• The KillerFrogs

Shawn Robinson tranferring

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I suppose a more accurate statement would be that no one seems to be concerned he’s leaving and have made comments effectively writing him off as a bust. As if he couldn’t improve.

And of course we knew there would be a QB battle with Robinson, Duggan and Rogers at some point.. Just didn’t think it would be over before it began, which you alluded to.

Funny, I remember most everyone was looking forward to him being the starter, with an entire off-season to prepare. What we got was considerably less than imagined, and blame was heaped on Cumbie, not SR. The thing most dismaying was the lack of progress and complete lack of improvement week-to-week. Again, Cumbie was dragged out to be thrashed some more. Then, there was injury.

There was no consensus at all as to the blameworthy party. Hell, considering the state of the whole offense, Cumbie hissownself is pretty much the flaming pinata, but at least that improved at the end of the season. Robinson, in hindsight, was clearly not the player we had all thought he could be. The "Curse of Potential" hung on him thickly, given the starzies and expectations. He didn't pan out. That he is evidently unwilling to try and improve at TCU and seeks opportunity elsewhere is sad; we had hoped for better. But, alas...

y2kFrog

I’m starting to think you’re invested in him not coming back. No one has a bigger black cloud over this rehab than you. What gives?

EDIT looks like others are noticing as well.

I watched him enough during pregame warm ups to know, saying he may have to hang up his cleats is WAY over the top. I can understand the staff bringing him along slowly considering how serious his injury, but he was running the second unit during the Oklahoma St. game pregame. I took that as if something happened to Muehlstein, JR is up next on deck.

lonestarfrog89

Funny, I remember most everyone was looking forward to him being the starter, with an entire off-season to prepare. What we got was considerably less than imagined, and blame was heaped on Cumbie, not SR. The thing most dismaying was the lack of progress and complete lack of improvement week-to-week. Again, Cumbie was dragged out to be thrashed some more. Then, there was injury.

There was no consensus at all as to the blameworthy party. Hell, considering the state of the whole offense, Cumbie hissownself is pretty much the flaming pinata, but at least that improved at the end of the season. Robinson, in hindsight, was clearly not the player we had all thought he could be. The "Curse of Potential" hung on him thickly, given the starzies and expectations. He didn't pan out. That he is evidently unwilling to try and improve at TCU and seeks opportunity elsewhere is sad; we had hoped for better. But, alas...

Clearly not the player we had all thought he could be?

Isn’t it way too early to make that call? When I watched Andy Dalton play his freshman year, I held my breath every time he threw the ball. Boykin was unrefined when he first started, hell, he almost switched positions. How can we really surmise that SR wasn’t going to pan out? Not that it matters anymore if the rumors are true, just hard to sit here and say that he isn’t the player we thought he’d be when we saw him for half a season in his first year under center for us.

AroundWorldFrog

Not sure what this is, but SR never faced anywhere near the hate Kenny Hill faced. Maybe 10%. The writer(s) act like TCU fans tarred and feathered him. Drop in the bucket compared to 2016.

From my perspective, I saw a fanbase that was beyond thrilled when he signed with TCU and everyone had hopes he would be a superstar. The blame for his performance has been equally heaped on Cumbie, the OL and SR. Not sure I've seen much of what is "hate" but in today's world where the need for safe places trumps a thick skin, I guess it's called hate.smh

https://frogswire.com/2018/12/10/shawn-robinson-thank-u-next/

FrogLifeYo

I decided to look at this when comparing P5 vs P5 with Shawn and Collins. Shawn played better teams, but he also had more players around him than Collins last two games. Regardless, I think you can give Shawn a slight curve here. Both guys played 4 full games against P5 teams this year and it's below:

Shawn
Comp %: 62%
Yards Per Game: 244
Total TDs: 5 (5 passing 0 Rushing)
Turnovers: 10 (7 INTS, 3 Lost Fumbles)
Rush YPG: 29.5
Rush YPA: 3.2

Collins
Comp %: 58%
Yards Per Game: 235
Total TDs: 7 (5 passing 2 Rushing)
Turnovers: 2 (2 INTS, 0 Lost Fumbles)
Rush YPG: 20.5
Rush YPA: 2.3

Overall, neither player was really dynamic this year but Shawn had 2 turnovers for every TD. That is just really bad and there is no way to deny it. Collins didn't light the world on fire either but he protected the ball much better and just appeared to be in better control out there.

All that said, I am bummed to see him go especially if it ended on bad terms. Seemed well-spoken and a good ambassador for TCU Football. I was probably too hard on him this year as the deficiencies on offense weren't the fault of one player--even the QB. If he stuck around I figured he would have had a good shot to start next year.

Thanks for putting this together. Really good info. I’d be interested to see each guys 3rd down efficiency, the teams TOP under both, who got better support in the run game, and how many sacks they were victims of..

The reality is that we stunk it up under both guys. Deep down I have a feeling if The turnover statistic was flopped and SR had only 2 We likely are a 9 win football team instead of 6. I don’t think we’d say the same with MC at the helm the whole way.

hometown frog

So let’s compare three sets of stats.
SRs 5 games as a FR and 7 as a Soph;
Boykin’s 12 games as a FR; and
Dalton’s 13 as a FR (1 extra game than the other 2)

136/230; 1510 yards; 12TDs/8INTs; 124.5 QBR
(add 72 rushes for 389 yards and 3 TDs)

167/292; 2054 yards; 15TDs/10INTs; 126.4 QBR
(add 127 rushes for 417 yards and 3 TDs)

222/371; 2459 yards; 10TDs/11INTs; 118.5 QBR
(Add 98 rushes for 232 yards and 5 TDs)

Those stats are not all that different from one another when you get down to it. So I think folks on here saying he just never seemed to get it and never will must be forgetting the last two freshmen QBs we had at TCU.

FrogLifeYo

Those stats are not all that different from one another when you get down to it. So I think folks on here saying he just never seemed to get it and never will must be forgetting the last two freshmen QBs we had at TCU.
I wonder what Kenny’s first year would look like..I think we’ve generally done an absolutely horrible job of transitioning QBs over the years..

McFroggin

I’m starting to think you’re invested in him not coming back. No one has a bigger black cloud over this rehab than you. What gives?

EDIT looks like others are noticing as well.

Just a lack of reading comprehension.

I hope that JR heals and is prepared to start. That would be fantastic as he has real potential. With his injury, we have to prepare as if he won’t play. 2 other scholly QB’s is not enough. We need a transfer.

Frozen Frog

Good luck to him. I think he saw the depth at the position was getting a little crowded. I respect players who transfer now rather at the end of spring or during the season. I am also wondering if the offense is headed for some changes where Robinson doesn't fit it anymore. I thought I heard that the DeSoto coach was leaving. Could Shawn Robinson be joining him at a different school?

netty2424

Just a lack of reading comprehension.

I hope that JR heals and is prepared to start. That would be fantastic as he has real potential. With his injury, we have to prepare as if he won’t play. 2 other scholly QB’s is not enough. We need a transfer.
No you’re just determined to prove to everyone his drop foot will be career ending. Unless you are his family, close friend, part of his medical staff, or part of the program, then you’re just speculating. Feel free to let us know which one of those you are?

Not trying to be a jerk here, but you really have made it a point to target his injury and possible career implications. I’m just curious at this point what exactly do you know? Have his doctors told him he’ll most likely never play again because of the drop foot?

McFroggin

Agreed. I think SR has done fine for our typical young QB’s. He probably develops well. Surprised he is moving on so quickly being the clear front runner.

McFroggin

I think the main issue is that he WASN’T the clear front runner.

An injured SR was playing over Collins this year. I didn’t see anything from Collins to make me believe that SR wouldn’t be a likely starter post recovery. Is there any P5 school with a more likely chance to start day 1?