• The KillerFrogs

What a Difference a Talented QB Can Make

CountryFrog

It is until we see something in college, right? It's not like we've got Tua transferring in.

Whenever our starter struggles we always start clamoring for the backup / incoming guy, without any evidence that they would be an improvement. He might be, he might not be, it's just odd to start a thread discarding the talent of Robinson when we have zero clue how either of the alternatives will do in college football.
I agree with everything you're saying here. But just like I don't think fans should get incredibly high expectations for players who have never taken a snap in college, I also see no reason to compare them in any way to players from the past who had failed careers.

I do understand what you're trying to do and that you're not directly comparing the actual players just the fan reaction to the players. I just don't think it's fair to even bring up those specific names in comparison to someone who has yet to play. I also wouldn't think it's fair to start comparing someone who hasn't played yet to Dalton or Boykin. There's no need for any of it imo. It can be too easily misconstrued.

Zubaz

I agree with everything you're saying here. But just like I don't think fans should get incredibly high expectations for players who have never taken a snap in college, I also see no reason to compare them in any way to players from the past who had failed careers.

I do understand what you're trying to do and that you're not directly comparing the actual players just the fan reaction to the players. I just don't think it's fair to even bring up those specific names in comparison to someone who has yet to play. I also wouldn't think it's fair to start comparing someone who hasn't played yet to Dalton or Boykin. There's no need for any of it imo. It can be too easily misconstrued.
Fair point. I certainly wasn’t trying to dog the kid, hopefully he becomes an all time great.

BigPurple87

Hate to point this out but Roger's may never be the same again, he still has drop foot and it's common to never play at the same level again after an injury like that

Rose Bowl

Just my opinion but I don’t think we’ll ever be great with MC or SR as our QB. I’m not saying the other guys are going to be the answer just that I don’t think the guys we’ve seen are. With the way our OL has played it might not matter who’s behind center.

Jackson

Max Dugganis the real deal. He has the “edge” as his father is his High School Coach. The young man can read defenses and use his excellent passing and rushing skills accordingly. He possesses outstanding physical talent plus excellent knowledge of both offenses & defenses. As a January enrollee, I think he’s our starter in 2019.

FrogLifeYo

I like to think that some offenses are designed to put QBs in better position for success. Let’s look at Iowa St and Purdy..They have an offense that methodical and patient. They run to set up the pass and don’t place the game on Purdy shoulders to win or loose. It just so happens his play has elevated them and he’s winning them. Now contrast that with TCUs offense. We have no running game to speak of and thus have to place an enormous amount of pressure in SR and MC to make consistent difficult reads in + 5 third downs. We also have a very read heavy offense by Cumbie design that places further pressure on the QB position.

Our problems are two fold..Lack of a running game that has been victimized by a poor OL and we have an over complicated read heavy scheme designed by Cumbie.....To me It’s clear the OL personnel problem is being magnified by Cumbies ridiculous read heavy mid-direction driven offense..At the end of the day unlike ISU, we are NOT putting our QB in the best position to succeed and that’s even more on Cumbie than our personnel because he has the power to fix it.

4th. down

I like to think that some offenses are designed to put QBs in better position for success. Let’s look at Iowa St and Purdy..They have an offense that methodical and patient. They run to set up the pass and don’t place the game on Purdy shoulders to win or loose. It just so happens his play has elevated them and he’s winning them. Now contrast that with TCUs offense. We have no running game to speak of and thus have to place an enormous amount of pressure in SR and MC to make consistent difficult reads in + 5 third downs. We also have a very read heavy offense by Cumbie design that places further pressure on the QB position.

Our problems are two fold..Lack of a running game that has been victimized by a poor OL and we have an over complicated read heavy scheme designed by Cumbie.....To me It’s clear the OL personnel problem is being magnified by Cumbies ridiculous read heavy mid-direction driven offense..At the end of the day unlike ISU, we are NOT putting our QB in the best position to succeed and that’s even more on Cumbie than our personnel because he has the power to fix it.

I'm kinda thinking the same about Cumbie. I don't think he has adapted our passing game relative to our offensive line - Mike was dropped 4 times against WV.

WHY not try, just try, 2 looks (1 short and 1 long read), if both covered dump to RB in flat but need 2 RB's, one to block and 1 in the flat and tell our 2 receivers, one of you gets the ball, so run your route crisp, and get open. The other receivers can just do their thing as the next play, they may be the primary receivers. With 2 looks, Mike can get the ball out in 3 seconds.

Chico Dusty

Well said. Coaching and scheme, especially relating to QBs is so critical. It can be the difference between a successful or unsuccessful career as a QB. This is a NFL reference, if you follow the league, Jared Goff - had Sean McVay not come in to the the Rams, he may be a fledgling QB with career on a bleak trajectory, but insert successful scheme and coach, and he is thriving leading one of the best teams in the NFL.

Last edited:

FrogLifeYo

I'm kinda thinking the same about Cumbie. I don't think he has adapted our passing game relative to our offensive line - Mike was dropped 4 times against WV.

WHY not try, just try, 2 looks (1 short and 1 long read), if both covered dump to RB in flat but need 2 RB's, one to block and 1 in the flat and tell our 2 receivers, one of you gets the ball, so run your route crisp, and get open. The other receivers can just do their thing as the next play, they may be the primary receivers. With 2 looks, Mike can get the ball out in 3 seconds.

I find it interesting that when you watch OU, ISU, Baylor, and TX ...They almost always have a RB check down and they use him a lot. Our RBs are almost always nothing more than pass protection and if they do run a rout it’s out of weird slot shift..Sometimes I wonder if we even want our QB to be successful...

Eight

when i read these last few posts i think about the 3rd and 6 play against iowa state that was intercepted mid way through the 4th quarter.

there were no easy throws, no check off, it was an all or nothing play design. receiver to the far sideline is running a go as is the receiver on the near sideline, davis runs up the seam, and the back fakes the hand-off and settles in the flat

no crossing route by either outside receiver even though the middle was open with davis going deep. no wheel or circle route by the back in an attempt to provide a dump off and an easy throw if the deep route wasn't there.

TCURiggs

Max Dugganis the real deal. He has the “edge” as his father is his High School Coach. The young man can read defenses and use his excellent passing and rushing skills accordingly. He possesses outstanding physical talent plus excellent knowledge of both offenses & defenses. As a January enrollee, I think he’s our starter in 2019.

giphy.gif

JugbandFrog

Dump to the rb in the flat? What kind of sorcery is this? Oh, wait, you mean that play that other teams run against our defense and gain chingos of yards.

Oh that is the forbidden play, like the lambada.

Last edited: