• The KillerFrogs

Off Topic: Best Weekend Getaways within a few hours of DFW

Limp Lizard

Austin -- if one doesn't mind either flying or a truly miserable I-35 drive (5 hours my last road trip).

New Braunfels or San Antonio -- if one doesn't mind either flying or a truly miserable I-35 drive (I estimate 6 hours to N.B. in a car (unless Austin traffic makes it worse), and another 45 minutes to an hour from N.B. to the River Walk in S.A., depending on traffic).

Waco -- the "fixer-uper" tourist traps. JkJkJk

Just take the toll road (130/45) around Austin, and you bypass Austin at 80+ mph. Life became a lot easier for me once I learned about that way to miss Austin and it's Interstate parking lot.
Last June I had a great stay in a cabin near Wimberly, through Hill Country Premier Lodging. Just a one bedroom but very private, and very large for a one BR. It was called "Luxury Cabins @ Stony Ridge - Emerald". There are two cabins there, Emerald and Ruby, but Emerald is much more private (you drive right by Ruby to get to Emerald. Go with Emerald. Cannot recommend enough for two people. For more than 2, well, lots in the hill country.

Shake Tiller

Rough Creek is a good option. Gaylord is too, especially during the holidays.

Another option... last year we visited downtown McKinney for a weekend and stayed here: http://www.grandhotelmckinney.com/

The historic downtown area has quite a bit going on: https://www.mckinneytexas.org/115/Main-Street---Historic-Downtown

It's not a secret anymore. Downtown McKinney is booming and offers lots of good restaurants, bars, live music, shops and hotels, ranging from luxury to bargains.. The historic square is crowded during the day and packed at night.

frogetaboutit

Kiepersol Estates just south of Tyler. B&B, restaurant, winery and distillery.

They make Dirk’s Vodka which isn’t bad at all. Not a huge fan of their wines personally but others are. The winery/distillery tour is pretty good and the restaurant is excellent.

MTfrog5

Kiepersol Estates just south of Tyler. B&B, restaurant, winery and distillery.

They make Dirk’s Vodka which isn’t bad at all. Not a huge fan of their wines personally but others are. The winery/distillery tour is pretty good and the restaurant is excellent.
They have some really good rum. Was just there a couple weeks ago

pgdaly84

There’s an awesome one-room hotel in Clifton called the Cell Block. It’s about 2 hours away. My wife and I stayed there for a fun weekend a couple years ago. The owners remodeled the old city jail and turned it into a high end place to stay. There’s no tv or WiFi, but they have a record player with jail themed records and turned the roof into a cool hangout with a fire pit and furniture. They also give you a bottle of wine and a flask of whiskey. The original cell doors are still there, and they leave a Polaroid camera to take photos. Definitely recommend it for something different.

frogs9497

more than two hours away but maybe the add on Killerfrogs i found would be good?
index.php

View attachment 5147

It's easy to grin,
When your ship comes in,
And you've got the stock market beat.

But the man worthwhile,
Is the man who can smile,
When his shorts are too tight in the seat.

6Frog6

I second this, downtown McKinney is great. Tons of good places to go right there within a block or two.
The Celt restaurant/Irish bar on the square is owned by a TCU alum.
It's not a secret anymore. Downtown McKinney is booming and offers lots of good restaurants, bars, live music, shops and hotels, ranging from luxury to bargains.. The historic square is crowded during the day and packed at night.
The Celt restaurant/Irish bar on the square is owned by a TCU alum. Rick's Chophouse is probably the best, in my opinion. Parking can be an issue, though.

BABYFACE

There’s an awesome one-room hotel in Clifton called the Cell Block. It’s about 2 hours away. My wife and I stayed there for a fun weekend a couple years ago. The owners remodeled the old city jail and turned it into a high end place to stay. There’s no tv or WiFi, but they have a record player with jail themed records and turned the roof into a cool hangout with a fire pit and furniture. They also give you a bottle of wine and a flask of whiskey. The original cell doors are still there, and they leave a Polaroid camera to take photos. Definitely recommend it for something different.
You hang out with Frog Prince?

TCURiggs

Never thought I'd see the day that someone recommended my hometown as a weekend getaway. Ha.

The owner of the Cell Block was my English teacher in high school. Cool lady. She also has a nice restaurant in town called Sinclair, where she brought in a chef from Austin to run it. The downtown area is nice and revamped, but it's small. There's also a little winery in the area called Red Caboose that has some decent vino. You could also drive over to Cranfills Gap (20 min or so) and check out the Horny Toad Bar & Grill... cool little bar in a tiny town that actually has good food, and it's pretty country. The Toad is a good place to grab a purple shirt as well!

tcumaniac

Rough Creek is a good option. Gaylord is too, especially during the holidays.

Another option... last year we visited downtown McKinney for a weekend and stayed here: http://www.grandhotelmckinney.com/

The historic downtown area has quite a bit going on: https://www.mckinneytexas.org/115/Main-Street---Historic-Downtown

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I have a confession to make. I lied. My "buddy" was actually me. I failed to plan anything for our anniversary this weekend, so I was desperate for some last second ideas for a quick getaway and didn't want to admit to it.

I looked into staying at a B&B in Granbury at the Inn on Lake Granbury, Iron Horse Inn, Baker St Harbour and everything was booked.

I looked at a few places in Glenn Rose including Inn on the River, Country Woods Inn, and Cedars on the Brazos, but they were all booked too.

I looked at staying at Rough Creek Lodge, but it was going to end up costing us $800 after tax for one night. No thanks.

I looked into Gaylord Texan and just wasn't sold on the idea.

I looked into staying at a cool place in Dallas and going to a fancy steakhouse there, but couldn't convince myself to spend money in Dallas.

I looked into Kiepersol in Tyler, which looked pretty cool, but ultimately decided it was too far away considering the TCU game probably won't be over until close to 6ish.

All that to say, I finally looked into The Grand Hotel in McKinney and they thankfully had a few rooms left, so that's what we're going to be doing. Heading there straight after the game, and have dinner reservations at Rick's Chophouse for later that evening. Hopefully there's still plenty of places open to explore in downtown McKinney on Sunday. This is just our two year anniversary, so I didn't want to set expectations too high in our first few years. I'll save the more elaborate adventures for later/when I can afford it.

tcumaniac

Never thought I'd see the day that someone recommended my hometown as a weekend getaway. Ha.

The owner of the Cell Block was my English teacher in high school. Cool lady. She also has a nice restaurant in town called Sinclair, where she brought in a chef from Austin to run it. The downtown area is nice and revamped, but it's small. There's also a little winery in the area called Red Caboose that has some decent vino. You could also drive over to Cranfills Gap (20 min or so) and check out the Horny Toad Bar & Grill... cool little bar in a tiny town that actually has good food, and it's pretty country. The Toad is a good place to grab a purple shirt as well!
Literally never heard of Clifton. Might have to go check it out one day.

Eight

isn't clifton's claim to be the scandanavian capital of texas?