• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Drew Brees ‘begged’ to play at TCU, and they said no. He became the best QB from Texas

froginmn

Being real honest, going to a pass happy Purdue in those days was a better decision than going to TCU. Joe Tiller ran a crazy offense that suited Brees well. It was an early spread offense and very much an innovation - basketball on grass.

flyfishingfrog

I would argue he’s had five years to prove himself worthy of playing time, and he failed to pass people like Bram and Foster on the depth chart. Excellent is an overstatement, serviceable is a better word
Or maybe we have had coaches that have a problem understanding how and when performance in practice translates to games and when it doesn’t

Only Serviceable or not - Muehlstein did more in the first complete drive that he played than two of the guys he backed up did in every snap they ever took combined

Definitely not saying he should have been our starter but the last two weeks have shown he was more capable as our 3 than some of the 2s he has been behind

DickBumpastache

And was a backup or platoon player almost the entire time.

1. Not accurate, he started every game for the last 2 seasons of his career.

2. Even if that were remotely true, it has zero to do with how he was recruited. Nobody ‘missed’ on Brady, he went to one of the biggest programs in the country. It was a very dumb comparison.

froginmn

1. Not accurate, he started every game for the last 2 seasons of his career.

2. Even if that were remotely true, it has zero to do with how he was recruited. Nobody ‘missed’ on Brady, he went to one of the biggest programs in the country. It was a very dumb comparison.
I'll say it again.

He backed up Brian Griese for two years, then split time with Drew Henson quite a bit during the next two years.

Pharm Frog

As a Westlake alum (albeit a few years before Brees), the recruiting aspect of this article is all conjecture and not even close to being accurate in relation to TCU. Even Coach Long, who is a personal friend of mine, is quoted saying that’s not how he remembers it.

Much of this is revisionist history.

I’ve always rooted for Brees. Seems like a great guy. But the headline of this article seems a little misleading.

I’m glad someone from Westlake chimed in. One of my employees graduated with Drew’s class, was among his closest friends, and maintains a great relationship with his family. Unfortunately I did not ask her about this when we were together on Thursday afternoon and I should have since she was at Cowboys stadium with Drew’s father later that day and could have asked directly. But I spoke with her on Friday and she said she’s never heard of Drew having had any interest in TCU much less begged to get an offer.

back_in_black

Moderators
I’m glad someone from Westlake chimed in. One of my employees graduated with Drew’s class, was among his closest friends, and maintains a great relationship with his family. Unfortunately I did not ask her about this when we were together on Thursday afternoon and I should have since she was at Cowboys stadium with Drew’s father later that day and could have asked directly. But I spoke with her on Friday and she said she’s never heard of Drew having had any interest in TCU much less begged to get an offer.

I’ll chime in. I lived in Austin at the time. Before Brees started his sophomore year, an Alum named Adon Sitra (now deceased) asked me if I knew any of the coaches. He said someone from his family reached out to him and said Drew Brees wanted to transfer and play football and baseball. My mother worked at TCU at the time and she contacted one of the coaches who said Drew would have to initiate the conversation. Nothing happened beyond that. I didn’t read the article so I don’t know what was claimed but I do know there was at least some interest.

Pharm Frog

I’ll chime in. I lived in Austin at the time. Before Brees started his sophomore year, an Alum named Adon Sitra (now deceased) asked me if I knew any of the coaches. He said someone from his family reached out to him and said Drew Brees wanted to transfer and play football and baseball. My mother worked at TCU at the time and she contacted one of the coaches who said Drew would have to initiate the conversation. Nothing happened beyond that. I didn’t read the article so I don’t know what was claimed but I do know there was at least some interest.

After his sophomore year in college? I suppose that would be the only occasion to “transfer”. I, like you, did not read the article so was unaware that was when the alleged “begging” occurred.

Hemingway

After his sophomore year in college? I suppose that would be the only occasion to “transfer”. I, like you, did not read the article so was unaware that was when the alleged “begging” occurred.
He wanted to play baseball at tcu back then? That’s were that story lost me. Baseball wasn’t much here before Coach S. not a real selling point back then.

Pharm Frog

He wanted to play baseball at tcu back then? That’s were that story lost me. Baseball wasn’t much here before Coach S. not a real selling point back then.

The story loses me a bit relative to the timing. Arguably Brees’ best season at Purdue was his sophomore season. Not sure why he’d want to transfer out after having been handed the reins of that prolific offense and having had a fantastic season.

back_in_black

Moderators

It was the summer before his sophomore year. In fact I remember Adon saying he was already told he would be the starter. Made no sense to me at the time either. We were in a terrible place at the time.

Pharm Frog

It was the summer before his sophomore year. In fact I remember Adon saying he was already told he would be the starter. Made no sense to me at the time either. We were in a terrible place at the time.

Well his freshman season wasn’t all that good but he had been given the keys to that Purdue offense and he would have had to sit if he had transferred at that time.

DickBumpastache

I'll say it again.

He backed up Brian Griese for two years, then split time with Drew Henson quite a bit during the next two years.

So you’re conceding the fact that your point was irrelevant. Thanks.

However your point is also inaccurate, unless you believe that 4-year starters at QB are the only ones who aren’t ‘misses’. A majority of college QBs don’t get to start for 2 full seasons. You’ve also changed your position on splitting from ‘almost the entire time’ to ‘quite a bit’, which is subjective but still not truthful. Brady set multiple school records in his 1st season as a starter, which would be awfully difficult to do if he were splitting time ‘quite a bit’ as you claim.

Deep Purple

Not a fan of Big Steaming Pile's snarky style of writing, but I'm convinced that if he wrote a piece saying TCU football is nearly perfect in every way, many here would blast him for saying TCU football falls short of perfect.

Forever moving the goalpost....

moving-the-goal-posts_dilbert_9498.png

froginmn

So you’re conceding the fact that your point was irrelevant. Thanks.

However your point is also inaccurate, unless you believe that 4-year starters at QB are the only ones who aren’t ‘misses’. A majority of college QBs don’t get to start for 2 full seasons. You’ve also changed your position on splitting from ‘almost the entire time’ to ‘quite a bit’, which is subjective but still not truthful. Brady set multiple school records in his 1st season as a starter, which would be awfully difficult to do if he were splitting time ‘quite a bit’ as you claim.
Not sure why you're arguing this so much because I was basically agreeing with your point that people didn't really "miss" on Brady.

The reason they didn't miss is that Brady wasn't an outstanding college quarterback.

During his senior season, he and Henson alternated series and sometimes entire quarters.

Then, Brady was drafted in the sixth round. The reason is that he wasn't a great college quarterback. He developed significantly as a pro.

Edit: and for some reason you're saying my point that "he was a backup or platoon player almost the entire time" is inaccurate. He was a backup for two years, then battled Henson and alternated series a bunch during the next two years. That's my definition of almost the entire time.

Last edited: