• The KillerFrogs

If I were Gary...

Horny4TCU

GP needs to figure out if he will be able to sleep at night when he is retired.

Looking back and firing a friend, like Anderson. Or not firing him and never being as great as I could have been...

Tough judgement call, but agree with some of the posts that big changes need to be made with the assistant coaches.

I played for Burns. I think he is a good WR coach and motivator. He knows his football. Was OC at Cincinnati.

I bet if you asked other TCU WR alums they would also vouch for Burns.

I got heat for saying this 2 weeks ago but WR is the position that needs the least amount of coaching. At the college level as a WR you should know how to catch, get open and run routes. That's generally why every schools best recruiters are WR coaches. At the college level WR coaches still coach but it's more about explaining concepts, correcting mistakes, accountability and personal management.
Like I said, he has the track record but the fundamentals of the position have been in decline for the last several years. Maybe receivers "should" know this stuff but too many of ours do not so the choice is to live with it or coach it into them. The reason you got heat for saying it two weeks ago is that it is beyond silly to suggest that coaching at this level doesn't matter or should just be an afterthought.

netty2424

Yeah, no joke... When was the last time this happened to us? Has it ever?
No idea. I can’t imagine it ever has. People calling for Cumbies head, but since we aren’t allowed to criticize specific players, there’s an offensive unit that is almost solely responsible for this years offensive woe’s, and this game is proof of that.

4th. down

He’s not ready for that and I’d hate to see him end a great career on a down note like this.

He needs to make some corrections and has in the past so I am hopeful he will this time

Wes, I'm with you but we are talking GP here............he's not changing anything. He was sure pumped up for this team prior to our 1st. game and was still optimistic after the Ohio State game. Injuries, sure, and a lot of them, but when our boy wonder OC comes up with a -7 yds. rushing against the WV powerhouse defense, well even I know something ain't right.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
GP needs to figure out if he will be able to sleep at night when he is retired.

Looking back and firing a friend, like Anderson. Or not firing him and never being as great as I could have been...

Tough judgement call, but agree with some of the posts that big changes need to be made with the assistant coaches.
Anderson was a GA under Franchione and stayed to help GP prepare for the Mobile bowl game after Franchione left for Alabama. As a “reward” and I use that term loosely, he was hired as GP’s first WR coach

He’s not a bad guy and is reportedly a good recruiter but is not an offensive guy. He certainly is not a strategic mind, offensively, and I have to wonder where he is best suited as a coach. It’s not as a WR or OL coach. Been there and done that. He’s coached the RBs with little success. His play calling was a disaster and his offense had no identity. Don’t even think about putting him at QB coach. He played defense in college and maybe for Gary at New Mexico but you don’t see GP putting him on the defensive staff. That’s pretty telling to me

Maybe GP thinks he will evolve as an offensive coach but if it hasn’t happened after 17 years, it’s probably not going to happen

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Wes, I'm with you but we are talking GP here............he's not changing anything. He was sure pumped up for this team prior to our 1st. game and was still optimistic after the Ohio State game. Injuries, sure, and a lot of them, but when our boy wonder OC comes up with a -7 yds. rushing against the WV powerhouse defense, well even I know something ain't right.
He has made changes in the past ( SCHULTZ Anderson, etc ) so I know that he can do it but he is the one who has to realize it and then make it happen

GP himself has used the old saying “ to those who much is given, much is expected in return”

Maybe it’s timeto remind him

My bias is that they aren’t some magical play callers out there smarter than other play callers. There are plenty of examples of coaches who have offensive success for a period and then struggle big time. Very few are always on top, as a matter of fact. I don’t think they suddenly become incompetent. It’s all about personnel, experience and confidence. Sometimes a coaching change is necessary to reset when a team or unit has lost te mojo. Sometimes it takes patience as personnel mature. I’ll admit it’s a tough call but I think patience is in order right now.

Pharm Frog

No idea. I can’t imagine it ever has. People calling for Cumbies head, but since we aren’t allowed to criticize specific players, there’s an offensive unit that is almost solely responsible for this years offensive woe’s, and this game is proof of that.

It’s the sixth or seventh worst in TCU history from what they said on radio

CountryFrog

He has been considerably better than what we had. Now that we have a decent QB, it is showing the problems with our receivers and O line. As far as I can tell, we only have two receivers on the team that can get open and still catch the ball. Reager and Barber are the only two that seem capable of actually catching the ball. That is a sad situation on our players or coaches, which ever it is, it needs to change.
There were lots of people who thought that simply changing QBs would fix all the problems. Regardless of which QB is better or by how much, the offense is struggling just as much to score now as it was with Robinson, just with fewer turnovers and more three and outs.

netty2424

It’s the sixth or seventh worst in TCU history from what they said on radio
Speaking of radio, Estrdge’s interpretation of how to pronounce David Sills last name was pronounced ‘Seal’ and every time he said it, Denton followed it with Sill. It was almost like he was correcting him without actually correcting him. Found it funny.

TRF51

I would make changes with the coordinators. Bring in a new OC, keep Cumbie as the QB coach since he is a great recruiter but I don’t want him calling the plays or coming up with the plays. We need a new vision, new energy.

Limey Frog

After two decades' D1 assistant coach pay JA shouldn't have to work another day in his life unless he's been stupid with his money. GP doesn't owe him anything, his conscience should be quiet on that score (pun intended).

Another thing to consider on this point is whether an OC worth hiring is going to take a job when the conditions are that he must keep the exact same staff around him and can't bring in anyone of his own. No wonder we can't hire anyone worth having.

Last edited:

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
we have softened our approach so as long as its fair and respectful criticism, then its OK. If you personalize it and are overly harsh, then its not.

TAINTed frog

Besides Cross, Glasgow, and Schultz (lol) getting hired into a promotion, I can’t think of a ton of coaches that have gone on to better jobs. And none that I can think of that have gone on to success. Fuente I guess would be the exception.

About a week or so ago I was discussing this with some friends.

Gary’s “coaching tree” is essentially straight up and down. After 18 years at the same the school, I’d argue that that isn’t good.

If you can’t create/elevate coaching talent you limit your ability for a long term sustainable program. Since being in the Big 12 I think we’re finally seeing that.

TCUSA

I remember telling people to be careful what they wished for when they were telling me there was no reason we shouldn't be in the NCAA tourney at least every other year and Billy Tubbs needed to go. That worked out well...