• The KillerFrogs

Shawn Robinson tranferring

Farmfrog

I'll preface this by saying all of the obligatory "like the kid" "he's a good Frog", etc. Not trying to disparage him.

I guess I just don't see what everyone else does in MC as a starting QB. He had one good quarter against a terrible defense that gave up 40 points to Kansas, lost to Kansas, scored 14 points and beat K-State on a missed XP, then he was the QB for the biggest loss of the Patterson era. That's not all on him, obviously, but...some of it kinda has to be, right? Obviously the turnover margin improvement when he came in was HUGE but....as a clear #1 going in to next year? Not sure I see that.

That post sums up my feelings very well.

smufrogger

This has echoes of Casey printers all over it. Unhappy about offense not being totally made for him and struggling- thry think it’s the school not them.
I wish him luck but historically these transfers rarely benefit the kid.

MTfrog5

I was always under the impression JR was more of a true passer that could run some, but didn’t rely on it. Is that wrong? Seems like the foot issue while bad, would be less impactful if that’s the case.
Yes he did not like being considered a dual threat if I remember correctly when he came out of high school

tetonfrog

Unless your last name is Robinson I’m pretty comfortable saying that you have no clue if this is actually true (and neither do the rest of us). You telling me she takes that job and Shawn follows her if Desoto had a bad team? No chance in hell. Her career moves may well have been 110% above board but if you think for one second that Shawn wasn’t jumping from program to program because he perceived that each stop was better than the previous then you’re kidding yourself.

If this is true - and I have no idea if it is - why do yo have a problem with it? Coaches and athletes move all the time. I used to be a sports writer in Denton (when there were only two high schools) and spoke with coaches at multiple high schools who moved every year for all sorts of reasons.

Moving to help your son succeed on the field is not new and it is not limited to the Robinsons (I am not related nor I do I know them). I remember my first editor in Denison moved his family to a small town in Nebraska so his son's talents could be showcased in golf. It helped get him a scholly to a small school in Indiana. Do you look down on them, too?

smufrogger

shawn is no longer a 4-start recruit, he is a sophomore quarterback with 7 career starts who is transferring after a rough season and shoulder surgery.

yes, he has talents, but those talents aren't unique and won't guarantee playing time. any major program he transfers to will have other 4-STAR RECRUITS. any program he goes to will continue to recruit players at that postion.

there comes a point when you no longer get hired because of the school you attended, but instead on what you have done in your work history.

shawn is halfway through his college career and he and whomever is advising him need to sit down and ask themselves serious questions about why it did not work out at tcu to the point he felt compelled to transfer. not blaming him or giving tcu a pass, but this isn't as simple as looking at depth charts and counting on his talent to shine through.
Teams are going to be wary of his mental aspects - and his turnover stats. He’ll find teams to play for but he starting anywhere is not guaranteed

tcudoc

I remember my first editor in Denison moved his family to a small town in Nebraska so his son's talents could be showcased in golf. It helped get him a scholly to a small school in Indiana. Do you look down on them, too?
giphy.gif

Eight

If this is true - and I have no idea if it is - why do yo have a problem with it? Coaches and athletes move all the time. I used to be a sports writer in Denton (when there were only two high schools) and spoke with coaches at multiple high schools who moved every year for all sorts of reasons.

Moving to help your son succeed on the field is not new and it is not limited to the Robinsons (I am not related nor I do I know them). I remember my first editor in Denison moved his family to a small town in Nebraska so his son's talents could be showcased in golf. It helped get him a scholly to a small school in Indiana. Do you look down on them, too?

wait, wait, wait.....he moved to NEBRASKA to have his son's talent's showcased in golf?

Mean Purple

I do not know how many players we need to have decommit/ transfer, how many more stats about our offensive inability we need to see, or what else needs to happen to realize there is a problem with retaining and catering to talent in this program. Just simply do not.
You sound fun.

McFroggin

I was always under the impression JR was more of a true passer that could run some, but didn’t rely on it. Is that wrong? Seems like the foot issue while bad, would be less impactful if that’s the case.

Doesn’t matter much. Foot drop is a legit problem. Even pocket passers need to move a bit. JR may have to hang up his cleats.

Sebastian S

I think Cumbie wanted and already knew Robinson was going to be his 2018 starter.

Why not? It's his first QB recruit in TCU and it would be sending a bad sign if he picked someone else, especially a transfer?

True or not, maybe it hurt his development.

Mean Purple

I love this idea, but are you tripping?

Even if our OL improves a ton, that means it is average when healthy. We have seen our paper thin OL go south after one injury the last two years. How is that going to change next year?

I just don’t understand the love for Collins.We were bad every game he started. I know it was not all his fault, but why were you impressed by him against KU, KSU, WV or early against BU?

If TCU is going to compete for a big 12 title, we need a playmaker at QB not a caretaker. The last 3 games against OU prove that. I hope Rogers is healthy next year or else we are going to have to play a true frosh next year at some point. That should scare you.
Our O-line played pretty dang well last year. which is impressive considering how injured they got.

Mean Purple

Not a fan of this at all and I think it is a big deal. I think Robinson was equal to 2013 Boykin. Lots of potential that hadn't been realized yet. Give him another offseason and spring and I think he could have had a good year.

No idea why so many here are so high on Collins. In the games Collins played he was never better than Robinson. Equal yes, better no. Robinson has a higher upside and more playmaking ability. Collins is a serviceable backup but I dont think he is a QB that can win the Big 12. Look at the QBs who have won the Big 12 lately. Boykin. Mayfield. Murray. Collin Klein.

I seriously thought Robinson was going to win the starting job in 2019 and have a breakout year.

I am guessing this means Hurts is coming in or that Rogers is further along than we think. I'd be really surprised if Duggan was a contender to start right away as good as he looks. GP is not one to start true freshman QBs.

?????