• The KillerFrogs

Kyler Murray signs with A's, will QB Sooners this fall

flyfishingfrog

Let's say he does get injured early. Or doesn't become the starter. Does he even stay on the team?
Probably - where is he going to go at that point in the fall - baseball is basically over

I think the main point was everyone else that has been drafted and not either currently or recently playing in Omaha is with their short season or maybe low A club by now

While he is missing this shortened development year in total - might not matter at all but I hear from a lot of the college guys that even go as juniors how old they already feel their first year with all the 17/18 year olds straight out of HS around

flyfishingfrog

Note that he doesn’t say the words “he’s done playing football”
can you imagine the ramifications of an athlete competing in one sport as an amateur in college while simultaneously being paid and having access to the salaries, facilities, trainers, nutrition programs, equipment of a professional athlete in another sport?

If he is allowed to continue to play football after showing up for spring training and playing baseball under a binding and ongoing contract - it will open up a can of worms that will never be able to be closed again. If you are a major state school with big dollar donors - why don't you just get those guys to start professional dodge ball teams with rosters full of school athletes and pay them thousands or even millions, provide them all the support and benefits of a professional athlete, etc

It is one thing when a pro athlete that never went to college originally quits that sport and then goes to University- it is quite another to allow them to be an professional athlete at the same time as they are playing college sports.

Moose Stuff

can you imagine the ramifications of an athlete competing in one sport as an amateur in college while simultaneously being paid and having access to the salaries, facilities, trainers, nutrition programs, equipment of a professional athlete in another sport?

If he is allowed to continue to play football after showing up for spring training and playing baseball under a binding and ongoing contract - it will open up a can of worms that will never be able to be closed again. If you are a major state school with big dollar donors - why don't you just get those guys to start professional dodge ball teams with rosters full of school athletes and pay them thousands or even millions, provide them all the support and benefits of a professional athlete, etc

It is one thing when a pro athlete that never went to college originally quits that sport and then goes to University- it is quite another to allow them to be an professional athlete at the same time as they are playing college sports.

Not the first time this has happened.

FBallFan123

Note that he doesn’t say the words “he’s done playing football”

Either way, I would assume his time at Oklahoma is done.

Seems likely he's either going to play baseball or he's entering the NFL draft.

Either way, the result would be the same for TCU.

What Boras is saying today is in line with what Murray said last week...

Zubaz

why don't you just get those guys to start professional dodge ball teams with rosters full of school athletes and pay them thousands or even millions, provide them all the support and benefits of a professional athlete, etc
For the same reason that you can't set them up at a car dealership or a 7-11 and pay them millions.

Moose Stuff

Either way, I would assume his time at Oklahoma is done.

Seems likely he's either going to play baseball or he's entering the NFL draft.

Either way, the result would be the same for TCU.

What Boras is saying today is in line with what Murray said last week...

That quote doesn’t say he’s for sure done either. I have no direct connection to the Murray family but there are plenty of people in the baseball industry who are far from convinced he’s done with football this year and that includes some who think that could even mean playing at OU again in 2019.

FBallFan123

That quote doesn’t say he’s for sure done either. I have no direct connection to the Murray family but there are plenty of people in the baseball industry who are far from convinced he’s done with football this year and that includes some who think that could even mean playing at OU again in 2019.

Being done with football and done with football at Oklahoma are two different things.

The contract with the A's is $4.6 million.

Realistically, he's either taking the MLB money or he's taking the NFL money next year.

Frog-in-law1995

Ricky Williams play minor league ball all four years he was at UT and nothing changed.

Eight

Ricky Williams play minor league ball all four years he was at UT and nothing changed.

cedric benson played minor league baseball as well and i am pretty sure kyler wouldn't be the only college football player/pro baseball player in his parents home

there are a number of college football players who have played minor league baseball.

sentcu

He has a better chance of playing baseball professionally than football unless he wants to change positions.
This was conventional wisdom around the time of the MLB Draft but it’s not valid anymore. He has proven that he has NFL skills and in the modern game it’s clear his physical limitations are not deal breakers. If he was all in on football, he’d be drafted with the expectation that he’d become that franchise’s QB.

Wexahu

I believe this to be 110% false

I personally don't think he'd be a good NFL QB. As good as he is in college, it's just a completely different ballgame there, and I think the threat of him running is what makes everything else work. That largely goes away in the NFL. He has a decent arm but relative to other NFL players its very average. And this is going to sound really dumb so I'm fully aware of that, but I think the bigger NFL ball would be a problem for him given how tiny he is.

Incredible college QB though.

BABYFACE

Being done with football and done with football at Oklahoma are two different things.

The contract with the A's is $4.6 million.

Realistically, he's either taking the MLB money or he's taking the NFL money next year.

Smart man takes the baseball money. Typically longer career in baseball and the opinion of some is that he has a higher ceiling in baseball. If that is truly the case, time to get the leather dirty.