• The KillerFrogs

8-team Playoff

Eight

I'd be fine if there were some sort of circuit breaker in the rankings, like Top 15 or 25 or whatever. I don't think unranked Pitt should get a shot at the NCG if they happened to beat Clemson this year.

that is up to the individual conferences to solve this problem,

as pointed out by wex there would be no need for the current big 12 to play the championship game.

Horned Toad

that is up to the individual conferences to solve this problem,

as pointed out by wex there would be no need for the current big 12 to play the championship game.
Unless the powers that be made a conference championship game mandatory, then the Big 12 would need to expand. Then we could quit beating everyone up with in conference play because we finally expanded and split into divisions like the other 4 P5 conferences.

Eight

Unless the powers that be made a conference championship game mandatory, then the Big 12 would need to expand. Then we could quit beating everyone up with in conference play because we finally expanded and split into divisions like the other 4 P5 conferences.

who are the powers that be in college football?

in college basketball the ncaa calls the shots on the ncaa play-offs and i have found it curious no conference has challenged the ncaa's control over basketball in a similar fashion to ou and uga filing that lawsuit decades ago.

the other conferences? the networks? or would be finally see a formation of a distinct organization of just the p5 schools?

Dogfrog

I'd be fine if there were some sort of circuit breaker in the rankings, like Top 15 or 25 or whatever. I don't think unranked Pitt should get a shot at the NCG if they happened to beat Clemson this year.

Just have to disagree. I think Pitt would have earned their way by beating undefeated Clemson. This kind of Cinderella team would create so much national energy around these games rather than the current annointed few despite what happens on the field. Rankings would never trump on field results if I were czar, which is why college basketball playoff is so great. You go 12-0 and play 8-4 in the ccg or playoff? You better bring it or go home and watch on TV.

Last edited:

Limey Frog

I don't know whether we're serving all of our people now, when you have some leagues—our league (the Big Ten) as an example," he said. "Two years in a row, we don't have anyone represented. The Big 12's been the same way. The Pac-12's been the same way.

These jerks would never have career if the Big XII were left out ten years in a row. That's why I was rooting for Ohio to be left out. Good news all around here. This changes Big XII viable, imo.

Horned Toad

who are the powers that be in college football?

in college basketball the ncaa calls the shots on the ncaa play-offs and i have found it curious no conference has challenged the ncaa's control over basketball in a similar fashion to ou and uga filing that lawsuit decades ago.

the other conferences? the networks? or would be finally see a formation of a distinct organization of just the p5 schools?
The P5 Commissioners, the P5 Presldents, and the networks will decide who will be the players if the playoffs expand.

HFrog1999

So now we are bitching about paying for games to attend if TCU was invited to a 8 team playoff?

Jeez, some of you guys are a beating.

No, some people have different preferences and opinions.

Just because you want a playoff, doesn’t mean I’m going to insult you.

I prefer the old Bowl System, when Bowl games were special and fun to attend.

stbrab

No, some people have different preferences and opinions.

Just because you want a playoff, doesn’t mean I’m going to insult you.

I prefer the old Bowl System, when Bowl games were special and fun to attend.
Nothing wrong with your opinion. I don't personally agree. It never made sense to me that major college football chose its champion based on polls. It was the only major sport that didn't determine its champion on the field. Then it marginally improved in the 90s with the BCS...at least two teams got to play for a championship. Now the four team playoff at least allows four teams to decide it on the field, but its an invitational...too exclusive. An eight team playoff, in my opinion, is the perfect size. It may still have elements of an invitational, but at least there are eight teams that get the opportunity. If its handled correctly, maybe all FBS teams have a shot, albeit slight. Currently, at least half of FBS teams know they have no shot at a title. Will the bowls suffer? Yes, probably.

bronco

Just have to disagree. I think Pitt would have earned their way by beating undefeated Clemson. This kind of Cinderella team would create so much national energy around these games rather than the current annointed few despite what happens on the field. Rankings would never trump on field results if I were czar, which is why college basketball playoff is so great. You go 12-0 and play 8-4 in the ccg or playoff? You better bring it or go home and watch on TV.
In an 8 team playoff Clemson and Pitt probably both get in.

HG73

i-see-whatyou-did-there-also-over-here-14136092.png
My fourth grade teacher was like this, only she had different colored eyes. One blue and one brown. Walleyed. When you thought she was looking at you she was really looking somewhere else. And vice versa.

HFrog1999

My fourth grade teacher was like this, only she had different colored eyes. One blue and one brown. Walleyed. When you thought she was looking at you she was really looking somewhere else. And vice versa.

Congratulations for passing the 4th grade.

I would’ve been so confused, I would’ve failed

RL1U.gif

HG73

Congratulations for passing the 4th grade.

I would’ve been so confused, I would’ve failed

RL1U.gif
It's to her advantage, you couldn't get away with anything because you couldn't tell if she was looking at you or not. Honestly she was a great teacher, as almost all of mine were.

Wexahu

Respectfully disagree. Football is a different animal than basketball, in basketball the likelihood of a Cinderella team advancing far into the playoffs is so much greater just due to the nature of the game. A basketball team can have a super hot shooting night and knock off about anyone but the odds of a 4-loss team like Pitt winning three games in a row against the likes of Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State and Oklahoma, etc etc etc is virtually astronomical. The much more likely result of a team like Pitt in the playoffs is the 1st round playoff game they are in will be over by halftime and a complete bore....and it would be a game that creates much less energy than a game where the outcome would be much less in doubt. Seriously, if we're going down this 8-team road with automatic P5 champion qualifiers and G5 qualifiers, how often is that first round game between the #1 and #8 seed going to be anything more than a formality? If they go to 8, pick the 8 just like they do now. And if Pitt wants to be a playoff team, don't lose four games.

I just think people want to compare basketball to football and there is really no comparison.

Zubaz

either bad at comedy or i have no idea where you are going with this line of thinking
I think bronco means that if Pitt beat Clemson, then Pitt would get the auto-bid while 12-1 Clemson would have almost assuredly taken one of the two at-large spots.

Eight

Respectfully disagree. Football is a different animal than basketball, in basketball the likelihood of a Cinderella team advancing far into the playoffs is so much greater just due to the nature of the game. A basketball team can have a super hot shooting night and knock off about anyone but the odds of a 4-loss team like Pitt winning three games in a row against the likes of Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State and Oklahoma, etc etc etc is virtually astronomical. The much more likely result of a team like Pitt in the playoffs is the 1st round playoff game they are in will be over by halftime and a complete bore....and it would be a game that creates much less energy than a game where the outcome would be much less in doubt. Seriously, if we're going down this 8-team road with automatic P5 champion qualifiers and G5 qualifiers, how often is that first round game between the #1 and #8 seed going to be anything more than a formality? If they go to 8, pick the 8 just like they do now. And if Pitt wants to be a playoff team, don't lose four games.

I just think people want to compare basketball to football and there is really no comparison.

i'm confused, are we talking about this year or is this a hypothetical again?

pitt went 7-6 this year unless one of you is this guy

tumblr_mjvww8Da3J1r0ic0mo1_500.gif

Eight

I think bronco means that if Pitt beat Clemson, then Pitt would get the auto-bid while 12-1 Clemson would have almost assuredly taken one of the two at-large spots.

so we are back to talking about what might happen instead of how things actually have played out each and every year?

Wexahu

either bad at comedy or i have no idea where you are going with this line of thinking

He is saying that if you had automatic qualifiers for P5 champions and Pitt beat Clemson, they'd both make it, and he's probably right. Which would suck. Hell, you might have conferences fixing games to get two teams in.