• The KillerFrogs

2019 Recruiting Thread

FrogLifeYo

It’s not complicated. If you’re a really good WR, you get open, they throw the ball to you, and you catch it. Like Jalen Reagor does.

This seems true on paper only...Reagor appears like our only good WR because he’s the only guy we consistently throw to...Just like Doctson before him, we are a single read passing game. We call a passing play and either throw it there or take a sack..Proof is how many screens,fades, and vertical sideline routs we throw. Take those out of the mix and we literally have less than 5 other rout passes a game. While we may be weak at other WR positions, we really don’t give any other WRs a chance to grow cause they get maybe 1 or 2 looks a game. We find one WR in the spring/fall camp and ride him to death...Pretty good reason we aren’t that effective offensively and we are pretty easy to defend. If I was a stud WR there is no way I would come to TCU..We are a spread that doesn’t want to spread it...

Moose Stuff

This seems true on paper only...Reagor appears like our only good WR because he’s the only guy we consistently throw to...Just like Doctson before him, we are a single read passing game. We call a passing play and either throw it there or take a sack..Proof is how many screens,fades, and vertical sideline routs we throw. Take those out of the mix and we literally have less than 5 other rout passes a game. While we may be weak at other WR positions, we really don’t give any other WRs a chance to grow cause they get maybe 1 or 2 looks a game. We find one WR in the spring/fall camp and ride him to death...Pretty good reason we aren’t that effective offensively and we are pretty easy to defend. If I was a stud WR there is no way I would come to TCU..We are a spread that doesn’t want to spread it...

I don’t know a whole lot about football X’s and O’s but this makes some sense to me. Would be hard for me to argue against it for sure.

back_in_black

Moderators

Depends on the QB. Most don’t look off their first target. Reagor is the best player in the field and he should always be targeted more. We weren’t effective offensively this year because of the line. They gave very little time to throw this year and I’m certain the instruction was throw to Reagor and let him make something happen.

Ron Swanson

I think if we had two Jalen Reagor type talents, both of them would be getting plenty of opportunities in the passing game.

FrogLifeYo

Depends on the QB. Most don’t look off their first target. Reagor is the best player in the field and he should always be targeted more. We weren’t effective offensively this year because of the line. They gave very little time to throw this year and I’m certain the instruction was throw to Reagor and let him make something happen.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t target our best WR more than the others, what I’m saying is that balancing the field and developing targets opposite him are going to be the key to being better offensively. Your point about our OL is well taken and I think does play a role. However as I sited previously..this is not a new phenomenon under Cumbie...We locked on to one guy for years now..

FrogLifeYo

I’ll add that I love X and Os...What happens to us is similar to all teams that run 4 wr sets. Most Leach style rout trees are all quick single read throws. Contrast that will Okie St who runs their spread with 3 wR and a H- back...They tend to spread it around a lot more because they play vertical and that allows a QB to come off his first read...As put out as I am with Cumbie, it important to keep in mind that we don’t spread it around by design...Think about all those 1-2 WR punches Tech over the years....You can’t cause 1 guy gets all the big plays..

Moose Stuff

I’ll add that I love X and Os...What happens to us is similar to all teams that run 4 wr sets. Most Leach style rout trees are all quick single read throws. Contrast that will Okie St who runs their spread with 3 wR and a H- back...They tend to spread it around a lot more because they play vertical and that allows a QB to come off his first read...As put out as I am with Cumbie, it important to keep in mind that we don’t spread it around by design...Think about all those 1-2 WR punches Tech over the years....You can’t cause 1 guy gets all the big plays..

I don’t care if we have one WR that gets 20 catches a game and nobody else does [ Finebaum ]. Just make it work.

helcap

In 2014 Doctson had 65 receptions, he whose name will not be mentioned 41, Porter 39, Gray, 36, Slanina 32. That seems fairly well spread around to me.

Ron Swanson

I would hope so...But based on our system I’m not convinced they would
I think that during the Doctson and Reagor years, we had one guy who is head & shoulders better than the others, so he gets open more and earns the trust of the QB more and therefore gets the lion’s share of the targets.

Better players get more opportunities. I don’t think it’s a system design.

Chicken or the egg thing

froginmn

that looks worse

how-dare-you-sir.jpg