• The KillerFrogs

Off Topic: Best Weekend Getaways within a few hours of DFW

tcumaniac

I was talking with a buddy who asked me if I knew of any cool weekend getaway spots for him and his wife that was no more than 2 hours away from Fort Worth for their anniversary. He didn't really have anything in particular in mind other than staying in a boutique hotel or B&B and having the ability to have a nice dinner. Staying in a place with a cool area to walk around and explore or something that had a particular activity worth doing was a plus too. He wanted to keep it to under 2 hours bc they were thinking about going after the game on Saturday, so anywhere near Austin was out.

Anyway, I was kind of at a loss when it came to having any suggestions. I've heard there are some nice Bed and Breakfast hotels on Lake Granbury. And I've heard of people staying in Glen Rose and visiting Fossil Rim for a day, but other than that, I couldn't really think of anything within 2 hours that was worth doing.

Anyone have a suggestion or recommendation?

Thanks

BABYFACE

I believe 7R ranch by Gorman does rentals now besides their homeowners and time share.

He limits himself with a 2 hour limit, 3 to 3 1/2 opens up a lot more possibilities.

Would he consider just staying in town and do the getaway at the Gaylord?

Last edited:

Moose Stuff

I believe 7R ranch by Gorman does rentals now besides their homeowners and time share.

He limits himself with a 2 hour limit, 3 to 3 1/2 opens up a lot more possibilities.

He would he consider just staying in town and do the getaway at the Gaylord?

Gaylord is a solid option for staying local.

Wexahu

Frog-in-law1995

Did a bachelor party once up at Tanglewood resort on Texhoma. Not a 5-star place, but we had a good time. PK has a nice resort, too. Slightly more than 2 hours, but Lakeway resort on Lake Travis and Lost Pines over in Bastrop are nice.

froginaustin

Austin -- if one doesn't mind either flying or a truly miserable I-35 drive (5 hours my last road trip).

New Braunfels or San Antonio -- if one doesn't mind either flying or a truly miserable I-35 drive (I estimate 6 hours to N.B. in a car (unless Austin traffic makes it worse), and another 45 minutes to an hour from N.B. to the River Walk in S.A., depending on traffic).

Waco -- the "fixer-uper" tourist traps. JkJkJk

CryptoMiner

Rough Creek is great but hunting season starts Nov 3 and prices go up significantly there as does the number of shooters. Love the place though, great food and great facilities.

Nearby in Glen Rose is The Inn on the River which is a nice B&B on the Paluxy and there are also some great rentals at Fossil Rim.

As someone else mentioned Jefferson is a great little town and Caddo Lake is always interesting. Lots of options on boat rides from steamboats to canoe rentals.