handful of posters over at 247 that make it unenjoyable on how they dominate the conversation with their negativity.

I don’t think it’s the drama some of them were avoiding. It’s the difference of opinions from their own and the inability to deal with it.

Dogfrog

The teams that are playing at the end have very highly rated classes. Highly rated classes do not equate to titles, but titles have not been won without them. Someone (perhaps us) will break through eventually, but it will not be even remotely sustainable in the absence of very good recruiting classes year after year after year.....

Can’t argue with this, but for me some perspective is in order. We have a long way to go before we consistently compete with Bama and Clemson for recruits. In the meantime, we have only once had a team that was playoff quality - 2014. Our recruit ranking by 247 for the 5 years prior to that season was 47, 28, 29, 35, and 43. I want us to have a high recruit ranking but I’m just not going to freak out about it until we prove we can do it.

Salfrog

Tier 1
Did anyone really not think the way the team played this year wasn't going to have an affect on this years recruits? This is another reason GP needs/should make some changes to the staff. He needs solid assistants that actually can coach their position and that are great recruiters & closers. Some assistants on staff have become dead weight and are stale.

On the flipside of all of this. Never believe anything an 17/18 yo says.

CountryFrog

Can’t argue with this, but for me some perspective is in order. We have a long way to go before we consistently compete with Bama and Clemson for recruits. In the meantime, we have only once had a team that was playoff quality - 2014. Our recruit ranking by 247 for the 5 years prior to that season was 47, 28, 29, 35, and 43. I want us to have a high recruit ranking but I’m just not going to freak out about it until we prove we can do it.
Yea, and what some people are talking about here is basically the difference between us having the 33rd ranked class or the 27th ranked class. I clearly don't get it.

tetonfrog

FWIW..... the first crystal ball for Coker to UT is in over at 247.

Forgive me if I don't lose sleep over this.

He won't be the first recruit we lose to the Whorns and he won't be the last. At the same time, I thought he loved TCU and GP. If his trainer and his parents want him in Austin, then that is where he will go. Period. Next recruit/man up.

The key to next year will be how well our returning OL play and how they develop over the offseason. It would suck to lose Coker, but I still have faith in Thomsen. We have a great track record of placing OL in the NFL and if he doesn't want to be a part of that chain, then so be it.Best of luck to him and I hope our DTs kick his butt the next four years if he chooses to go to UT.

MTfrog5

Forgive me if I don't lose sleep over this.

He won't be the first recruit we lose to the Whorns and he won't be the last. At the same time, I thought he loved TCU and GP. If his trainer and his parents want him in Austin, then that is where he will go. Period. Next recruit/man up.

The key to next year will be how well our returning OL play and how they develop over the offseason. It would suck to lose Coker, but I still have faith in Thomsen. We have a great track record of placing OL in the NFL and if he doesn't want to be a part of that chain, then so be it.Best of luck to him and I hope our DTs kick his butt the next four years if he chooses to go to UT.
Trainer and dad. Not parents

Eight

so does anyone really know the name of his trainer?

the only name i saw was the one crypto posted who was a guy who ran a recruiting service in dallas.

TX_Krötenechse

Yea, and what some people are talking about here is basically the difference between us having the 33rd ranked class or the 27th ranked class. I clearly don't get it.
If he were a wide receiver or a DB it wouldn’t really be that big a deal. The issue is that most of our problems for the past three seasons can be blamed at least partially on OL play, and to combat this we need a pipeline of talented linemen going through. Losing Coker doesn’t hurt us at all next season, and maybe not in 2020, but it hurts us down the road when the guys we have today graduate and we don’t have talent ready to replace them. And Coker has the potential to be a major impact player for us - he’s a great talent that is underrated by the recruiting services.