• The KillerFrogs

New playoff rankings....

Mean Purple

Big 12 SXM radio had Coach P on yesterday and brought up the one huge factor that nobody seems to want to mention at ESPN. TCU is the one common opponent of Ohio State and OU. GP, in the opinion of many who have heard the interview, while hinting that it would not be right for him to say, also hinted OU when he made a point to single out OU's "dynamic" offense in the discussion. More dynamic than what we faced last year.

This was all in addition to the majority of the interview which was really good coverage for TCU. Holly and her co-host kept pointing out how impressive it was for TCU to win 3 of the last 4 and get to a bowl game considering all the injuries, etc. The replay on Big 12 this morning was followed up by pointing out that it shows the blue collar way of the TCU team.

And yes, I am hijacking this thread to talk TCU. Not sorry.

(besides, the conversation should be ..."is the college football blue blood brand protection invitational committee willing to say it is ok to put in a team that systematically covered up spousal abuse?" :eek:

Zubaz

Didn't UCF beat Auburn last year, for their bowl? Didn't that same Auburn team beat Bama?

Oh that's right, all that did happen...
This UCF team has never beaten Auburn. If they did, they'd have at least a better argument for their inclusion.

Last year's
UCF team, with some different players, beat Auburn, but that's not particularly relevant to this year.

Horny4TCU

This UCF team has never beaten Auburn. If they did, they'd have at least a better argument for their inclusion.

Last year's
UCF team, with some different players, beat Auburn, but that's not particularly relevant to this year.

Yeah, that's right it did. Last year. You're an idiot.
Were we not in their same boat 8 years ago, and snubbed a chance at the title. Granted the Rose bowl was a great consolation prize... Why, as a TCU fan can you not see validity in a team that went 24-0 in the past 2 years, having a shot at the playoffs?

All the arguments about strength of schedule, was the same BS they pulled on us... Next thing you'll be say they don't deserve because of attendance.

Moose Stuff

Were we not in their same boat 8 years ago, and snubbed a chance at the title. Granted the Rose bowl was a great consolation prize... Why, as a TCU fan can you not see validity in a team that went 24-0 in the past 2 years, having a shot at the playoffs?

All the arguments about strength of schedule, was the same BS they pulled on us... Next thing you'll be say they don't deserve because of attendance.

I think they do deserve a shot. But under the current system they aren’t even close to one of the top 4 teams. It’s not even worth debating. They shouldn’t get in and they won’t.

Wexahu

We were "snubbed" at a chance for a National Title because a Pac 12 and SEC team were also undefeated and we were in the Mountain West. And at the time unfortunately only two teams played for the BCS Title. Pretty simple really. It wasn't a snubbing.

Horny4TCU

Last year's
Okay, Body of work...

UCF has beat:
Pitt - Who won the ACC Coastal division and is in the ACC Championship game
SMU - Beat them 48-20, Michigan, beat the same SMU team 45-20 and TCU 42-12
Temple - And Temple beat Mayland by 21 points. The same Maryland team that beat UT, and lost to tOSU by 1 point.

Not going to lie, their conference is trash. But so was the MW, when you look back, there were 3 teams, and a bunch of subpar teams... I can't knock them for winning, though.

Endless Purple

Last year's

This Florida State team has never won a national title. If they did, they'd have at least a better argument for their inclusion.

Last year's FSU team, with some different players, won a national title, but that's not particularly relevant to this year.

hmmmm, I forsee some inconsistencies in the committee's reasoning coming up

Pharm Frog

For those advocating for automatic inclusions for conference champions in an 8-team playoff....I hope Pitt beats Clemson, UGA beats Bama, UT beats OU, NW beats tOSU, and Utah over Washington. Just for good measure I hope UCF falls and Fresno beats Boise.

There’s lots of work to be done in determining conf champions.

netty2424

Just not sure why anybody cares anymore. That committee is never consistent in their reasoning. It's about doing whatever they can to put certain brand names in.

also.

In before Wex.
Makes it a lot easier to not give a ship when TCU isn't in the conversation, but what a sham this selection committee is. It’s a shame that a sport that’s so competitive and so popular is regulated by a farce of a committee.

Wexahu

For those advocating for automatic inclusions for conference champions in an 8-team playoff....I hope Pitt beats Clemson, UGA beats Bama, UT beats OU, NW beats tOSU, and Utah over Washington. Just for good measure I hope UCF falls and Fresno beats Boise.

At this point I'd prefer computers just picking the Top 8 and be done with it. No auto bids. According to Massey the Top 10 would currently be

1 Alabama
2 Clemson
3 Georgia
4 Notre Dame
5 Ohio State
6 Oklahoma
7 Michigan
8 UCF
9 LSU
10 Penn State

I guess that would make everyone happy. Three Big 10 teams and Three SEC teams in the Top 10 with one Big 12 & ACC and zero Pac 12. Yep, everyone would quit their bitching then.

CountryFrog

It’s far less a sham than how it used to be done. And unless every team is willing to give up a regular season game or two it’s probably about as good as we can get. I guess they could go to eight but you’ve still got to have at large selections that would presumably be made by people or people that program computers so you’re never gonna get a perfect system. College football has arguably never been more popular so something is working.
I do agree with that it's not as much of a sham as it used to be. Murder is less awful than triple murder but they still both lead to the death penalty.

CountryFrog

That's sports. Some games in sports mean more than others. If you don't win your conference title game against a Pitt type of team then it's no different to me from a 2 seed losing to a 15 seed in the first round of the NCAA tourney. I'm ok with it.

Realistically, though, massive upsets like that in conference championship games almost never happen in football. I like the chaos of it, though, and wouldn't mind seeing it.

Wexahu

That's sports. Some games in sports mean more than others. If you don't win your conference title game against a Pitt type of team then it's no different to me from a 2 seed losing to a 15 seed in the first round of the NCAA tourney. I'm ok with it.

Realistically, though, massive upsets like that in conference championship games almost never happen in football. I like the chaos of it, though, and wouldn't mind seeing it.

I get it, but the regular season would be gutted if everything came down to CCGs. One of the great things about college football (especially compared to basketball) is that every game that the highest ranked teams play is critical. Some of these teams would clinch spots in their CCGs with several weeks to go, rendering the rest of the their games kind of meaningless.

It's just really hard to come up with a college football system that 1) maintains the importance of the regular season schedule, 2) wouldn't require a reduction in the number of regular season games and 3) wouldn't require some sort of subjective human element in picking teams. In fact, it's almost impossible with 100+ teams that play only 12 games/year. Everything throws out the fact that Division II and III manage to make it work but they only play 10 games. I don't think many of the 100+ programs would be willing to give up two games (or even one game for that matter) to expand the playoffs another week or two.

Eight

I get it, but the regular season would be gutted if everything came down to CCGs. One of the great things about college football (especially compared to basketball) is that every game that the highest ranked teams play is critical. Some of these teams would clinch spots in their CCGs with several weeks to go, rendering the rest of the their games kind of meaningless.

It's just really hard to come up with a college football system that 1) maintains the importance of the regular season schedule, 2) wouldn't require a reduction in the number of regular season games and 3) wouldn't require some sort of subjective human element in picking teams. In fact, it's almost impossible with 100+ teams that play only 12 games/year. Everything throws out the fact that Division II and III manage to make it work but they only play 10 games. I don't think many of the 100+ programs would be willing to give up two games (or even one game for that matter) to expand the playoffs another week or two.

it is gutted already for a number of teams. in washington on family business and talking about the the cfp last night. number of dawgs and cougs said they realized over a month ago they were out of the running.

what we have been exposed to for over a month is fake drama when you really don't have strong conferences in certain cases but strong teams.

is the acc really that much stronger than the pac if you removed clemson?

is the big 12 really that much stronger than the pac if you removed ou?

as far as the lower levels you are wrong on the number of games played. check sam houston or acu and you find they played 11 games.

the game they don't play is a conference championship game, but that isn't required is it.

the difference is at that level the ncaa calls the shots on the play-offs and at the p5 level it is the conferences and in some cases some schools.

MAcFroggy

I think it is funny that so many TCU fans still think the committee is out to get us or that it is only there to help the big brands. Nearly every decision the committee has made has been pretty justifiable.

2017 - Non-sec champ Alabama over Ohio state. Ohio state had two losses (one by 30 points) compared to Alabama's one loss
2016 - Non-B1G champ Ohio State over Penn State. Penn State had two losses (one by 40 points).
2015 - no controversy
2014 - Ohio State over Baylor/TCU. This one pains me to talk about, but Ohio State was 12-1 compared to 11-1 for TCU and Baylor. Ohio State also had a better SoS than both Baylor and TCU. The biggest issue I have with this season was the penultimate rankings, not necessarily the final rankings.

LVH

UCF should get the nod over Notre Dame, doubt they will, but they should. They have a 24 game win streak. If being undefeated in a crap conference was good enough for FSU to get in back in 2014, then UCF should get in. Granted FSU was was reigning champs, still...

UCF hasn't beaten a single team in the latest Top 25.