• The KillerFrogs

Changes Need to be Made

LovesFrogsNDogs

Running back coach is missing a lot. DA still wont carry the ball correctly. Whipping it around in his arm down low, not securing it.
Which, by the way, is something most ball carriers learn by 2nd grade at the earliest and freshman year of high school at the latest. SR is a huge sinner in this department as well.

Mean Purple

developing his staff? gary has four long-time members on his staff who it is questionable they are carrying their weight and 3 have coached multiple positions with questionable degrees of effectiveness in developing their position groups

he has three very young coaches in terms of their coaching careers on the defensive side of the ball and their groups have shown some promise. all three have shown in recruiting.

the concern though is anyone on that side of the ball have the gravitas to tell gary what he is wanting to do defensively isn't working. seriously the 3-3-5 tcu was going with in the second half is the very thing they were doing in 2016 and go back and look what kansas did in the second half two years ago.

we had upper classmen at linebacker who still blow coverages and keep trying the same thing again and again and again. why do i think at some point if bumpas was still on the staff there would have been a conversation about going back to base and simply executing instead of this scheming bull [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] that isn't working

as far as the offensive staff there really is one coach being developed and who have you surrounded him with to build an offense? luper is a recruiter, thomsen is in year two and up to his neck in alligators dealing with offensive line problems and then you have the comedy team of anderson and burns

here is the biggest lie ever told......gary patterson built this program into what it is today.

[ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ]...gary patterson AND A VERY GOOD STAFF OF COACHES built this program . there shouldn't be just one statue but multiples with bumpas, williamson, and the others that built this program

the 4-2-5 was never just gary's defense, but he and bumpas and what i am seeing at tcu is slowly becoming what is happening at k state. snyder might have been the head guy, but go back and look at who was on his early staffs and compare that to his current staff.
Teton makes a good point that the reason for the 3 man fronts may be due to injuries.

I know Gary's secondary is not easy for young guys. They say they pass guys off to the next in certain situations takes lots of focus.

Those guys get left defending their own island without help a lot.

Hated seeing Gaines go down. That hurts us bad.

Eight

Teton makes a good point that the reason for the 3 man fronts may be due to injuries.

I know Gary's secondary is not easy for young guys. They say they pass guys off to the next in certain situations takes lots of focus.

Those guys get left defending their own island without help a lot.

Hated seeing Gaines go down. That hurts us bad.

possible, but aside from ross who is hurt?

if ross is the only d-tackle hurt why switch to a scheme that requires the size and skill set that ross is the only guy on your roster that fits the need

if it is de why switch to a scheme that puts a great deal of pressure on the de's and where the hell is mathis?

Mean Purple

so if we are undermanned and undersized at de and we have four bodies at d-tackle in bethley, broadnax, cooper, and ellis we scheme around this by only using one d-tackle at a time and ask our de's to play head up on offensive tackles who they are giving up 50+ lbs

it makes no sense and reminds me of what got mike stoopes fired at ou. if you don't have the personnel you don't run the scheme and tcu does not have but one de who can effectively play head up on a on offensive tackle.

gary just got done talking about mathis' future and where was he? granted, he isn't built to play head up either.

i truly don't understand the personnel rotations right now at a number of positions, i don't understand the scheme decisions and that is okay because i am not paid to do any of that.

what i do see though is a pattern that is concerning of this defense trying to depend upon tricks and schemes instead of execution and when you have upper classmen in the back seven who are struggling you have to ask who and why
I seem to remember Gary using 4 up front the first year in the league when we played bu. His reasoning was about the qb being too good and wanted the pressure. If we are recruiting better now, but have so many injuries, maybe treat like that first year and bring pressure.

There must be something on the back end and middle that worries him more right now.

Eight

I seem to remember Gary using 4 up front the first year in the league when we played bu. His reasoning was about the qb being too good and wanted the pressure. If we are recruiting better now, but have so many injuries, maybe treat like that first year and bring pressure.

There must be something on the back end and middle that worries him more right now.

which makes sense to a point, but as i have posted a number of times today if you go back and look at 2016 in lawrence gary basically went to the same formation and got shredded by kansas. the difference was 3 missed fields on the last 3 kansas offensive series.

in the second half of the last two games to lawrence kansas has had 12 offense possession.

they have scored 7 times, missed 3 field goals, 1 punt, and then the safety on saturday

Eight

The loss of some starters was huge. We played a lot better back there before the past 2 weeks.

Guys will adjust, I hope. Need 3 more wins.

adjust how?

as gary adjusted to kansas in 2016 and now 2018.

the frustration to me is not the losses, but how these games are being lost and the continued mistakes that are correctable.

missed tackles and blown coverages by upper classmen

poor decisions in the special teams especially as someone pointed out not calling for a fair catch on the kick-offs three times tcu started within their own 20 after receiving a kick-off and twice inside their own

we started a possession with a delay of game because we were not ready

i don't understand the substitution pattern at receiver

Eight

Too many are not being coached at some high schools. Starting to show.

you are kidding right. a junior running back is fumbing because of what he wasn't taught at george ranch?

he has been in the program 3 years. supposedly he wasn't playing because of his failing to pass protect as well as sewo and now the fumbles are on his high school staff.

bull [ Finebaum ], luper's strength might be as a recruiter, but this isn't on the high school coaches

Mean Purple

you are kidding right. a junior running back is fumbing because of what he wasn't taught at george ranch?

he has been in the program 3 years. supposedly he wasn't playing because of his failing to pass protect as well as sewo and now the fumbles are on his high school staff.

bull [ steaming pile of Orgeron ], luper's strength might be as a recruiter, but this isn't on the high school coaches
No, not saying that related to our situation, just in general. There are too many coming out of the Texas high school ranks who are missing on fundamentals. Their amazing talent covered for them.

Yes, it should be worked on with our guys and their is no excuse. Saban makes his kids work on fundamentals all the time. In camp, they are a machine. Really impressive.
Fundamentals should always be worked on. That 4 episode show espn did in pre season that showed bama's camp was a great view of a lot. But getting to attend a practice at a program like that once was eye opening.

Virginia Frog

the frustration to me is not the losses, but how these games are being lost and the continued mistakes that are correctable.

missed tackles and blown coverages by upper classmen
/QUOTE]
Second the motion.

This is not a BAD team. We've got the talent and the coaching (mostly.)

The execution is fair to poor.

There doesn't seem to be any killer instinct (leadership) and playing with emotion.

Losing is a sickness. We just HAVE to throw EVERYTHING at the K-Staters and get a W, Just one. Maybe things would change a bit and salvage the season just a wee bit.

Yep, I can take losing, but HOW they are losing is what makes me a sore FrogFan!

cheese83

No, not saying that related to our situation, just in general. There are too many coming out of the Texas high school ranks who are missing on fundamentals. Their amazing talent covered for them.

Yes, it should be worked on with our guys and their is no excuse. Saban makes his kids work on fundamentals all the time. In camp, they are a machine. Really impressive.
Fundamentals should always be worked on. That 4 episode show espn did in pre season that showed bama's camp was a great view of a lot. But getting to attend a practice at a program like that once was eye opening.

If true isn’t that what college coaches and redshirts are for? Helping develop and improve players so they can win games and help them get a shot at the next level?

You can’t blame guys coming out of HS with a lack of fundamentals when plenty of other teams are recruiting Texas kids and doing just fine.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus

I know that injuries happen. It's football and not equestrian. But, it seems like we have more than our fair share of serious injuries and a season ending injuries.

Maybe it's just coincidence, I just don't know. However, maybe it's time to take a good hard look at our training and conditioning methods.

Again, I may be overreacting. One other thought, a few years ago, we changed from Fort Worth Bone and Joint, whose doctors had tended to TCU athletics for almost 50 years. We switch to a different group and all of a sudden we seem to have more injuries. Again, it could just be coincidence.

CountryFrog

I have no doubt that Saban knows how to run a practice and they do lots of great drills. I feel like the main thing they have going for them though is that all their players are better than everyone else's players.

Wexahu

I have no doubt that Saban knows how to run a practice and they do lots of great drills. I feel like the main thing they have going for them though is that all their players are better than everyone else's players.

Yep. With the players they have they’d win 90% of their games with a merely competent coach. Bama is a freaking training camp for NFL prototype O and D lineman. Add to that the pick of the litter for DBs and skill position players and it’s not that hard to figure out how to line them up so they can be successful.

Mean Purple

Yep. With the players they have they’d win 90% of their games with a merely competent coach. Bama is a freaking training camp for NFL prototype O and D lineman. Add to that the pick of the litter for DBs and skill position players and it’s not that hard to figure out how to line them up so they can be successful.
True, to an extent. But they are grilled hard to focus, every little detail. No plays off. And the way he grills his staff to ensure they have the prep needed, and on a specific time table. Really interesting.

Their scout/recruiting budget is through the roof, of course.

But, in the end. Hard work is hard work.

Our guys need to get that fire back. Good thing about Saturday is that they did not quit. Just gotta really zone it and keep it there.

Tumbleweed

It's going to be entertaining this summer as Donati reviews this program. I think the reviews are much quicker this year than before. One thing for sure, alumni are becoming restless more so than I have witnessed in many years. My two cents and its just an observation.

Latest posts