• The KillerFrogs

Need to study how Clemson developed staying power

Wexahu

I am convinced players are important but coaches are equally as important, if not more.

Coaching is VERY important. I see it said here all the time that the 2010-2011 (and 2014 for that matter) teams were as good as anybody in the country and could've won a national title if only given the chance......and then those same people say that we can't compete now unless we start getting a bunch of elite recruits. Well, those teams at every position had a fraction of blue chip recruits that this team does, so which is it?

Were those teams in 2010 or 2011 really not that great? Because those OLs and DLs were filled with lesser quality (and in lesser ranked) recruits than we have now and somehow they managed to play at levels just about as good as anyone in the country? Doesn't make sense.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I am convinced players are important but coaches are equally as important, if not more.

Considering that for almost all of TCU’s renaissance has been done with players most successful programs didn’t want, I’d say the majority of our success has been the result of the coaching everyone is complaining about.

Eight

Considering that for almost all of TCU’s renaissance has been done with players most successful programs didn’t want, I’d say the majority of our success has been the result of the coaching everyone is complaining about.

huh......i didn't realize gary's staff hadn't changed in 20 years

TX_Krötenechse

Coaching is VERY important. I see it said here all the time that the 2010-2011 (and 2014 for that matter) teams were as good as anybody in the country and could've won a national title if only given the chance......and then those same people say that we can't compete now unless we start getting a bunch of elite recruits. Well, those teams at every position had a fraction of blue chip recruits that this team does, so which is it?

Were those teams in 2010 or 2011 really not that great? Because those OLs and DLs were filled with lesser quality (and in lesser ranked) recruits than we have now and somehow they managed to play at levels just about as good as anyone in the country? Doesn't make sense.
I believe that the 08, 09, and 10 teams were capable of beating any team in those years.

I also believe that, despite how much we hated hearing it at the time, there is a huge difference between being able to knock out a top team one game per season and playing a full schedule of power conference teams.

To do the former, you need elite coaching and athletes who can execute the game plan. For the latter, you still need elite coaching and athletes who can execute, but you also need a large stable of athletes on the bench who can substitute and provide fresh, talented bodies, because otherwise you won’t last the season.