• The KillerFrogs

Poll: Cumbie Not Calling Offense

Who was the OC for the OSU game?

• Sonny Cumbie

• Chris Thomsen

Results are only viewable after voting.

H0RNEDFR0G

I have an equally crazy theory:

Patterson had a chat with Matt Rhule and asked him what tendencies we showed on offense. Rhule told him that when we pull our guards that they linebackers key and shift, if we were to incorporate some misdirection we might get some big gains since we've not done it all year on tape. Patterson, in kind, gave Rhule some advice on how to defend Texas Tech.

tetonfrog

I have an equally crazy theory:

Patterson had a chat with Matt Rhule and asked him what tendencies we showed on offense. Rhule told him that when we pull our guards that they linebackers key and shift, if we were to incorporate some misdirection we might get some big gains since we've not done it all year on tape. Patterson, in kind, gave Rhule some advice on how to defend Texas Tech.

TCU and Baylor working together? Unbelievable!

FrogLifeYo

Thomsen isn’t calling plays but it isn’t a stretch to think he’s a big part of the game planning process. Cumbie would have to be an idiot not utilize the entire staff in crafting an attack

Horny4TCU

I demand to know who the 3 ignoramuses are that voted for CT. Assuming OP is one of them.
200w.webp

200.webp

LaxFrog3

Wait your telling me an offense can be different with a QB who doesn’t have much have college game experience prior to 2 weeks ago? Crazy

Paint It Purple

I have to agree, it wasn't the same offense. You could see Sonny in the pressbox calling down the plays but the real question to me was who tutored him during the week game planning? I cannot recall the TCU offensive line giving so many false keys on the running game and as a result, running lanes and even big holes opening up.

Offensively, something has happened in our game planning, and would look for Reagor to begin getting about 15 touches/game, not including kickoffs or punts. Against Baylor Reagor gets 6 touches for 127 yds. or 21 yds./touch. Against OSU, 13 touches for 213 yds. or 16 yds./touch.

So, it seems to me someone told Sonny, hey, get the ball to your no. 1 talent, repeatedly and take the pressure off your QB to win the game for you. I don't think it was Luper or Thomsen but someone who has offensive stature visited Sonny from the outside. Too big a change to come from the current staff in my opinion.
Best be a little careful with our most valuable offensive commodity at the moment. Reagor isn’t that big. He’s tough, but you could see the multiple roles wearing on him in both the Baylor game and the OSU game.

4th. down

Best be a little careful with our most valuable offensive commodity at the moment. Reagor isn’t that big. He’s tough, but you could see the multiple roles wearing on him in both the Baylor game and the OSU game.

This is true, but 15 touches/game shouldn't be too much. Believe he had 13 against OSU and he seemed to be holding up ok but I would relieve him of kickoffs and punt returns.

Brog

This is true, but 15 touches/game shouldn't be too much. Believe he had 13 against OSU and he seemed to be holding up ok but I would relieve him of kickoffs and punt returns.

Agree with this. Went to a TCU Cotton Bowl game a year or two ago when we were playing Mississippi, I think. Abe Martin told our quarterback (Chuck Curtis?), whatever he did, don't field and return the opening kickoff. Days when, strangely, the rules said the eleven players on the field at the kickoff had to be the players who played offense at first. Of course, Curtis fielded the opening kickoff, was injured on his return run and didn't play a down in the game. We lost 14-13.

FrogLifeYo

Multiple times the put him back there to field a punt with absolutely no intention of an actual return. I saw TCU players walking to the sidelines before a signal was even given. I mentioned it in the game thread. If we had zero intention of a return why put him out there. Surely someone else can cleanly field a punt

It was uncanny how much our offense sets with Reagor looked like Purdue’s offensive use of Rondale Moore and David Beaty use of Pooka Williams. I know someone had to have brought that to Sonny’s attention as it was to obvious. Both are similar in size to Reagor and both lineup all over the field including the backfield

PO Frog

Multiple times the put him back there to field a punt with absolutely no intention of an actual return. I saw TCU players walking to the sidelines before a signal was even given. I mentioned it in the game thread. If we had zero intention of a return why put him out there. Surely someone else can cleanly field a punt

It was uncanny how much our offense sets with Reagor looked like Purdue’s offensive use of Rondale Moore and David Beaty use of Pooka Williams. I know someone had to have brought that to Sonny’s attention as it was to obvious. Both are similar in size to Reagor and both lineup all over the field including the backfield
I have no problem putting him back there if it’s specifically to call a fair catch and catch it. What is the downside, presuming he’s the most
capable of catching them?

BleedNPurple

Mule is surprisingly fast - Reagor and Mule play off each other well. Glad we’re not running the 3 and out fumble fumble fumble offense.