• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Drew Brees ‘begged’ to play at TCU, and they said no. He became the best QB from Texas

Casey T

Oh come on.

The school at the time had Frank Windegger as AD, Bill Tucker as chancellor and Pat Sullivan as head football coach. It was a completely different time and set of circumstances.

The athletic program was terrible

But to slam Mac for disparaging TCU because it failed to offer Brees a scholarship is over the top

I read the title and knew it was a muck article. It is written as yet another shot at tcu, just like all his articles. What does this article accomplish? It makes TCU sound stupid, and that is why he wrote it. Calling him out on it is accurate

Limp Lizard

Lots of kids of begged to get into UT and were turned down and did great elsewhere. Not a big deal. However my opinion of Sullivan has never been high, so I don't mind bashing him. I remember Jim Reeves telling me at one of the evening FFF meetings at the Cyber Rodeo that his impression of Sullivan was he just wasn't very bright.

Wog68

I would argue he’s had five years to prove himself worthy of playing time, and he failed to pass people like Bram and Foster on the depth chart. Excellent is an overstatement, serviceable is a better word
Foster left and Bram was like 3 years ago. There is always the possibility that the coaching staff either missed on him or promises were made. Anyway, he has absolutely gotten the job done in a terrific fashion.

Baja Frog

Brees also called up Franchione and told him he wanted to transfer to TCU. Franchiones answer? "Nah we wouldn't have any interest". Casey Printers was our future........

texas_sicilian

Oh come on.

The school at the time had Frank Windegger as AD, Bill Tucker as chancellor and Pat Sullivan as head football coach. It was a completely different time and set of circumstances.

The athletic program was terrible

But to slam Mac for disparaging TCU because it failed to offer Brees a scholarship is over the top
Come on Wes, did you not see the subtle (but always ever present) jab thrown in the first sentence?

“or even TCU...”

Armadillo

As a Westlake alum (albeit a few years before Brees), the recruiting aspect of this article is all conjecture and not even close to being accurate in relation to TCU. Even Coach Long, who is a personal friend of mine, is quoted saying that’s not how he remembers it.

Much of this is revisionist history.

I’ve always rooted for Brees. Seems like a great guy. But the headline of this article seems a little misleading.

YA

I have heard the story before that Brees wanted to come to TCU and Sullivan said no--long before Muck did his thing

Just like Johnny Manziel and Baker Mayfield, Drew did want to come to TCU--but they all looked and we were not the only ones they tried to get into

westoverhillbilly

Brees' uncle (his mother's brother) was Marty Akins, an all SWC qb at UT who started in 73,74 & 75.. I imagine Brees wanted to go there first and then worked his way down the pecking order of DI teams.. He very well could have held on hoping for UT too long while we committed someone else- Derek Canine, Royce Huffman, Jr or one of the other guys at that time..

Eight

wes, you know we love you and we have your back on most thngs, but you are dead wrong on your stance on this one.

this is nothing more than old hearsay at best with only the words of a grumpy old alumni who hasn't written or said a positive thing about anyone in years.

what bothers me the most about this quite frankly is not the claim, but that this isn't news, this is [ Finebaum ] being thrown against the wall to stir up things and has nothing redeeming about it.

in regards to brees himself two thoughts. first, i don't believe sullivan stated brees was an option quarterback because quite frankly he wasn't an option quarterback in high school.

drew was a highly productive, pro-style quarterback who lead westlake to a state title where they beat the [ Finebaum ] out of abilene cooper. the guy threw for over 3,500 yards and 31 touchdowns as a senior and this was out of a two-back system and not in today's spread offenses.

the school that really missed on drew brees? simple, texas.

drew was a 2-year starter at THE high school in the austin area, a school where multiple texas football staff members and exes had children attending, he was 28-1 in his 2 year period, threw for over 5,500 yards in high school, and was a blood relation of a cotton bowl winning longhorn quarterback.

thing is that story doesnt paint tcu in a bad light and that is the only purpose i can find for a story that can not even be backed by the head coach who would have been actively involved in his star players recruiting process.

BABYFACE

Is there something Tiger hasn't done that had to be made up?
I don’t know what Jenkins wrote, but I was at Colonial when Tiger burned to the ground on the back 9 at Colonial in his rookie year on tour. He threw stuff and had several tantrums on the final 9 holes. The gallery let him have it when he became unhinged.

Tiger took his anger to the locker room afterwards and with the press corps. Dale Hansen ripped Woods later that night on the 10 pm news.

Remember discussing with a few buddies the next day that this was the first and last time we would ever see Woods at Colonial.

Last edited:

Frog-in-law1995

I don’t what Jenkins wrote, but I was at Colonial when Tiger burned to the ground on the back 9 at Colonial in his rookie year on tour. He threw stuff and had several tantrums on the final 9 holes. The gallery let him have it when he became unhinged.

Tiger took his anger to the locker room afterwards and with the press corps. Dale Hansen ripped Woods later that night on the 10 pm news.

Remember discussing with a few buddies the next day that this was the first and last time we would ever see Woods at Colonial.

The “We love you, Fuzzy” sign hanging from a balcony across the street from the clubhouse didn’t help either.