• The KillerFrogs

TCU v. Lipscomb - Game Thread

Purp

I would say my concern from the last game is the same..... if Samuel gets in foul trouble or isn't playing well, who do we go to?

As far as last night, I will make a bet with anyone that Bane and Noi won't go a combine 3-15 (20%) from the field again. I feel pretty decently saying that will be Bane's worst game of the year... just a real bad game from him.
May see that a couple more times from Noi as he knocks off the rust and you may also see some tough nights from Bane as teams focus on his as our most dangerous threat. That said, I agree that a combined 3-15 from those guys isn't likely even taking all that into consideration.

A disturbing performance by an avowedly talented group of players. Throughout the game there seemed to be a

noticeable degree of confusion in both the offensive and defensive efforts. An anomaly??

Wexahu

Nembhard is basically 1/4 in solid play this year so far. Every now and then, he makes a play or a move or a pass and it’s clear to me he’s going to be really good. I think that guy has it. It’s just a little to fast for him right now. I think transitioning from a slasher/shooter to point has proved a bigger learning curve for him than anticipated. That said, he’s very athletic and skilled. I think he comes around late this year after he becomes more comfortable in his role, and is a different player next year. Exited for him despite what we’ve seen so far..

I think more than anything he needs to get stronger. He's athletic, but sometimes it looks like he's pretty easily pushed around and knocked off balance and out of control.

froginmn

And there it is. The guy who doesn’t participate in the game thread in any way, yet comes in after the game, or in this case next day, and tells everyone how irrational they are and [hundinnen ] that there’s no play by play. There are plenty of apps out there that provide play by play. Seems like a better fit for what you’re looking for. OR.....DVR the game if you can’t watch it live. Just a thought.

I don’t really see any cliff jumping, just typical comments about how they see it playing out right now. It wasn’t good last night.
Actually it's the guy who thinks a game thread might have information about what's happening in the game versus a bunch of comments like "crap", "we suck", and "that was terrible".

I guess I don't see much value in what game threads have apparently become.

YA

The shooters were tentative to shoot the ball and it made others hesitant to take a shot as well. Lots of second guessing going on and not enough instinct to shoot the ball until desperation time with 5 seconds on the shoot clock.

The whole game the arena felt like a morgue until we actually got within 1 point. Looks like the players couldn't wait to get some Thanksgiving cooking and were not focused.

It's just one game and a learning one at that, the team will be fine.

netty2424

Actually it's the guy who thinks a game thread might have information about what's happening in the game versus a bunch of comments like "crap", "we suck", and "that was terrible".

Fair enough. I bet Ryan, and Wes, and TXfrog1999 are taking applications.

netty2424

Lipscomb has a legit defense and team. I am disappointed, but Garrison Matthews, #24, had one of the best defensive / offensive performances I’ve seen in our arena, and I’m old. It’s not always just we suck.
Agree Matthews was fantastic. Very sound player. And quite frankly shut Bane down.

Eight

i haven't been to a game and only going by on what is seen on television, but for a program that supposedly had record sales for season tickets where the hell is everybody?

has there been more than 8 people behind the broadcast crew when they do the in game shoots of them?

CountryFrog

I think you're right on about Fisher creating a lot more opportunities for this offense, but I think we had the guy on the floor last night to do just this and we went to him too late. KD is a stud and he can get anywhere he wants on the floor at any time and gets a lot of easy looks under the bucket for himself. He can also create for others. The game finally tightened up when we went to him. He really started to take it over on his own. But it was too little about 2 minutes too late.

CJD has mentioned a lot that he likes running with 2 PGs on the floor. I'm beginning to think we may need to run about 5-8 minutes a game with 3 PGs on the floor while Bane gets a blow. Or maybe when we go small have 3 PGs with Bane on the floor. I just feel like Nembhard appears to be close to turning a corner, but it's not happening quickly enough and we're trying to force too much from him when we have a guy in KD who has proven he'll produce. The athleticism is clearly there, but it seems to be a confidence issue in his head and I'm thinking the more he plays without success the harder that mental block will be to overcome.

I'm also a little surprised we didn't see Kaden Archie at all last night. As we went deeper into the 2nd half and nothing seemed to be working I'd have kept going down the bench until I found someone to light a spark. The only 2 who seemed to make a difference all night were JD and KD. As small as Lipscomb was I was thinking JD at the 5 with Kaden at the 4 might have helped us defensively, especailly after our bigs got in big foul trouble.
You may be right about Davis. He seems like he's getting better every game and could become a big part of this team this season. That's going to be part of the growing pains with this team early on - trying to figure out which guys to go to in certain situations and which combinations work best in both ends.

Mayen is another guy who was hurt early and is working his way back but appears to be getting more comfortable. He has a nice looking stroke and if he can become a reliable shooter off the bench then that would be big for this team as well.

LVH

A disturbing performance by an avowedly talented group of players. Throughout the game there seemed to be a

noticeable degree of confusion in both the offensive and defensive efforts. An anomaly??

Lipscomb plays a style not quite as fast as Tubbs did, but close. Same concept - quick shots, lots of 3s, fast pace, attempting to go for steals/turnovers on defense instead of straight up defense. You beat them by beating the press and then exploiting them defensively in the half court. The problem is we did not do anything on offense to make them pay after the first 8 minutes of the game or so. We don't really see this style of play in Big 12 play so it definitely was something our players had to adjust to.

CountryFrog

i haven't been to a game and only going by on what is seen on television, but for a program that supposedly had record sales for season tickets where the hell is everybody?

has there been more than 8 people behind the broadcast crew when they do the in game shoots of them?
I was there and actually thought it was a really good crowd considering the opponent anda holiday week.

Every season, though, the real crowds don't show up until Big 12 play starts.

The basketball game moves so quickly that in game insightful analysis is pretty difficult. But your point has merit

LVH

Lipscomb head coach, Casey Alexander, show cased a lesson in basketball coaching techniques to the Froggies. This is Lipscomb now, not Kansas, but had they not gone 3/21 on 3 pointers, we lose at home by at least 20 to Lipscomb, who I had never even heard of before this game.

Backside cuts and baseline cuts, plus the jump hook in the paint, with smaller players was like a street fight against a knife while we had nothing - they cut us up via coaching and discipline. Hats off to coach Alexander to bring this team into our house and ranked in the top 20 and just whipped our ass.

Lipscomb returns all 5 starters from an NCAA tourney team that caught fire at the end of the year last year. They won twice at Florida Gulf Coast who was the heavy favorite to win the A-Sun last year, and destroyed them on their home floor leading 60-31 at half in the conference title game. They then gave North Carolina a good 20 minutes in the tourney before falling. I had this game circled on the calendar as a good November test. Reminds me a lot of that South Dakota State team that beat us easily in Trent Johnson's last year. That South Dakota State team ended up making the tourney as a 12 seed and lost in the last second to Maryland in the tourney.

North Carolina beat this team by 18 in the tourney. UNC actually turned the ball over at a higher rate than we did vs. Lipscomb, but shot at a 59% effective field goal percentage(ours was 50% last night) and held Lipscomb to a 41% effective field goal percentage(Lipscomb was 49% last night). UNC also rebounded 31.3% of their misses, we only rebounded 20% of our misses.

Eight

You may be right about Davis. He seems like he's getting better every game and could become a big part of this team this season. That's going to be part of the growing pains with this team early on - trying to figure out which guys to go to in certain situations and which combinations work best in both ends.

Mayen is another guy who was hurt early and is working his way back but appears to be getting more comfortable. He has a nice looking stroke and if he can become a reliable shooter off the bench then that would be big for this team as well.

davis is a guy with the cliche' "high basketball iq". the kid sees the game and understands what is happening and what needs to be done.

williams had this for the frogs and it is one reason he was such a damn good rebounder, and jaylen shows this. alex to me is great individual talent, noi and mayan are great individual talents, rj is a great individual athlete, samuel i think is starting to see where he fits and how he can impact games, and alok looks a bit lost.

bane is a tough one to me because at times he seems to read the game very well, other times looks passive, and last night really seemed to be forcing the game on the offensive end.

4th. down

davis is a guy with the cliche' "high basketball iq". the kid sees the game and understands what is happening and what needs to be done.

williams had this for the frogs and it is one reason he was such a damn good rebounder, and jaylen shows this. alex to me is great individual talent, noi and mayan are great individual talents, rj is a great individual athlete, samuel i think is starting to see where he fits and how he can impact games, and alok looks a bit lost.

bane is a tough one to me because at times he seems to read the game very well, other times looks passive, and last night really seemed to be forcing the game on the offensive end.

Here it is:

"davis is a guy with the cliche' "high basketball iq". the kid sees the game and understands what is happening and what needs to be done."

Davis was quoted post game how he scored so many points so fast and he said the points were on the floor, meaning don't shoot it, drive to the basket.
He's going to be a good one. Hard to get minutes with Alex and Fisher but he is fearless.

6Frog6

Lipscomb returns all 5 starters from an NCAA tourney team that caught fire at the end of the year last year. They won twice at Florida Gulf Coast who was the heavy favorite to win the A-Sun last year, and destroyed them on their home floor leading 60-31 at half in the conference title game. They then gave North Carolina a good 20 minutes in the tourney before falling. I had this game circled on the calendar as a good November test. Reminds me a lot of that South Dakota State team that beat us easily in Trent Johnson's last year. That South Dakota State team ended up making the tourney as a 12 seed and lost in the last second to Maryland in the tourney.

North Carolina beat this team by 18 in the tourney. UNC actually turned the ball over at a higher rate than we did vs. Lipscomb, but shot at a 59% effective field goal percentage(ours was 50% last night) and held Lipscomb to a 41% effective field goal percentage(Lipscomb was 49% last night). UNC also rebounded 31.3% of their misses, we only rebounded 20% of our misses.
And what were our free throw success vs theirs?