• The KillerFrogs

Game thread - TCU versus Fresno State

Dogfrog

Samuel looked good and will get much much better. One area to improve is holding on to the ball. His hands should get better / stronger.

TX_Krötenechse

Will probably be beneficial moving forward if we can get more than 2 points from our bench.
Well just remember that Nembhard and Robinson will be on the bench once Fisher and Noi are back and both of them can be very productive.

Overall I think we played a mediocre first half and a great second half. Team definitely has some fire. Love the attitude that JD brings even though I do wish he wouldn’t take many threes.

Still a little concerned about how badly we play against a press.

pgdaly84

Samuel is gonna be a beast. Vlad was a really good modern big man with a polished offensive game, great range, and could block a shot once in awhile, but he wasn’t much of a presence in the lane on D. Samuel is more of an old school center and really adds a dynamic we haven’t had since I’ve been around TCU. Really excited to see him develop.

MTfrog5

Samuel is gonna be a beast. Vlad was a really good modern big man with a polished offensive game, great range, and could block a shot once in awhile, but he wasn’t much of a presence in the lane on D. Samuel is more of an old school center and really adds a dynamic we haven’t had since I’ve been around TCU. Really excited to see him develop.
Samuel reminds me of a bigger version of Blair when he was at Pitt with Dixon. You can tell last year did great things for Samuel.

MTfrog5

Fisher supposedly soon. Noi...........???
Dixon said post game that both should be back soon. I’m curious what the lineup will be when they return. Obviously would think RJ will come off the bench, but I think we might see a lot of Robinson, Fisher, Bane, Miller, and Samuel. Noi and RJ first off the bench will make this a pretty deep team

jake102

Dixon said post game that both should be back soon. I’m curious what the lineup will be when they return. Obviously would think RJ will come off the bench, but I think we might see a lot of Robinson, Fisher, Bane, Miller, and Samuel. Noi and RJ first off the bench will make this a pretty deep team

We need to find some bench minutes for Bane... he's at 38 minutes/game right now. Need to get him closer to 35/36 IMO. He's our best player but need to keep him fresh for end of game. I'd also like to see him taking another 3-4 shots per game, even at the sacrifice of his shooting percentage (56% currently). I think he could be a 20-25 ppg guy while shooting in high 40%s and contend for Big 12 player of the year.

Would like to see a little more from Alok, thought there was a pretty big drop-off going from Samuel to Alok. Although Samuel looked realllly good last night, he's what I thought Shepherd would be (and probably would have been with Dixon as his coach for four years).

Miller is playing great IMO. Good defender, high energy, much smoother shooting motion. Dixon worked magic with Nembhard, he looks 10x better. If I'm honest, thought he was going to be an offseason transfer. Good defender, much smoother shooting motion.

We can stall up on offense in the half-court and settle for Robinson deep 2s, but overall I like the way we look. Lot to work with and should just get better with Fisher and Noi.

MAcFroggy

We need to find some bench minutes for Bane... he's at 38 minutes/game right now. Need to get him closer to 35/36 IMO. He's our best player but need to keep him fresh for end of game. I'd also like to see him taking another 3-4 shots per game, even at the sacrifice of his shooting percentage (56% currently). I think he could be a 20-25 ppg guy while shooting in high 40%s and contend for Big 12 player of the year.

Getting Fisher back soon (probably this weekend) will probably enable Dixon to give Bane some additional rest. I also think getting Noi back in the lineup will give him some additional rest as it allows for a lot more floor combinations. When things are clicking we have a good team, and I think getting our key players back will put us in great position to win a lot of games.

Eight

Would like to see a little more from Alok, thought there was a pretty big drop-off going from Samuel to Alok. Although Samuel looked realllly good last night, he's what I thought Shepherd would be (and probably would have been with Dixon as his coach for four years).

Miller is playing great IMO. Good defender, high energy, much smoother shooting motion. Dixon worked magic with Nembhard, he looks 10x better. If I'm honest, thought he was going to be an offseason transfer. Good defender, much smoother shooting motion.

We can stall up on offense in the half-court and settle for Robinson deep 2s, but overall I like the way we look. Lot to work with and should just get better with Fisher and Noi.

first half there were a few times the post had established good position inside and the feed didn't come. samuel does do a better job of presenting himself than alok and you really can see the work he has done the past year.

miller showed no only a nice stroke from behind the 3-pt line, but an improved mid range game. between his ability to pull a defender out and bane and robinson's ability to drive it presents a nice potential balance.

defensively bane and robinson allowed the drive far to easily and i think that is a bit of their nature.

MTfrog5

I had to watch this one on TV. The color guy thought Alex was confused as to whether JD wanted to continue to push the ball or pull up and run half court. Is that what it looked like to you?
Yeah I’d agree with that. Robinson was in the flow of the game and we had scored some easy baskets. It’s one thing to run a half court offense, but we were t really doing that until a pick and roll with less then ten left on the shot clock. With Fresno pressing and the style they played I thought we were a little timid trying too hard to slow the pace of the game down instead of taking advantage of creating some easy baskets. Imo if they are allowing you to still push the ball and get easy baskets, you still win the game by taking advantage of those.

Rose Bowl

Getting Noi and Fisher back will be huge. Those two are key players, our best along with Bane, and will be instrumental in making us better on the offensive end. We seem to be hesitant on offense, especially in the first half, and not really putting our foot on opponents throats when we have the opportunity.

In the early season the defense has been pretty good but the offense has been stagnant for periods of time. A large part of this is being so young and getting the kids accustomed to the college game.

There is plenty to like about this team but we need to be patient as the team will be playing much better in March than it is now.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
If the flashes we've shown in the first 4 minutes last night, or much of the second half, becomes our standard level of play... this team can win the B12. Big "if", but I am optimistic

If the flashes we've shown in the first 4 minutes last night, or much of the second half, becomes our standard level of play... this team can win the B12. Big "if", but I am optimistic
Ditto plus although I think we are all hungry for some bright spots in TCU athletics, optimism re the basketball team is reasonable

TX_Krötenechse

My only concern there is the drop-off between Samuel and Alok. If we can get Alok to be a solid relief for Samuel then the sky is the limit. Otherwise our inside game is notably worse with Samuel on the bench.