• The KillerFrogs

8-team Playoff

Zubaz

And to be clear, Pitt lost FIVE games going in to the CCG. They have now lost 6. Basically, they're us if don't fumble at the last second against Kansas, but then somehow got to the Big 12 title game and lost. As @Wexahu notes, the odds of them beating Clemson would have been pretty slim, but I still can't get behind a system that even opens that window.

Wexahu

so we are back to talking about what might happen instead of how things actually have played out each and every year?

Yes, you have to account for what might happen when decisions about this kind of stuff are made. Because what might happen eventually will happen.

Eight

He is saying that if you had automatic qualifiers for P5 champions and Pitt beat Clemson, they'd both make it, and he's probably right. Which would suck. Hell, you might have conferences fixing games to get two teams in.

again the fear of what might happen......how do some of you get out of bed.

pitt got smoked by 42, i am getting so tired that the only counter people have is what MIGHT HAPPEN. even in insurance which is a product sold in the event something MIGHT HAPPEN you have to use real numbers and data to create the product.

seed the playoffs so the top 4 host home games in the first round and semi's. some keep complaining the it will devalue the regular season when that is already the case in the current model and winning your conference guarantees nothing.

do you really think clemson would pass up a chance to host that game to get a rival conference school in the play-offs?

Eight

Yes, you have to account for what might happen when decisions about this kind of stuff are made. Because what might happen eventually will happen.

like you might eventually stop trotting out this tired line of logic.

i would much rather have a 4 or 5 loss team "slip" in than continue this [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] fraud show perpetrated by espn and the committee for 2 months of the year.

Eight

And to be clear, Pitt lost FIVE games going in to the CCG. They have now lost 6. Basically, they're us if don't fumble at the last second against Kansas, but then somehow got to the Big 12 title game and lost. As @Wexahu notes, the odds of them beating Clemson would have been pretty slim, but I still can't get behind a system that even opens that window.

but you can accept a system that provides no defined or tangible basis for selection?

that is merely an opinion of a group who have a very real interest in who is selected?

Wexahu

again the fear of what might happen......how do some of you get out of bed.

pitt got smoked by 42, i am getting so tired that the only counter people have is what MIGHT HAPPEN. even in insurance which is a product sold in the event something MIGHT HAPPEN you have to use real numbers and data to create the product.

seed the playoffs so the top 4 host home games in the first round and semi's. some keep complaining the it will devalue the regular season when that is already the case in the current model and winning your conference guarantees nothing.

do you really think clemson would pass up a chance to host that game to get a rival conference school in the play-offs?

We just disagree on this, that is fine. But people account for things that "might" happen all the time, every day. If the people who are trying to organize a College Football Playoff don't account for all the things that could happen, they aren't doing it right. Because if they don't, eventually they are going to get a result that makes them look pretty dumb.

Spike

No, some people have different preferences and opinions.

Just because you want a playoff, doesn’t mean I’m going to insult you.

I prefer the old Bowl System, when Bowl games were special and fun to attend.

The Cheesy Bowl is special to me and I will be there because it is my team. There are probably 10 other bowls out there that meet that criteria. Many of the bowls are only relevant to the fan bases of the participants. I doubt that the average college football fan is that interested in to 6-6 teams duking it out, unless they are bored on a Wednesday night.

That said I see the concern (sort of) over fan burnout) granted I couldn't travel to 3 post season games in same year I wouldn't want the system to go away. If we go 8 or to me 16 maybe let the first round be a home game for the highest seeds. It's kind of like baseball. You travel for the conference tournament, possibly for the regionals, supers, and ultimately Omaha. While there is always crying over who got left out, seeding, and matchups, by the time you get to Omaha and especially crown a champ, there is little doubt those teams earned it.

Spike

I will disagree with the group and say that the highest ranked non power 5 team should be in. Where the controversy would be is do you take Pitt after beating Clemson or UCF who hasn't lost in forever. After being left out all of those years I want to see everyone have a chance. Even if that "chance" is playing in Tuscaloosa or Death Valley and getting your brains beaten in, it's a chance to prove it on the field.

Mean Purple

who are the powers that be in college football?

in college basketball the ncaa calls the shots on the ncaa play-offs and i have found it curious no conference has challenged the ncaa's control over basketball in a similar fashion to ou and uga filing that lawsuit decades ago.

the other conferences? the networks? or would be finally see a formation of a distinct organization of just the p5 schools?

ESPN.

The CFP is tied at the hip with them.
When they announced the CFP idea, folks wisely pointed out that the metrics used would not be consistent or reliable and that the whole thing smelled of protecting big brands. They were right. Certain teams can have a loss, certain teams can't. Certain teams can't be jumped when they have won at the end, certain teams can. "our preferred team won it all, so that must mean that the team we worked to keep out would have never won, even though they scorched a team that beat our big brand." "Don't like it, don't lose a game, but don't expect us to use that logic on our big brand darlings."

The defenders of the CFP tie into tired old circuitous reasoning and come off looking like Martin Short's Nathan Thurm character.

Spike

Fresno State baseball 2008 National Champs.

Wexahu

like you might eventually stop trotting out this tired line of logic.

i would much rather have a 4 or 5 loss team "slip" in than continue this [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] fraud show perpetrated by espn and the committee for 2 months of the year.

IMO a 4 or 5 loss team making an 8-team playoff by virtue of winning some convoluted division tiebreaker and playing in the far easier division within their conference, and then pulling off one upset....and making the playoffs over a 10-2 team that has proven over the course of the season to be a far better team.....would be a bigger fraud.

And you'll say that 4 or 5 loss team hasn't even done that, so why worry about it? Then why even play the CCG?

Wexahu

Fresno State baseball 2008 National Champs.

Again, baseball is FAR different from football when it comes to Cinderella stories. Alabama hasn't lost to an unranked team in like a decade or something. The National Champion is baseball might lose 15-20 games in a season and several 3-game series.

Spike

Again, baseball is FAR different from football when it comes to Cinderella stories. Alabama hasn't lost to an unranked team in like a decade or something. The National Champion is baseball might lose 15-20 games in a season and several 3-game series.

How long did it take for a 16 seed to beat a #1 in basketball?

Bama and Clemson are on another level.

Bama plays 1 team with a pulse on a neutral site to open the season, 3 bodybags, and several weaklings from the other SEC division. Not sure that they really get tested that much by the mid level competition. I'm not saying that they don't get tested by Auburn, LSU and 1 or 2 others.

My point is to give teams a chance and let it be played out on the field. Cut out a few regular season games if needed. If Bama and Clemson still win it every year I'm ok with that, but do it on the field, not by a popularity contest.

Wexahu

How long did it take for a 16 seed to beat a #1 in basketball?

Bama and Clemson are on another level.

Bama plays 1 team with a pulse on a neutral site to open the season, 3 bodybags, and several weaklings from the other SEC division. Not sure that they really get tested that much by the mid level competition. I'm not saying that they don't get tested by Auburn, LSU and 1 or 2 others.

My point is to give teams a chance and let it be played out on the field. Cut out a few regular season games if needed. If Bama and Clemson still win it every year I'm ok with that, but do it on the field, not by a popularity contest.

Almost nobody would be willing to reduce regular season games. I for one wouldn't want TCU to give up a game every year in order to very slightly increase the chances of making the playoffs in some given year in the future.

The reason it seems like Alabama doesn't get tested much is because they are so good. They play in what is widely considered the best division in college football and almost always play one good OOC team every year, which is more than a lot of teams can say. And they play two SEC East teams, not several, and not all SEC East teams are bad. Granted, the two FCS games are a joke, but do you really think they'd be more tested if they played a Big 12 schedule? Who would beat them? Who would test them?

Spike

Almost nobody would be willing to reduce regular season games. I for one wouldn't want TCU to give up a game every year in order to very slightly increase the chances of making the playoffs in some given year in the future.

The reason it seems like Alabama doesn't get tested much is because they are so good. They play in what is widely considered the best division in college football and almost always play one good OOC team every year, which is more than a lot of teams can say. And they play two SEC East teams, not several, and not all SEC East teams are bad. Granted, the two FCS games are a joke, but do you really think they'd be more tested if they played a Big 12 schedule? Who would beat them? Who would test them?

I would gladly give up the Southern, Jackson State, or whatever random body bag as we have been on the cusp of being top 8 several times last few years. Those games should be played in August in a format similar to a HS scrimmage. Tickets should be $5 and they don't count in the standings. Heck I would give up SMU for a shot at the playoffs.

The issue is not whether anyone can beat Bama. (I have 7 Bama grads in my family, so Roll Tide BTW) The idea is to get people a chance. I would rather see a 21 point win in a meaningful game than another 50 or 60 point win in September.

Eight

IMO a 4 or 5 loss team making an 8-team playoff by virtue of winning some convoluted division tiebreaker and playing in the far easier division within their conference, and then pulling off one upset....and making the playoffs over a 10-2 team that has proven over the course of the season to be a far better team.....would be a bigger fraud.

And you'll say that 4 or 5 loss team hasn't even done that, so why worry about it? Then why even play the CCG?

again, you are worried about what might and every engineer i know who spends their waking hours pondering [ What the heck? ] MIGHT GO WRONG with whatever system they are working on deal with knowns and in the end will tell you there are no absolutes.

additionally, why the past doesn't guarantee the results of the future the one truth is every single level of college football with the exception of the one controlled by the networks has had for years a true play-off system that somehow functions perfectly well and i challenge every of the " might happen" crowd to find me a team that did not "deserve" to win a national title that won a title at whatever level.

Eight

this tired crap again?

how is it possible that athletes at 1AA, D2,D3, NAIA have been able to handle this load of games, even played through their finals, and you somehow think the load would be too great for the athletes at the top who have more resources available to them, more more spent on them, than i would gather every other level of college football combine.

you are trotting the same stuff out again and again and we have history, actual proof that somehow players at schools such as sam houston state and austin college for example have been able to handle the workload.

hell, we even hired a head coach who had teams to through a true playoff system.

so that is two straw men down, what next?

LSU Game Attendee

If a conference likes its clown divisions, that's on the conference.