• The KillerFrogs

Regarding Turpin

riffram2011

Reasonably certain the only press talking about this is our ridiculous hometown paper and a few reporters from Waco, Austin, and maybe Houston. This story isn’t a big deal outside of certain locales and will be quickly forgotten despite the efforts of “journalists” such as Engel.

So DFW, Houston, Austin....more or less the three biggest cities/metro areas in Texas?

I also see articles on ESPN, Yahoo Sports, CBSSports, Sports Illustrated....not exactly the best evidence that this isn't a big deal.

riffram2011

Further, the folks that people are getting most upset at are analysts / commentators, right? They post their commentary based on the news that is reported elsewhere, yeah?

Exactly. The Drew Davison piece is 100% reporting the facts. Unless you want to be a jerk and say stuff like this is putting in "opinion."

Patterson was adamant he and the coaching staff had no information regarding a battery charge against Turpin that was filed the same day in the Dona Ana Magistrate Court Las Cruces.

“I’m not trying to cover anything up,” Patterson said. “I feel bad because the kid, KaVontae, football is his life. Bottom line to it, though, is the health of a lady is her life and you can’t cross that line. So, today, I lose on both counts.”

Patterson’s comments fell in line with a statement released by the university earlier in the day.
Technically, you could call this inserting opinions, because someone may say he was not very adamant, or that the statements didn't 100% match up. But there's a difference between Mac, who is a COLUMNIST, and someone who is not.

If you want to get into a longer debate about the need of columns and an OpEd page in 2018, sure. But that's another argument.

Mean Purple

I'm disappointed in how many of you can't see how you would be looking at this if it was Baylor, or Oklahoma, UT, or Tech.

I've learned a lot about KT the last few days that apparently the athletic department knew from the start (about KT's background and volatile relationship). I fully believe in giving him and others a chance at every level, but I'm disappointed they knew about the arrest of a student athlete that was practically the face of the program but didn't use their full resources to investigate. Knowing some of these people personally, I don't think it was with malice, but I do think it is a problem that we didn't engage the TCU police department to do a check for us on this and every report of an arrest. Perhaps there's a reason we didn't engage TCU police - some separation between athletics/police/student privacy thing we don't understand. As I take that to it's logical end I can see a problem (why not every student - well because that's creepy - so why just athletes?). Regardless, it seems like if we want to run a very clean athletic program - those departments should be working hand in hand. TCU's reputation was built on Athletics in the last 20 years. It can also fall by it. See Louisville and Baylor...

TCU Athletics can do better - and I think they will do better. But we have to take our licks on this one, in my opinion. And that's the Fort Worth Star-Telegrams' job - to investigate, to editorialize, and hopefully let TCU know that someone is watching us carefully so we don't end up on ESPN's 40 for 40.

MAF
There is nothing that shows anyone at TCU knew about KT's "relationship" until Sunday. There is nothing that shows they knew about an arrest warrant until Monday afternoon. When they found out, they sent the kid packin'.

frogs9497

The best yesterday was Corby sitting on his high horse talking about Gary needing to get his program together.

Corby went overboard and tried to paint a very ominous picture about CGP and where the program is “trending.” He also said something about TCU people being careful not to dogpile Baylor for its issues. What?? Rhyner chimed in about how he thought TCU and CGP were above board. Both suggested CGP either had to know about the DV charge or was afraid to dig deeper. Then of course Corby brings up Boykin.

I keep the Ticket on in my office more or less as background noise. I guess I need background noise for the background noise.

Mean Purple

Exactly. The Drew Davison piece is 100% reporting the facts. Unless you want to be a jerk and say stuff like this is putting in "opinion."

Patterson was adamant he and the coaching staff had no information regarding a battery charge against Turpin that was filed the same day in the Dona Ana Magistrate Court Las Cruces.

“I’m not trying to cover anything up,” Patterson said. “I feel bad because the kid, KaVontae, football is his life. Bottom line to it, though, is the health of a lady is her life and you can’t cross that line. So, today, I lose on both counts.”

Patterson’s comments fell in line with a statement released by the university earlier in the day.
Technically, you could call this inserting opinions, because someone may say he was not very adamant, or that the statements didn't 100% match up. But there's a difference between Mac, who is a COLUMNIST, and someone who is not.

If you want to get into a longer debate about the need of columns and an OpEd page in 2018, sure. But that's another argument.

Mac actually mixed in opinion in a piece he wrote and it was not until down near the bottom of the piece did he write the part that showed TCU wouldn't have known. So yeah, you pick spots in certain articles or posts and say it is just facts, but when you look at a whole article or a journalists posts throughout the day of days of an event, there is sometimes a slant.

Mean Purple

Corby went overboard and tried to paint a very ominous picture about CGP and where the program is “trending.” He also said something about TCU people being careful not to dogpile Baylor for its issues. What?? Rhyner chimed in about how he thought TCU and CGP were above board. Both suggested CGP either had to know about the DV charge or was afraid to dig deeper. Then of course Corby brings up Boykin.

I keep the Ticket on in my office more or less as background noise. I guess I need background noise for the background noise.
That whole station sux. It is some of the worst sports coverage I have ever listened to. You can stop listening for months, go back and listen, and it is the same non sports nonsense that they spend time blathering about.

Mean Purple

Anyone know more about this?

Time to point out again ... TCU did not get in the way of police going after KT. They did not pressure police to bury investigations. Heck, when they found out he got busted, they suspended him right out the gate. They did not send some former coaching legend to pressure the girl to not press charges.

Contrast that to what went on in Waco.

Zubaz

Mac actually mixed in opinion in a piece he wrote and it was not until down near the bottom of the piece did he write the part that showed TCU wouldn't have known. So yeah, you pick spots in certain articles or posts and say it is just facts, but when you look at a whole article or a journalists posts throughout the day of days of an event, there is sometimes a slant.
Newspapers have both reporters and columnists on staff. Mac's columns are editorials / analysis, of course they will include opinion. You're suggesting OpEds have no place in journalism?

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Question for the Star-Telegram...

If you claim that TCU didn't do enough, should have known, no way they would have missed this being public record... what's your excuse? Are you telling me you didn't know about this until someone on this board posted the link to that third-party site with his mugshot? Why didn't you know about this arrest back in March?

Mean Purple

Newspapers have both reporters and columnists on staff. Mac's columns are editorials / analysis, of course they will include opinion. You're suggesting OpEds have no place in journalism?
No, if you read what I wrote, Muck was an example. Not everything he writes is op ed. There is a difference. Saying that a reporter was 100% facts as response to the warranted comments of others that some of what journalists have put out there is either incorrect, opinion, or worse, put out there without the response from both sides when they knew the response is comming or they did not even ask for a response on that topic from one side, is a little off.
Reality is, Start Telegram and others are trying to cover their own ass, while tinting a story. That's how they get sales.

Chongo94

So DFW, Houston, Austin....more or less the three biggest cities/metro areas in Texas?

I also see articles on ESPN, Yahoo Sports, CBSSports, Sports Illustrated....not exactly the best evidence that this isn't a big deal.

Yeah, I just typed in Gary Patterson and NONE of those you just mentioned had stories about him listed in the top news section. All were startlegram and sb nation stories.

Typed in Turpin and you get more stories but most, especially the ones from larger publishers like ESPN and whatnot, were matter of fact done and dusted articles. There were none from yahoo sports that showed up in the initial list. And again, the ESPN and cbs sports articles were nearly 24 hours old.

So yeah, once again, reasonably certain this isn’t a big deal to anyone else other than some college football fans in Texas and it will be forgotten quickly.

Last edited:

Mean Purple

Yeah, I just typed in Gary Patterson and NONE of those you just mentioned had stories about him listed in the top news section. All were startlegram and sb nation stories.

Typed in Turpin and you get more stories but most, especially the ones from larger publishers like ESPN and whatnot, were matter of fact done and dusted articles. There were none from yahoo sports that showed up in the initial list. And again, the ESPN and cbs sports articles were nearly 24 hours old.

So yeah, once again, reasonably certain this isn’t a big deal to anyone else other than some college football fans in Texas and it will be forgotten quickly.
BIG 12 radio channel on SXM this morning was pointing out that GP and TCU acted quickly, given the facts they have at this point. Credited Gary for possibly acting too quick given there has not been a conviction, but realized in this day and age, not really an option. Said he has been forthcoming.

Eight

i haven't heard it discussed on any of the houston sports stations, but then again college sports for anything other than betting purposes and 15 minutes coaches shows don't get much talk on the stations i listen when it is on

Last edited:

Eight

i would recommend a looped tape of whale sounds. far more informative than the ticket