• The KillerFrogs

Regarding Turpin

robbroyy

The bigger question is the University. Supposedly GP asked the University to look into it so I’d assume the legal counsel for the school would have been who looked into it not the WR coach.

Doesn’t our legal counsel have better access

H0RNEDFR0G

Then why isn’t that on the police report from the incident that he was given?

I am not sure, I haven't seen the police report. Maybe the battery was filed after the fact in another report. Maybe TCU received the officer's report and not the witness report? Something is fishy.

CountryFrog

I agree, I think he is telling the truth too. His track record for handling these things speaks for itself.

At the same time, somehow our staff was not aware of a DV charge dating back six months. Further, it appears they were aware that something happened in NM around the same time. So it appears that someone didn't do enough to check out what happened. That doesn't mean they lied, our staff could have made a mistake without any of them lying.
If they were convinced that it was only property damage according to the info they had then that's that. Why would any of them think "we better launch more of an investigation to make sure there wasn't actually a murder in here too at some point."

HFrog1999

If they were convinced that it was only property damage according to the info they had then that's that. Why would any of them think "we better launch more of an investigation to make sure there wasn't actually a murder in here too at some point."

If Turpin has legal trouble in New Mexico, I may know a guy who can help...

giphy.gif

Mean Purple

The bigger question is the University. Supposedly GP asked the University to look into it so I’d assume the legal counsel for the school would have been who looked into it not the WR coach.

Doesn’t our legal counsel have better access
Really depends what was actually out there in the avenues that they would look in a manner of best practice. NCIC? etc.? They looked, found only a doc on the property damage. Pretty much what they had to go with at that point.

Can't blame the court in NM either. I'm sure their are all sorts of restrictions on who they can notifiy directly on these types of issues.

Heck, GP talking about it to the point he did will likely get the school a new law suit.

Mean Purple

It's my understanding we asked for the police reports. I don't know how these reports/situations go, but what are we supposed to do? I assume we called and asked for the police report for Turpin and they sent the report that listed the property damage. Should we have called back and asked them to double check that there's nothing else?

At some point you can only do so much. If we had just listened to Turpin and said "cool, don't damage property again" then that's an issue. But if we called and asked for a police report, reviewed it and made a decision, I would consider that as due diligence. I guess in the future we will have to harass police stations to triple check there's nothing else.
Spot on.

The fact that the school checked and found what was available to them at the time also shows how muck's article earlier today was worded to be a cheap bogus hit piece.

riffram2011

New Mexico police don’t know how TCU couldn’t have known about Turpin’s assault charge

The Las Cruces police department doesn’t know how TCU wouldn’t have known about the battery charges. All of the charges were filed on the same day – a battery charge, a criminal damage to the property of a household member and interference with communications.

“The criminal complaint contains the information relevant to the arrest and, obviously, contains information on both charges (the battery against a HHM [household member] and the criminal damage to property),” said Dan Trujillo, the Las Cruces police department public information officer.

“It was all filed the same day and on the same complaint that was sent to [the Star-Telegram]. Anyone who would have requested the criminal complaint would have received the same document that [the Star-Telegram] received.”

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article220481475.html

I'm sorry, but it's looking more like an active cover up.

Chongo94

New Mexico police don’t know how TCU couldn’t have known about Turpin’s assault charge

The Las Cruces police department doesn’t know how TCU wouldn’t have known about the battery charges. All of the charges were filed on the same day – a battery charge, a criminal damage to the property of a household member and interference with communications.

“The criminal complaint contains the information relevant to the arrest and, obviously, contains information on both charges (the battery against a HHM [household member] and the criminal damage to property),” said Dan Trujillo, the Las Cruces police department public information officer.

“It was all filed the same day and on the same complaint that was sent to [the Star-Telegram]. Anyone who would have requested the criminal complaint would have received the same document that [the Star-Telegram] received.”

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article220481475.html

Yikes.

Mean Purple

Not really. As many of us have pointed out, there were two reports floating around, or an updated one that came later. When I looked up by case number, it only showed a report listing property damage. At one point yesterday, it showed no name entry, address, etc. But listed the crim. property damage. Then an hour later it showed Turp's personal information and the property damage. Then a little later there was the report that showed 3.

TCU has a document in had of what they found. My guess is it has a web source listed or something to the effect.

It is possible that Las Cruces filed something odd as well.

jake102

Not really. As many of us have pointed out, there were two reports floating around, or an updated one that came later. When I looked up by case number, it only showed a report listing property damage. At one point yesterday, it showed no name entry, address, etc. But listed the crim. property damage. Then an hour later it showed Turp's personal information and the property damage. Then a little later there was the report that showed 3.

TCU has a document in had of what they found. My guess is it has a web source listed or something to the effect.

It is possible that Las Cruces filed something odd as well.

I sure hope TCU started filing/documenting all of this yesterday. Seems pretty possible the Las Cruces PD is scrambling to make sure their records are up to date and accurate

Mean Purple

I sure hope TCU started filing/documenting all of this yesterday. Seems pretty possible the Las Cruces PD is scrambling to make sure their records are up to date and accurate
It was wierd when I looked it up yesterday. Dona Ana county did not have much. Looked it by the number and las cruces, nothing. added a name and there was a report, but info was not filled in. Then a little later it was filled in and just property damage. Then someone posted the dave campbell story that showed the 3 charges, but the report showing just the prop damage was still out there on the net.

Mean Purple

It was wierd when I looked it up yesterday. Dona Ana county did not have much. Looked it by the number and las cruces, nothing. added a name and there was a report, but info was not filled in. Then a little later it was filled in and just property damage. Then someone posted the dave campbell story that showed the 3 charges, but the report showing just the prop damage was still out there on the net.
To be clear. What I found yesterday was in the format of what was shown in the Texas Football (Dave Campbell) link posted earlier in this thread.

netty2424

I am not sure, I haven't seen the police report. Maybe the battery was filed after the fact in another report. Maybe TCU received the officer's report and not the witness report? Something is fishy.
I’m not an attorney or a cop, but I’m pretty sure it’s not required by law that every charge has to be placed on the person before he’s put in a cop car and that’s final, no changes, drops, additions, etc.

If there are conflicting stories, which there are in DV almost 100% of the time, I’d imagine the case is handed over for a little more investigation to sort out the facts and determine what charges, if any, will go to which involved party.

Maybe that was the case here and DV charges were added later. I don’t know, spitballing here.

From the GP notes from Don, it seemed like GP had that arrest report or some hard copy in hand. Maybe I misinterpreted that?

Mean Purple

For the lawyers on here...
Interesting question, is it normal for a report, that is presented in that star telegram article, to not have a the date or file no. filled in?

Mean Purple

I’m not an attorney or a cop, but I’m pretty sure it’s not required by law that every charge has to be placed on the person before he’s put in a cop car and that’s final, no changes, drops, additions, etc.

If there are conflicting stories, which there are in DV almost 100% of the time, I’d imagine the case is handed over for a little more investigation to sort out the facts and determine what charges, if any, will go to which involved party.

Maybe that was the case here and DV charges were added later. I don’t know, spitballing here.

From the GP notes from Don, it seemed like GP had that arrest report or some hard copy in hand. Maybe I misinterpreted that?
That is what is seemed like to me. May also explain why the police report in the start telegram response did not have a date or file no. when I looked earlier.