• The KillerFrogs

LHCGP has a Leadership Problem

JugbandFrog

I just finished a weekend long examination for my Doctorate in Educational Leadership, and after today’s question, I kept thinking of LHCGP.

LHCGP has a Leadership problem, and it is a problem that begins and ends with him.

In the question I answered today, it was about a principal who managed this history department and had one of the assistants manage the English department. The history dept had amazing scores and the English had horrible scores. The principal would say things like: “I don’t manage that department.” Sound familiar?

LHCGP needs to do a few things as he coaches his coaches because that is the issue here. He does not coach the offense, but it doesn’t matter because it is HIS team. He needs to be the head coach right now. He needs to coach up Cumbie to grow as a coach. Challenge him and push him to be better, challenge the game plan, challenge the decisions, coach Cumbie to see his errors and learn from them, and finally, take responsibility for the performance of the offense as their performance is a reflection of his failures as a leader, specifically a head coach of a major college football team.

LHCGP needs to do the same with his D. He needs to give the reins over to a defensive coordinator and coach that person up.

In my question, the school fell because the leader was too caught up with the minutia of the details of a particular segment when he should have been seeing the overall trends of his team and creating a program.

When he does this is when we become a consistent program and avoid seasons like this.

Last edited:

Raw Frog

I just finished a weekend long examination for my Doctorate in Educational Leadership, and after today’s question, I kept thinking of LHCGP.

LHCGP has a Leadership problem, and it is a problem that begins and ends with him.

In the question I answered today, it was about a principal who managed this history department and had one of the assistants manage the English department. The history dept had amazing scores and the English had horrible scores. The principal would say things like: “I don’t manage that department.” Sound familiar?

LHCGP needs to do a few things as he coaches his coaches because that is the issue here. He does not coach the offense, but it doesn’t matter because it is HIS team. He needs to be the head coach right now. He needs to coach up Cumbie to grow as a coach. Challenge him and push him to be better, challenge the game plan, challenge the decisions, coach Cumbie to see his errors and learn from them, and finally, take responsibility for the performance of the offense as their performance is a reflection of his failures as a leader, specifically a head coach of a major college football team.

LHCGP needs to do the same with his D. He needs to give the reins over to a defensive coordinator and coach that person up.

In my question, the school fell because the leader was too caught up with the minutia of the details of a particular segment when he should have been seeing the overall trends of his team and creating a program.

When he does this is when we become a consistent program and avoid seasons like this.

Good insight.

Horny4TCU

I was going to say, "Not another thread about this." However, this is really unique and original. Good analysis and I appreciate it. Not that my opinion matters more than the next guy, but great write up.

JugbandFrog

Jug, can you tell me our final rankings the last 5 years?

How about the last 10 years?

And now you're lecturing CGP about leadership?

I get you're frustrated. So am I. But I'm not about to lecture CGP about anything relating to his program. If this type of play continues into next year, then I'll start to question him. But not yet.
I get it, yes, he has been successful, but we have yeara like this. We have several coaches on staff who don’t seem to be any better caches than when they arrived. This is a leadership problem. A leader like LHCGP needs to coach his leadera just as much as he coaches the players.

I don’t doubt or question the success, but seasons like this, which are also a pattern, could possibly be avoided with LHCGP reevaluting how he leads his program.

TX_Krötenechse

I get it, yes, he has been successful, but we have yeara like this. We have several coaches on staff who don’t seem to be any better caches than when they arrived. This is a leadership problem. A leader like LHCGP needs to coach his leadera just as much as he coaches the players.

I don’t doubt or question the success, but seasons like this, which are also a pattern, could possibly be avoided with LHCGP reevaluting how he leads his program.
You’re right. TCU is the only program in the country that has down years, and it’s all GP’s fault.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus

Congratulations on getting your doctorate. That’s quite an accomplishment

I agree with you wholeheartedly

f_399

Looking at the top programs.

Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia, Ohio state even add LSU, Florida, Washington...

Do their head coaches give full reign to their coordinators? Specifically defense and offense?

denverfrog

Jug,
Unless you are on the TCU staff, you have no idea what Gary is or is not doing. Don’t get too wrapped up in what he says to the press, we are rebuilding in several key areas, this team will surprise this year. We are not done yet

Pharm Frog

I don’t agree for the simple reason that I don’t think that approach in any way conforms to GPs competency strengths and asking HIM to change like this at this stage of his career would be futile. In fact, I think this approach if implemented would undermine the core strengths that he has brought to the program since he became HC. I don’t disagree that it is the right approach in the vast vast majority of cases but not with GP and not at this stage. I do think it needs to be a major consideration in future hiring decisions.

Jug, can you tell me our final rankings the last 5 years?

How about the last 10 years?

And now you're lecturing CGP about leadership?

I get you're frustrated. So am I. But I'm not about to lecture CGP about anything relating to his program. If this type of play continues into next year, then I'll start to question him. But not yet.

He's not questioning x's and o's. That would be foolish for Jug to even try to tell GP how to coach. But it's completely fair to question the leadership. The problems this year begin and end with leadership.