• The KillerFrogs

Regarding Turpin

Froglaw

I research criminal backgrounds all the time. Services only point you to case files with cause numbers and general catagories. You have to get the court file to be sure and it has to be a certified copy to be admissible.

That said, I miss charges and convictions all the time because of multiple reasons.

If Turpin lied to TCU and TCU just read a service report, then it is easy to miss the DV charge when it is not a Final Conviction.

Remember, it was a charge and not a conviction.

The cover up is on KT.

TCU found out and immediately dismissed.

Absent hiring a Private Investigator to run 660 background checks on every scholarship athlete on every Monday, how is a school not going to miss something. Even then, Investigation firms are not police so they miss information too.

Black eye for TCU in the press, yes.

Death of our program, no.

Last edited:

Moose Stuff

I research criminal backgrounds all the time. Services only point you to case files with cause numbers and general caragories. You have to get the court file to be sure and it has to be a certified copy to be admissible.

That said, I miss charges and convictions all the time because of multiple reasons.

If Turpin lied to TCU and TCU just read a service report, then it is easy to miss the DV charge when it is not a Final Conviction.

The cover up is on KT.

Absent hiring a Private Investigator to run 660 background checks on every scholarship athlete on every Monday, how is a school not going to miss something. Even then, Investigation firms are not police so they miss information too.

Agree 110%. Lesson learned.

And I’ll add that it’s REAL easy for me to see how Gary/TCU wouldn’t think there was anything more to this when 7 months go by and not another word is ever said about it by anyone.

I'm disappointed in how many of you can't see how you would be looking at this if it was Baylor, or Oklahoma, UT, or Tech.

I've learned a lot about KT the last few days that apparently the athletic department knew from the start (about KT's background and volatile relationship). I fully believe in giving him and others a chance at every level, but I'm disappointed they knew about the arrest of a student athlete that was practically the face of the program but didn't use their full resources to investigate. Knowing some of these people personally, I don't think it was with malice, but I do think it is a problem that we didn't engage the TCU police department to do a check for us on this and every report of an arrest. Perhaps there's a reason we didn't engage TCU police - some separation between athletics/police/student privacy thing we don't understand. As I take that to it's logical end I can see a problem (why not every student - well because that's creepy - so why just athletes?). Regardless, it seems like if we want to run a very clean athletic program - those departments should be working hand in hand. TCU's reputation was built on Athletics in the last 20 years. It can also fall by it. See Louisville and Baylor...

TCU Athletics can do better - and I think they will do better. But we have to take our licks on this one, in my opinion. And that's the Fort Worth Star-Telegrams' job - to investigate, to editorialize, and hopefully let TCU know that someone is watching us carefully so we don't end up on ESPN's 40 for 40.

MAF

Last edited:

Pharm Frog

I'm disappointed in how many of you can't see how you would be looking at this if it was Baylor, or Oklahoma, UT, or Tech.

I've learned a lot about KT the last few days that apparently the athletic department knew from the start (about KT's background and volatile relationship). I fully believe in giving him and others a chance at every level, but I'm disappointed they knew about the arrest of a student athlete that was practically the face of the program but didn't use their full resources to investigate. Knowing some of these people personally. I don't think it was with malice, but I do think it is a problem that we didn't engage the TCU police department to do a check for us on this and every report of an arrest. Perhaps there's a reason we didn't engage TCU police - some separation between athletics/police/student privacy thing we don't understand. As I take that to it's logical end I can see a problem (why not every student - well because that's creepy - so why just athletes?). Regardless, t seems like if we want to run a very clean athletic program - those departments should be working hand in hand. TCU's reputation was built on Athletics in the last 20 years. It can also fall by it. See Louisville and Baylor...

TCU Athletics can do better - and I think they will do better. But we have to take our licks on this one, in my opinion. And that's the Fort Worth Star-Telegrams' job - to investigate, to editorialize, and hopefully let TCU know that someone is watching us carefully so we don't end up on ESPN's 40 for 40.

MAF

Hi Mac!

Moose Stuff

I've learned a lot about KT the last few days that apparently the athletic department knew from the start (about KT's background and volatile relationship). I fully believe in giving him and others a chance at every level, but I'm disappointed they knew about the arrest of a student athlete that was practically the face of the program but didn't use their full resources to investigate. Knowing some of these people personally. I don't think it was with malice, but I do think it is a problem that we didn't engage the TCU police department to do a check for us on this and every report of an arrest. Perhaps there's a reason we didn't engage TCU police - some separation between athletics/police/student privacy thing we don't understand. As I take that to it's logical end I can see a problem (why not every student - well because that's creepy - so why just athletes?). Regardless, t seems like if we want to run a very clean athletic program - those departments should be working hand in hand. TCU's reputation was built on Athletics in the last 20 years. It can also fall by it. See Louisville and Baylor...

MAF

I’m not sure what board you’ve been reading but it’s fairly unanimous on here that while it appears that Gary is being honest about his knowledge of the incident he and TCU could have done more. And TCU admitted as much yesterday. Perhaps posters aren’t reacting like they did to Baylor or OU because this incident doesn’t involve the cover up of multiple rapes or a video of a guy putting his fist through a girl’s face.

jake102

You’re missing the point MAF (same as Todd). The FWST didn’t just “report the facts”. They reported the facts mixed in with their own commentary, opinions and told the reader how you should feel about the situation. That’s not their job. Pretty sure the dooshbags article used the phrase “egregious oversight” or something like that. It’s sensationalism and dishonest reporting by adding in such phrases

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Anyone know more about this?

Unredacted Police report obtained by the Star-Telegram, not the same report given to TCU by the third-party commercial reporting system (which was incomplete). Mac and the Star-Telegram want to act as through TCU knew about Turpin because their copy of the police report has the DV charge listed, ignoring the fact that TCU did follow through with an investigation but wasn't provided the full details (unbeknownst to them). And they're using that to try and crucify coach and the program.

Moose Stuff

Unredacted Police report obtained by the Star-Telegram, not the same report given to TCU by the third-party commercial reporting system (which was incomplete). Mac and the Star-Telegram want to act as through TCU knew about Turpin because their copy of the police report has the DV charge listed, ignoring the fact that TCU did follow through with an investigation but wasn't provided the full details (unbeknownst to them). And they're using that to try and crucify coach and the program.

I’m pretty sure he was referring to the tweet below that.

Bob

I research criminal backgrounds all the time. Services only point you to case files with cause numbers and general caragories. You have to get the court file to be sure and it has to be a certified copy to be admissible.

The cover up is on KT.

Maybe you could help Mac get his PI license and he could do background checks for TCU since he seems to know about that. He damn sure doesn't know anything about journalism.

Sebastian S

Never seen a town hate their local school so much.
A lot have said, they are in it for the clicks

I bet you there are more alumnis/fans of other schools just in Fort Worth than TCU alumnis/fans.

It's a juicy story that Tech, Baylor, Aggie, Texas, SMU, University of North Texas... fans love reading.
- they are the audience

riffram2011

You’re missing the point MAF (same as Todd). The FWST didn’t just “report the facts”. They reported the facts mixed in with their own commentary, opinions and told the reader how you should feel about the situation. That’s not their job. Pretty sure the dooshbags article used the phrase “egregious oversight” or something like that. It’s sensationalism and dishonest reporting by adding in such phrases

Can you point out the parts of "commentary" in the piece?

Chongo94

Reasonably certain the only press talking about this is our ridiculous hometown paper and a few reporters from Waco, Austin, and maybe Houston. This story isn’t a big deal outside of certain locales and will be quickly forgotten despite the efforts of “journalists” such as Engel.