• The KillerFrogs

DMN: Gary Patterson on moving forward from Kansas; how did Darius Anderson respond to fumble?

Punter1

Our special teams coaching/execution has been awful for years.

Just like the two TWO kickoff return laterals for touchdowns (against Stanford and Ohio State) that were called back because of being forward laterals. It's so easy to tell the receiving player to stay in the end zone and the throwing player to leave the end zone...that way there is ZERO chance its forward. Instead we screw it up twice when clearly they haven't either practiced it enough or was told how to do it right.

CountryFrog

Because Gary said so. Three times. On another look it appears he said it five times. So either they were told and chose to ignore it immediately after being told or they weren’t told. I was initially hoping it was the latter because that seems less of an issue. Now I’m hoping it was the former because I can’t imagine how a locker room would react to having a coach be so adamant they were told if they weren’t.
I have no idea what happened but there is a third possibility. Everyone was told as a group to do this but at least one guy wasn't paying attention or for whatever reason didn't understand what he was being told and didn't want to ask a question. It doesn't necessarily have to be a total miss by the coaches or a rogue player. This is a 19 year old kid so there's no telling what was going through his mind before that play.

CountryFrog

Our special teams coaching/execution has been awful for years.

Just like the two TWO kickoff return laterals for touchdowns (against Stanford and Ohio State) that were called back because of being forward laterals. It's so easy to tell the receiving player to stay in the end zone and the throwing player to leave the end zone...that way there is ZERO chance its forward. Instead we screw it up twice when clearly they haven't either practiced it enough or was told how to do it right.
I don't remember the Stanford play well enough but against OSU, Reagor was several yards behind Turpin. JR had to do a full sprint forward to catch the ball in stride because the throw was so far out in front of him. It was just a really bad throw by Turpin. I think KT held it too long and turned it into a difficult throw as he was being crushed by an OSU player.

I agree in general though that special teams have been abysmal this year outside of the return man.

Pharm Frog

I have no idea what happened but there is a third possibility. Everyone was told as a group to do this but at least one guy wasn't paying attention or for whatever reason didn't understand what he was being told and didn't want to ask a question. It doesn't necessarily have to be a total miss by the coaches or a rogue player. This is a 19 year old kid so there's no telling what was going through his mind before that play.

Just going by what GP said adamantly and repeatedly. If that unit was being coached up by someone (and there was plenty of time to do so), then the only thing going through anyone’s mind would have been “fair catch it” or “field it with a knee down” or “return it if receiving it passed the _____ yard line” (the latter for only the deep backs and only if you felt like your return team was more likely to score than your QBs ability to reach the end zone). I hold open the possibility that someone wasn’t paying attention but that to me would be a rogue player. I also hold open the possibility that a kid didn’t understand the instruction but that would be a coaching issue IMO by not being clear and simple.

KU offered a gift and we didn’t accept it.

CountryFrog

Just going by what GP said adamantly and repeatedly. If that unit was being coached up by someone (and there was plenty of time to do so), then the only thing going through anyone’s mind would have been “fair catch it” or “field it with a knee down” or “return it if receiving it passed the _____ yard line” (the latter for only the deep backs and only if you felt like your return team was more likely to score than your QBs ability to reach the end zone). I hold open the possibility that someone wasn’t paying attention but that to me would be a rogue player. I also hold open the possibility that a kid didn’t understand the instruction but that would be a coaching issue IMO by not being clear and simple.

KU offered a gift and we didn’t accept it.
I don't totally disagree. No matter what happened there was bad communication and that ultimately falls on the coaches. It's certainly not good to have a player not paying attention or not understanding. I just think that type of thing happens more often in games than people probably realize, even on good teams. It's not good but I don't think it's as bad as someone being purposefully defiant of what the coaches are telling them.

We may just be debating semantics here. Especially since I don't even know for sure what happened. Just throwing out another theory.

Last edited:

texas_sicilian

One thing is clear, they aren’t “owning the process”.

But on offense, I am questioning what “process” we have in place to begin with...

We are dead last in the Big 12 on points per drive.

Last edited:

Mean Purple

I'm sure GP told them to fall on it. Several times. I imagine that is what he was yelling at them just before and to the field.

That his a situational play that is addressed in practice. But not one that gets a lot of time in practice. Just a different spot in priority of items to work.

Pharm Frog

I'm sure GP told them to fall on it. Several times. I imagine that is what he was yelling at them just before and to the field.

That his a situational play that is addressed in practice. But not one that gets a lot of time in practice. Just a different spot in priority of items to work.

That’s what he said they were told. What they all were told. And “fall on it” is not necessarily the same as “field it with a knee on the ground”. If you catch it and then “fall on it” the second expires. Like another poster said...should not have come down to that but it was our only chance left

f_399

Retweeted by Coach p

I think coach p knows the team is hurting, especially Anderson for the fumble. He is probably done screaming at them and at this point needs to show them encouragement.

Mean Purple

That’s what he said they were told. What they all were told. And “fall on it” is not necessarily the same as “field it with a knee on the ground”. If you catch it and then “fall on it” the second expires. Like another poster said...should not have come down to that but it was our only chance left
for sure.

it blows that this team has so many injuries. it is killing it. still, they had the chance to win that game. youngsters will have good experience after all this.